A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY DONE - Deathtrap going back to Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, what replaced the Audi?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REPORT, REPORT, REPORT,to national traffic safety admin. and AUDI

IF EVERYONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM CALLS AUDI AND FILES A REPORT WITH FEDS, AFTER FIRST ACCIDENT THERE WILL BE A FORCED RECALL. STARTING REPORTING TO AUDI EVERYTIME YOU HAVE A WIPER PROBLEM...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I reported mine to the ntsb and spoke with Audi a couple of times

before my dealer agreed to replace the wiper motor. Hmm... maybe the 18 y/o scotch I gave him, after he fixed a different problem I was having, had something to do with it =)
Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Im already talking to my dealership about it.

mechanic said the brain is on the motor. So when the motor is replaced the electrics are replaced.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM

Default Re: So, if it is known that replacing the wiper motor fixes the problem and the dealer refuses to do

Maybe I'm just brought up differently than you, but I believe that if I pay for something, I shouldn't have to pay more to have it done right.

Furthermore, I didn't know about the wiper-motor fix until this week. I would also expect my dealer and Audi to do the research on why the car I paid THEM money for isn't safe to drive.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:40 AM

Default Let's make this public

I just registered

http://www.wiperdance.com

and will post my experience there. If I have time, I might even transcribe and/or post the phone conversations I had with Diane from the Audi "Advocates" program (man, the "d" is so close to the "s" on the keyboard) and Gary Heckman, Napleton's Audi Service Manager.

As late as two weeks ago, he claimed he had never heard of this problem before. I just put in another call to him a few moments ago, requesting pricing for the wiper-motor parts & labor cost, as well as an innocent request if he has found out any more about this issue.

I figure it's his time to shine. Judging by the half-dozen or so folks who have reported the same issue, and the successful fix, a reasonable guess would be that Audi America is in the know. Some dealers (and Audi Advocates) are reading this board. But maybe my "Advocate" Diane and my Service Manager Gary are just as much lemons as my A8 turned out to be?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Default Problems in Germany, too -- KNOWN problems

I decided to google in my native German as well.

Oh lookie here:
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/probleme-scheibenwischer-t226631.html

Three people reported problems, and then someone says there is a redesigned wiper motor available:
Part# 4E1 955 119 B

So not only do they know about this problem "at home", but they have a definitive fix for it.

This post with the replacement part number was posted 2/2/2004 -- FOUR YEARS AGO.

Hard to believe they haven't told Audi America about this. Nor that they didn't tell their dealers?

This also would mean that the problems are most likely limited to 2004s.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Problems in Germany, too -- KNOWN problems

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/scheibenwischer-ruhestellung-t1577699.html
Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A Caddy, can you believe it?

I don't know if you catch this post but I ended up getting a CTS-V.

400 Hp with a six-speed manual is just so much rocket-sled fun.

Truly miss the sophistication of the A8 class auto, so I don't know how long I'll stick with the CTS-V. But I am impressed with the general quality of the caddy.

How are you doin' in Bimmer land?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Ewww, domestic ;-)

Well, at least we stayed with the import theme. And of all possible ones, a Kia Sedona MINIVAN. Highest safety rating won out (in part why we went from an A6 to an A8 with ASF before). And low payments, because we didn't know how long it would take Audi to correct their mistake. 250 horses and 250ft-lbs of torque makes it go ok. Aside from that, it has the aerodynamics of your average wardrobe, and all manner of problems turning that torque into momentum.

Don't get me wrong folks -- I love the A8. Never had a better car.

Our next Audi would have been the Q7, for family reasons. If the A8L had been safe to drive for the last 17 months, forcing us to get alternate transportation, we'd be driving one of those next week.

Quick Reply: FINALLY DONE - Deathtrap going back to Audi