A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed my typical power trunk woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my typical power trunk woes

On my 05, the lock mechanism(not the electronic striker on the body) on the trunk lid would half latch or not latch at all hence having a partially open trunk. I was going to go to the dealer and buy a new one for over $77 plus tax. So I took the trunk lining apart and took off the mechanism that had 2 10mm nuts and I got some WD-40 and sprayed the crap out of it on the inside and I kept latching and unlatching it to work it in and it latches perfect. So I put it back together and put all of the lining back on and the trunk close perfect and latches tight like it should. The moral of this story is take it apart first and try cleaning/lubing it first.

Also I bought another brand new trunk motor and I got the metal updated one for $491 shipped through audi wholeparts website. The dealer wanted $625 plus tax for the same one. I took the old one out and had a little trouble putting the new metal one on because it's a bigger unit and the wiring harnesses are in the way but I got it in. OMG it works faster, powerful(a tad noisier), and closes and automatically latches with no problem. Feels good to have a perfectly functioning automatic trunk.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm glad you got the good one... Yes, $500 does help. Congrats... Mine is going up slowly, but it does work.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm with you...

While we can fix some things ourselves, you can't half-*** these cars. As I've written previously, I fixed my lazy boot lid, with a new metal motor. I agree though, it is a beeyatch to get it in, right? But worth the effort.

Good work,

K9

Originally Posted by 2k4blacka8
On my 05, the lock mechanism(not the electronic striker on the body) on the trunk lid would half latch or not latch at all hence having a partially open trunk. I was going to go to the dealer and buy a new one for over $77 plus tax. So I took the trunk lining apart and took off the mechanism that had 2 10mm nuts and I got some WD-40 and sprayed the crap out of it on the inside and I kept latching and unlatching it to work it in and it latches perfect. So I put it back together and put all of the lining back on and the trunk close perfect and latches tight like it should. The moral of this story is take it apart first and try cleaning/lubing it first.

Also I bought another brand new trunk motor and I got the metal updated one for $491 shipped through audi wholeparts website. The dealer wanted $625 plus tax for the same one. I took the old one out and had a little trouble putting the new metal one on because it's a bigger unit and the wiring harnesses are in the way but I got it in. OMG it works faster, powerful(a tad noisier), and closes and automatically latches with no problem. Feels good to have a perfectly functioning automatic trunk.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by K9COP
While we can fix some things ourselves, you can't half-*** these cars. As I've written previously, I fixed my lazy boot lid, with a new metal motor. I agree though, it is a beeyatch to get it in, right? But worth the effort.

Good work,

K9
Exactly. Yes it was a biotch getting it in. The very first time I got it bolted on, when closing it it came down so far like it's binding. I took it apart again and redid it but took sometime because of the bigger unit and all of those harnesses in the way to maneuver it but finally got it lined it and works like a charm. How much did you pay for yours??
Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I'm glad you got the good one... Yes, $500 does help. Congrats... Mine is going up slowly, but it does work.

Cheers,

Louis
Well yours should go up pretty fast since you have the new motor too. Unless you've been using the crap out of it lol.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The latch will work for a little while, but if you don't want to constantly lube it, you will have to replace the latch. I went through the same experience but I ended up replacing the latch and motor. Although the new motor went in so easily, it was like a 10 minute job to replace the motor.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
The latch will work for a little while, but if you don't want to constantly lube it, you will have to replace the latch. I went through the same experience but I ended up replacing the latch and motor. Although the new motor went in so easily, it was like a 10 minute job to replace the motor.

Well I was working the heck out of that latch for a while before I put it back in. How long did yours last?? How much did the part cost you?? I'm hoping that wd40 will work permanent. I guess whoever had the car before me either didn't use the trunk much or has never lubed it as routine maintenance. I've owned about 30-40 cars over the years and have never have had a latch go bad whether its the trunk and/or door.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It will last a month or so depending on your climate. Also WD40 is not a long lasting lubricant but a moisture displacement.

The latch should cost around $60 to $70 from your local dealer. It is about a 30 minute job if you are DIYer.