A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro Mirrors for A8 Follow-on Questions (Blind Spots)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Mirrors for A8 Follow-on Questions (Blind Spots)

I noticed others including "Bustter" and "jsdkms" were talking back in May about the Euro Mirrors (aspherical side-view mirrors to eliminate blind spots). Wanted to know if a group buy was ever formed or if either of you guys purchased them and how they worked out? I email sales@vagparts.com a couple times this week and never got a response about them.

There is a company in California that has "Audi Euro Blind Spot" Mirrors that may or may not be the same as the one Bustter was talking about (on his TT). They have "convex shape on the outer 1/3rd portion of the glass designed to improve visibility and help to eliminate the blind spot on the car"...so there is actually a line down 1/3 of the mirror?!? Bustter - is this the Euro Mirror that you installed on the TT OR were yours without the 1/3 split?

I'd love to hear from others who are interested in getting the blind spots lessened on this car and what experience you have or where to look further.

Also - has anyone done anything with the INSIDE rearview mirror to widen the visibility?

Guess my eyes are going at 38 year old! ?

Thanks!!

Bob
Old 07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is no such thing as a Blind Spot. Only improperly adjusted mirrors. IMO
Old 07-29-2007, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Answers....

1. jsdkms was going to inquire about a group buy, but nothing was ever posted.
2.For me, it was a bit pricey, so I'm doing without for now.
3. Vagparts has a good service rep, so maybe they are on vacation. The part number was provided in my old post. It may be though, because of exchange rate, the price has changed.
4. I don't recall where I found the "stick-on" type, but never received an answer from them to my email, and besides, I don't think it would look very good.
5. The euro mirrors on my TT came from TTStuff.com. You can look there for the specs, but they were excellent.
6. I don't have a problem with the inside mirror, but with the size of the rear headrests, I doubt whether a bigger mirror (there are many of these out there) would do much good.

As for the "not adjusting them right" argument, I don't buy it. I have owned over two dozen cars, and the TT, the S8, and a Volvo wagon were the only cars I ever had issue with. I'm not going to move the driver's seat from an otherwise ideal postition to accomodate a design defect with side vision. There is something wrong with the geometry in these cars between the seat position, side mirror attachment point, mirror size/curve, and driver height (FYI I'm pretty average- 5'11") that creates blindspots. Keep in mind that almost all TT mkI owners (particularly roadster owners) have switched over to euro mirrors, and there are some pretty knowledgeable car folks on that forum. I otherwise love my car, so this is not a complaint, but I would like to be able to upgrade the existing mirrors at a reasonable price.