A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day in my S8 (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First day in my S8 (very long)

I took the plunge and bought an '07 S8.

I currently have a Porsche 997 Carrera S as an almost-daily driver, and an Infiniti QX56 beast as a family/snow hauler/daily driver. (Wife drives an Odyssey.) I had grown tired of either of these as a commuter -- the 997 is too loud & rough, and too much of a struggle to squeeze the kids in & out of the back seat. The Infiniti too cumbersome. Time for something I'd never owned before -- a sedan. Wife agreed to sell the Odyssey and keep the Infiniti as her car. I had committed to an A8, as they are gorgeous and classy and quiet and powerful and unique (I'd go so far as to call it rare). But then the "upgrade" bug bit me as it always does (hence the Carrera S instead of the perfectly adequate Carrera)....'How about an S8?' the devil on my shoulder kept whispering. 'It's only an extra $15k, and you'll get it back at resale!'

Like most of us, I had never driven an S8 to even compare to an A8. I tried to sample one at my dealership in Denver, but an IQ-challenged salesman scoffed at my inquiry and claimed they had only sold 3 (ever) and could not get me one for under $150k (huh? nice attempt to sell me the A8L off the lot, dude). So I took a chance, sight unseen, and imported a pre-owned one from New Jersey. It was delivered to me at my mountain house in Breckenridge, CO Wednesday night. Thanksgiving was a nice opportunity to get to know my new companion...Here are my first impressions, keeping in mind that a 997 S is what I'm used to on a daily basis.

This S8 is Daytona Gray with the full leather package in solid black, wood trim (no carbon fiber), 40k miles, 13 months left on the warranty, summer tires, and no B&O (personally I don't care as the Bose sounds fine to my undemanding ears). In my short time with the car, I can already see that the S8 is a different beast than anything I've ever experienced before. It's fast and gorgeous, smooth and quiet, solid and huge, pampering and angry. It's an A8 when you're loafing down the road nonchalantly. Virtually silent in cruising mode, it coddles and pampers and absorbs bumps and road imperfections with only the slightest "thump". Even at 40k miles, the car is astoundingly solid. Not a rattle or squeak at all. (except the occasional rub of leather-on-leather, and oh yeah, the harsh clack of the armrests, which are entirely out of place in this car - the allroad armrests were much better). Like the A8, it is immensely comfortable, coddling and cushy. There is no wind noise, no real tire noise. It feels firmer than the A8, and not quite as isolated, but it is still amazingly luxurious. My 5-year old fell asleep in the first 10 minutes of our drive, something he has NEVER done in our 997 Carrera S. Oh, and the seats are INCREDIBLE! So soft and enveloping, yet so supportive and adjustable in every way imaginable. You sink into these seats, and you feel protected. The isolation and comfort is so immense that the car makes you want to drive slower. "There's no hurry, I'm pretty content right here...."

But like Dr. Jekyll turning into Mr. Hyde, the S8 comes alive when you want it to, MUCH more so than the A8. Flip the shifter over into manual and tug the paddle shifter once or twice and the engine goes into song, barking a throaty growl that grows as the scenery moves into fast-forward and the rush of controlled thrust sets in. It is not crazy, scary fast like a proper sports car (or even a Mercedes E63 which accelerates so brutally that it causes mind-boggling vertigo). The rush of power in the S8 is more like sitting in a fine leather chair during takeoff in a 747. You know it's accelerating brutally, but the mass swaddles and protects you, filtering out the stresses of massive thrust. Acceleration is not instantaneous, either. If you floor the throttle, regardless of what gear you're in, it takes a split second to compose itself and begin the gutteral rush toward 7000 rpm. It's a very different feeling than flooring it in the Porsche, which shoots forward instantly with g-force challenging thrust. Like other Audis I've owned, there seems to be a cushion built into the first inch of the accelerator pedal. You have to get past that cushion to convince the car you're serious about moving forward in a hurry. In my 2.7T allroad, I always thought this was the turbos spooling up. But interestingly, the V10 in the S8 has a similar delay. Not a bad thing, just something I'll have to grow accustomed to.

