A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few problems at my '06 A8 W12

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few problems at my '06 A8 W12

Hello Guys,

I'm just try to collect all the problems, what I think I have on my car, so please let me help about them! I have 80tKM in the car. In the past 2 years, I went only approximately 1000 km.

Here are the facts:

If I'm standing in front of the car, I hear a kind of propeller noise "wom...wom...wom..." from the right side of the car. (2 years ago, I had a huge noise, so I took the car to the Audi service, and they said, the steering servo had not enough oil.) I also had a small "puddle" under the car with a pinky fluid (maybe steering oil).

The next problem, if I'm accelerating hardly, from low speed, when it makes the change I hear a kind of "wuuup" sound. I also feel this at the transmission rod in my hand. The gear is changing well, maybe it can be also a low oil level for the car, because I don't think after 80tKM it should be any bigger problem.

The third one is that when I parked the car, the handbrake seem to be not finding the end position so it make continously a strange noise. After that I switched off the engine. It wrote, that a brake problem he has. And after a while, 10 sec later, the car found the end pos of the handbrake. from that, I didn't have the problem.

For the first step, I think is OK, so please let me know Your ideas about this!

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Starting from the end:

- your parking brake is OK. It is just resetting itself from time to time.

- I believe the sound you hear when transmission shifts is hooting. It happens usually when shifting 3>4 and 4>3. It sounds early at 80K km. It may help if you change transmission fluid. W12 use blue fluid that can be replaced with ZF's Lifeguard8. Cheaper and easier to find.

- First check power steering fluid level. Could be a pump if you used it for a longer time with low fluid.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default As recently as the last 2 months, LifeGuard 8 (green) was not...

the recommended W12 fluid per Audi's specs. It remains blue. Call Loree at audiusaparts (Sunset Audi) and ask; I did. Or, see ZF's list of lubricants by tranny type. The W12 model is specifically broken out, and uses Lifeguard 6+ (aka blue) Blue from Sunset was also about the same price as green from the green prices I've seen posted. And, I had no trouble buying blue, from them or from ECS. The post "echoing" of this seemingly faulty info touting green or that blue isn't available is unfortunate. My info is first person from checking and buying it (easily) in recent months, and sticking with the current Audi factory and ZF W12 tranny specs.

And, as a variety of folks have posted, if you switch types it takes two to three changes to get to mostly the new type--that is very expensive w/ either green or blue, so as a practical matter, I would stick with blue in any tranny that has blue going into the change, meaning all W12's for starters.

For the OP, I can't really tell from the info provided what your issues might be. Could be low tranny fluid for the shifting one, but then that's a "symptom" itself--it doesn't just evaporate, so in turn you could have a leak.

The noise you describe in the front right could be just a belt noise, or could be one of several pumps--steering, water, etc. If you saw "pinky fluid," the only fluid likely to look pink would be the coolant. Again, look at the fluid level; I would not expect steering fluid to have an obvious color like that. Loss of coolant coupled with front noise could suggest a failing water pump bearing.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-04-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
As recently as the last 2 months, LifeGuard 8 (green) was not the recommended W12 fluid per Audi's specs.
Good to know, although I am positive that if one changed it two months ago for the green it won't make any difference. It's also good to know that blue is available. May be it was not two months ago, before they decided that W12 should stick with it.