A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figured it out finally---leaking valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its worth a try, it only costs you time. Audi definitely shoe-horned that motor in.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterp27
Its definitely plastic and there is no machining of plastic that I am aware of.....
We machine plastic all day here at my work (industrial food equipment) the real question is what kind of plastic is it, and how brittle is it now? It might not hold up well to further machining and leave you with out a super smooth surface to seal against.

I have seen people make their own gaskets out of thicker material to get more crush out of warped parts, but I don't know if you can get the same type of material as the OEM gaskets.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterp27
Its definitely plastic and there is no machining of plastic that I am aware of. I am resigned that this one is borderline ruined due to the amount of heat that is generated under the hood and on the block. All the other ends/sides are straight and yes you would think the bolt/screw would flatten it out and seal the corner and it does, but not all the way. Once its tightened down it all appears to be good but clearly its not because enough seeps out to drip onto the exhaust and continue to smoke.
So, here is the open question to the team: I have some Permatex black that I can use to attempt to seal it just a little bit more. Clearly i want the new gasket to sit flush on the block but what would be the best way to make use of the permatex? The only way that I can see that it would be effective would be to run a thin bead inside the small gasket valley that the gasket sits inside and while its still wet, to go ahead and place it back onto the block and cinch it down. I'd let it dry for 24 hours before starting the engine and raise it to operating temp. Am I on the right path here?
Yes. It's a crap shoot still. Also, from the peanuts galley in which the rest us us sit, I don't even know if that cover is flat on the mating surface or has some kind of channel into which the gasket fits. I bet some are thinking the former that might be machinable or at least sandable. But if its the latter, no go without a lot of customization of that channel area holding a nested seal.

Yes the Permatex. New gasket again so you can cinch it down and have more "springiness"/resiliency in the material before it starts to take its own heat set. After a while though, may be little choice but to replace cover. BTDT on other types of equipment with seals under stress, like pool pumps and filters and such. Sometimes just no band aiding or just an incremental seal or other patches.

BTW, on the "stress" theme and as mentioned before, make sure motor isn't pressurizing, especially with your prior history of painful oil leaks in critical areas. That is going to defeat your best efforts and just cause the next weakest link to go in turn.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As you may know I can't check it on my A8, but from the picture here it definitely looks like send cast aluminum (may be magnesium). How and why would plastic have that rough surface?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
As you may know I can't check it on my A8, but from the picture here it definitely looks like send cast aluminum (may be magnesium). How and why would plastic have that rough surface?
It also says in that SsP that it's cast.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Guys,
I rarely ask people to trust me, but TRUST ME.........this thing is as plastic as plastic gets. It has a finish that makes it look magnesium or aluminum, but once you have it in your hands, you know its plastic. It is almost translucent once you have it off. Bout to go seal it with permatex and see what happens tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

So the results are in and they are mixed. After laying a small bead down in the valley where the gasket fits (at the back bottom corner) it seems that I have slowed the leak to a minimum. After getting the motor to operating temperature and driving it around for 20 minutes, there is a very small amount (much much less than before) of smoke emanating from somewhere along the exhaust manifold. At this point its something I can live with until I decide that a 400 dollar valve cover is in the budget.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

After fixing the gasket leak in a D3, it took a bit for the smell of burnt oil to go away.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jack88,

I hope that maybe that's what I am seeing, but I just cannot tell yet.......
The easiest way to see if its smoking is actually at night when the headlights are on and you can see if any smoke whisps in front of the headlight. I am guessing at this point but I still think there may be a leak, but as stated previously its tolerable at this point.