On twisty mountain roads, the S8 is a completely different animal than the A8. The A8 handles nicely but is unable to hide its weight. The S8 does not suffer this malady. It handles tightly, stays flat through corners, and points in beautifully. It does not quite feel small and lithe like a 911, but that's not what I was expecting. This is a 5-seater luxury saloon. It's not a sports car. Good, because I was not looking for a sports car.

Some other general observations: The S8 with summer tires is not safe in snowy Colorado winters. I got the car completely sideways on a snow/ice-covered road, and even a modestly-steep incline presents a serious challenge to the traction control. Trying to stop on a snowy road causes the ABS to dance crazily. Snow tires are absolutely mandatory. I'm glad I never heard the B & O sound system, because the Bose sounds just fine to me. (although to be honest, I found myself turning it down to satisfy a craving to hear that V10 scream). The "S" steering wheel alone is enough to justify the price increase over an A8 -- it feels hefty and contoured in all the right spots, and the leather is soft and supple. And the full leather package is DEFINITELY worth the $5000 it cost the original owner. It makes the interior feel absolutely special. The windows seem thick - do all S8's come with double-laminated glass? The "passenger airbag off" light is ridiculous. MMI is quite nice -- much better than my Infiniti, which is a year newer. The Navigation, however, is outdated -- light-years behind the Infiniti, which is only 1 year newer. I actually really like the auto-closing doors. Every car ought to have these seats - they are that good. The driving position is nice -- like sitting back and waiting to get shot out of a cannon. And the little things are what makes this car (and the A8) so special: like being able to pull up the digital speedometer or switch over to various other central displays, being able to close the Nav/MMI screen and enjoy the simple beauty of the wood, the one-touch cruise control, the multi-color instrument panel and central display...the list is truly endless.

Tomorrow I make the 100-mile drive back to Denver. I'm taking the long way as it will give me the chance to enjoy the twisties rather than being stuck on I-70 with the rest of the Thanksgiving ski crowd. If my impressions of the S8 change, I'll let you know. Until then, I would highly recommend it.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default follow-up pics

A few pics of the S8 in the Breckenridge snow
Attached Images    
Old 11-28-2009, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Congrats, it looks like a beautiful ride. Very nice write-up, BTW.

And, yes those summer tires need to come off pronto. Let us know what winter shoes you decide on.

Happy holidays (not a bad holiday gift, eh?) ;^)
Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Great writeup. You definitely need winter tires. The owners manual and brochures also confirm this.

My only disagreement would be with the devil who told you you'll get the extra $15k back at resale time. Then again, this is coming from a guy who typically donates his cars to charity because they have little to no value when I'm done with them.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Fabulous writeup and congrats on the new car. I actually had a 997S concurrent with the S8 for a period of time. I was so happy with the performance of the S8 (and given we have two kids) I ended up selling the 997S. IMHO, the V10 S8 will be considered a classic for decades to come, especially if the D4s opt for forced induction and lesser displacement.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on the great write up
Old 11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, Aerosmith, I followed your multiple threads pondering the purchase of your S8, sale of your 997, decision to keep the 997, etc. with enlightened amusement. Your observations of the S8 performance as a replacement for -- rather than simply a supplement to-- the 997 S was a large factor in my decision to go with the S8. My initial plan has been (like you) to keep the 997 until I am sure that the S8 will suffice. I can already see that on the horizon... once I become accustomed to going fast in a big heavy car, rather than a small light car, I simply won't need the 911 anymore.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mountainhigh
I took the plunge and bought an '07 S8.

