A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan keeps running!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan keeps running!!

Hello Guys, My 05 A8L fan keeps running once car is warmed up and seemingly won't go off until i turn the car off. Has anyone had this issue? or does anyone have any ideas to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't recall mine ever not running.

On hot days it was like a turbine and the heat/air felt like a jet blast standing next to a wheel well.

Actually now that I think about it, it stayed running for a second or so even after turning off the vehicle.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thermostat is stuck. Search the forums. pita to do. Might as well have your whole timing belt service done now while your in there. That is it, same thing that happened to my car at only 50k.

Unless it is very hot or warm outside like it was today. I drive my A8 200 miles to Toledo and back today and when I got out the fans were running full blast. Had the ac on the whole way there and back too. So could just be the engine cooling itself down. Try running it at night when it's colder to see if the accessory fans still run. Good luck.

Last edited by Brozee; 06-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Thermostat is stuck. Search the forums. pita to do. Might as well have your whole timing belt service done now while your in there. That is it, same thing that happened to my car at only 50k.

Unless it is very hot or warm outside like it was today. I drive my A8 200 miles to Toledo and back today and when I got out the fans were running full blast. Had the ac on the whole way there and back too. So could just be the engine cooling itself down. Try running it at night when it's colder to see if the accessory fans still run. Good luck.
I've also had the coolant temp sensor ($22.00 part) fail causing this. Ice cold engine, start car and fans run full blast immediatwly even with air conditioning off (my coolant temp gauge stayed pegged at stone cold-left). If the thermostat is bad, an ice cold engine allows start up and normal operation for ten minutes max, then the temp gauge approaches red.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee

Hey Brozee,
I guess that may be the issue. It was cool up here in northwest New Jersey last night so I drove car without using AC. So as a result of driving with window open the louder running fan noise was quite noticeable at stoplights and stop signs. And when I drove into garage it was like a 747 landed.The car only has 57,000 miles. What was the damage for parts and labor? I don't intend to do this at stealership.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted a video on youtube (search audi thermostat) showing how to replace the thermo w/o doing the whole TB job. At that mileage, I would just do the thermostat.

I wouldn't hesitate going to 100kish on the belt myself. The D2 spec was 105k for the same engine which is about right. They lowered it for the D3. But the million dollar question, where is the gauge? Is it actually running hot?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I've also had the coolant temp sensor ($22.00 part) fail causing this. Ice cold engine, start car and fans run full blast immediatwly even with air conditioning off (my coolant temp gauge stayed pegged at stone cold-left)
Aha - my bad.
Didn't catch that is was running from cold start for OP.

It also tends to get/stay a hell of a lot warmer here than in NJ
Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8CT
I posted a video on youtube (search audi thermostat) showing how to replace the thermo w/o doing the whole TB job. At that mileage, I would just do the thermostat.

I wouldn't hesitate going to 100kish on the belt myself. The D2 spec was 105k for the same engine which is about right. They lowered it for the D3. But the million dollar question, where is the gauge? Is it actually running hot?
The temp gauge hasn't moved I've been watching it the car has shown no signs of overheating yet so I'll see if that fact peaks any other of my fellow audiholics interest before proceeding with getting thermostat replaced this coming week.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if it's not running hot I wouldn't worry about it, there's something else that's probably causing the fan to stay on.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefironbear
The temp gauge hasn't moved I've been watching it the car has shown no signs of overheating yet so I'll see if that fact peaks any other of my fellow audiholics interest before proceeding with getting thermostat replaced this coming week.
If by no movement you mean pegged at cold/left position, I say it is the coolant temp sensor. Low cost part, somewhat of a pita to get at but easily replaced.

Quick Reply: Fan keeps running!!