I currently have a Porsche 997 Carrera S as an almost-daily driver, and an Infiniti QX56 beast as a family/snow hauler/daily driver. (Wife drives an Odyssey.) I had grown tired of either of these as a commuter -- the 997 is too loud & rough, and too much of a struggle to squeeze the kids in & out of the back seat. The Infiniti too cumbersome. Time for something I'd never owned before -- a sedan. Wife agreed to sell the Odyssey and keep the Infiniti as her car. I had committed to an A8, as they are gorgeous and classy and quiet and powerful and unique (I'd go so far as to call it rare). But then the "upgrade" bug bit me as it always does (hence the Carrera S instead of the perfectly adequate Carrera)....'How about an S8?' the devil on my shoulder kept whispering. 'It's only an extra $15k, and you'll get it back at resale!'

Like most of us, I had never driven an S8 to even compare to an A8. I tried to sample one at my dealership in Denver, but an IQ-challenged salesman scoffed at my inquiry and claimed they had only sold 3 (ever) and could not get me one for under $150k (huh? nice attempt to sell me the A8L off the lot, dude). So I took a chance, sight unseen, and imported a pre-owned one from New Jersey. It was delivered to me at my mountain house in Breckenridge, CO Wednesday night. Thanksgiving was a nice opportunity to get to know my new companion...Here are my first impressions, keeping in mind that a 997 S is what I'm used to on a daily basis.

This S8 is Daytona Gray with the full leather package in solid black, wood trim (no carbon fiber), 40k miles, 13 months left on the warranty, summer tires, and no B&O (personally I don't care as the Bose sounds fine to my undemanding ears). In my short time with the car, I can already see that the S8 is a different beast than anything I've ever experienced before. It's fast and gorgeous, smooth and quiet, solid and huge, pampering and angry. It's an A8 when you're loafing down the road nonchalantly. Virtually silent in cruising mode, it coddles and pampers and absorbs bumps and road imperfections with only the slightest "thump". Even at 40k miles, the car is astoundingly solid. Not a rattle or squeak at all. (except the occasional rub of leather-on-leather, and oh yeah, the harsh clack of the armrests, which are entirely out of place in this car - the allroad armrests were much better). Like the A8, it is immensely comfortable, coddling and cushy. There is no wind noise, no real tire noise. It feels firmer than the A8, and not quite as isolated, but it is still amazingly luxurious. My 5-year old fell asleep in the first 10 minutes of our drive, something he has NEVER done in our 997 Carrera S. Oh, and the seats are INCREDIBLE! So soft and enveloping, yet so supportive and adjustable in every way imaginable. You sink into these seats, and you feel protected. The isolation and comfort is so immense that the car makes you want to drive slower. "There's no hurry, I'm pretty content right here...."

But like Dr. Jekyll turning into Mr. Hyde, the S8 comes alive when you want it to, MUCH more so than the A8. Flip the shifter over into manual and tug the paddle shifter once or twice and the engine goes into song, barking a throaty growl that grows as the scenery moves into fast-forward and the rush of controlled thrust sets in. It is not crazy, scary fast like a proper sports car (or even a Mercedes E63 which accelerates so brutally that it causes mind-boggling vertigo). The rush of power in the S8 is more like sitting in a fine leather chair during takeoff in a 747. You know it's accelerating brutally, but the mass swaddles and protects you, filtering out the stresses of massive thrust. Acceleration is not instantaneous, either. If you floor the throttle, regardless of what gear you're in, it takes a split second to compose itself and begin the gutteral rush toward 7000 rpm. It's a very different feeling than flooring it in the Porsche, which shoots forward instantly with g-force challenging thrust. Like other Audis I've owned, there seems to be a cushion built into the first inch of the accelerator pedal. You have to get past that cushion to convince the car you're serious about moving forward in a hurry. In my 2.7T allroad, I always thought this was the turbos spooling up. But interestingly, the V10 in the S8 has a similar delay. Not a bad thing, just something I'll have to grow accustomed to.

On twisty mountain roads, the S8 is a completely different animal than the A8. The A8 handles nicely but is unable to hide its weight. The S8 does not suffer this malady. It handles tightly, stays flat through corners, and points in beautifully. It does not quite feel small and lithe like a 911, but that's not what I was expecting. This is a 5-seater luxury saloon. It's not a sports car. Good, because I was not looking for a sports car.

Some other general observations: The S8 with summer tires is not safe in snowy Colorado winters. I got the car completely sideways on a snow/ice-covered road, and even a modestly-steep incline presents a serious challenge to the traction control. Trying to stop on a snowy road causes the ABS to dance crazily. Snow tires are absolutely mandatory. I'm glad I never heard the B & O sound system, because the Bose sounds just fine to me. (although to be honest, I found myself turning it down to satisfy a craving to hear that V10 scream). The "S" steering wheel alone is enough to justify the price increase over an A8 -- it feels hefty and contoured in all the right spots, and the leather is soft and supple. And the full leather package is DEFINITELY worth the $5000 it cost the original owner. It makes the interior feel absolutely special. The windows seem thick - do all S8's come with double-laminated glass? The "passenger airbag off" light is ridiculous. MMI is quite nice -- much better than my Infiniti, which is a year newer. The Navigation, however, is outdated -- light-years behind the Infiniti, which is only 1 year newer. I actually really like the auto-closing doors. Every car ought to have these seats - they are that good. The driving position is nice -- like sitting back and waiting to get shot out of a cannon. And the little things are what makes this car (and the A8) so special: like being able to pull up the digital speedometer or switch over to various other central displays, being able to close the Nav/MMI screen and enjoy the simple beauty of the wood, the one-touch cruise control, the multi-color instrument panel and central display...the list is truly endless.

Tomorrow I make the 100-mile drive back to Denver. I'm taking the long way as it will give me the chance to enjoy the twisties rather than being stuck on I-70 with the rest of the Thanksgiving ski crowd. If my impressions of the S8 change, I'll let you know. Until then, I would highly recommend it.
Beautiful Car... I actually had an offer in on this car with the guy at Hillside until I believe you hit the buy it now button on the ebay auction or at least matched it. It was a great deal. I kicked myself for not doing it after it was sold just to save a couple of grand.

Always takes guts buying sight unseen, but the savings is awful hard to resist.

I ended up buying a car through a dealer in CT he got a car I had picked out at an auction in Orlando. 2006 A8L Black over Amaretto. Optioned to the hilt with 10,000 miles.

Supposed to get it this week. Will post some pics on the forum.

Anyway couldn't resist replying since I was in "competition" with you for the car and lost. ;-).

Congratulations.. safe driving

Love that Daytona Grey...
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks...I was definitely taking a big chance, and it paid off. Car is beautiful. Remaining factory warranty makes it a bit more reassuring. Black/amaretto was my next favorite combination. I don't think you'll regret it at all.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

"Always takes guts buying sight unseen, but the savings is awful hard to resist."

Originally Posted by mountainhigh
Thanks...I was definitely taking a big chance, and it paid off. Car is beautiful. Remaining factory warranty makes it a bit more reassuring. Black/amaretto was my next favorite combination. I don't think you'll regret it at all.
I bought my two year old 2004 A8L sight unseen from Luxury Motors after looking at it on their website. I gave them a CC for $1k and said I would arrive two weeks later with certified funds as long as I liked the car when I arrived. I was going to fly in to Chicago-they would pick me up. Then, I thought if I say the car sucks they would try to have fun with me. They also said that 1K doesn't hold the car and if someone else brings in the full amount, they get the car, not me. My big thing was the pearl beige paint that I wanted. Instead, I offered to finance it through a local bank before I arrived. If the car turned out to be junk, I would walk away. Let the bank deal with them and I would only be out 1K. I arrived a day early to surprise them. The car was fine. Only two minor things; a missing rear speaker cover and no nav disc. Amazingly, they were there the next morning when I came back to pick up the car.

I'll probably do the same thing for my next car. They now have a location in Henderson right by Sunset Station.

Quick Reply: First day in my S8 (very long)