A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fraudulent listing!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fraudulent listing!

Hi everyone, I have been lurking around for a while and just reading what current owners are saying about their ownership experience when it comes to the S8. Having owned S4s and an Allroad I was looking at finding a decent 2008 S8. In my search I happened across a listing for a black 2008 S8 in Texas listed for $13,700.00 listed on cars.com. Found it very hard to bleieve and so I made contact and proved myself correct. Please guys its just for your own info that I post and let everyone know. Do not even bother.
Good luck and keep your eyes open.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got news for you... about 60% of the cars on Craigslist are fake listings. They get flagged in the larger markets but in some of the smaller markets you just have to sort through it and use a little common sense. Speaking of which, there's no such thing as a $14,000 D3 S8. I wouldn't have ever even bothered emailing on it because it's 100% fake.

I bet they also had their email address in a picture and tried to avoid using Craigslist's forwarder.

For future reference, if the car is a few thousand less than what it generally goes for it might be a good deal. If it's tens of thousands cheaper than what it usually goes for it's a scam.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mike, I do hear you on this. I just wanted to point out how stupid this one listing was. Like you have said, no such thing as a $14,000 S8. I was interested to just play along and see how they were going about it. So just wanted to post and see if anyone else had other interesting deals!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

lol about half the time I ask a question about something on Craigslist I get that generic "Oh, ok but I'm out of town in London right now" crap. And then they ask you to wire them money. The best is when they post something ridiculously large like a TV and then send you that email about them being abroad. "I'm in london but don't worry, I have the item with me".
Old 03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

aqua70's listing was from cars.com not craigslist.

Still the same applies, when the price is that off, it's obvious.

What isn't so obvious is when fake ads get posted with more believable but lower than market prices to try to bring prices/expectations down on legitimate listings.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ModestW12
aqua70's listing was from cars.com not craigslist.
Reading comprehension fails me again!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guys, I totally knew it was obvious but I just wanted to point it out to all. Two points, this was on cars.com and secondly you were correct as some of these listings are in my view a potential lowering of pricing expectations in the market. Have a look at ebay for instance. Hopefully the crowd here has the wherewithall to spot fraudulent listings.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are a lot a fake listings on internet. I saw a BMW for sale that seems to good to be true. I send an e-mail to the seller and this is the reply I received. Once I saw this, I knew it was fake, but I guess there are people who do fall for this kind of tricks.

"Hello,
You have to know that the 2005 BMW 328Xi SEDAN XENON LIGHTS Automatic I am selling is 100% working and great looking, no flaws or dents, no scratches or any kind of damage. The title is clear. It has 40,800 miles This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth. No electrical problems on this beauty. This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it just came off the assembly line.
I am located in Honolulu,HI.
The car is located in Madrid,Spain.
2 months ago I sent the car to my brother in ,Spain . he was sent there to improve the military relationships between our country and Spain.
with regret one week ago my brother was deployed in Afghanistan and we are forced to sell the car back in the U.S.
The price that I hope to obtain is 4500$.I am selling the car because my company U.S. Army will be sent back to Afghanistan and I have no use for it anymore. The price is low because I need to sell it before March 24th.
I want to take the opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate, the financial part of this deal will be managed by the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program. Which means that you will have a 10 days inspection period before buying the vehicle.You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and inspect it (for 10 days) eBay will release the payment to me; in this way we are both protected.You will not have any problems with registration the vehicle meets all environmental regulations in the US, there is no need to pay any additional taxes, just only the price for it.You will get from me the manuals, keys along with all the additional documents needed for registration.
My final price on it is $ 4500.This price includes all the shipping taxes and fees. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place.You will receive the car in about 3 days.

If you want to complete the purchase please send me your; Full Name and Shipping Address and I will notify eBay that you are selected as my buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Please email me ASAP if you want to move forward and let me know if you need anything else.
I will send all photo in the next mail.
Thank you and have a nice day,
Sgt. Edward Robinson
U.S. Army Garrison"
Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol. how funny is that. Sounds very similar to the email I received. especially about how ebay will manage it thru the VPP. If you take 2 mins and go to ebay it fully explains the program and you would immediately know this was fraudulent. Some really stupid people trying to con some even dumber ones.

Greg
Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aqua70
Guys, I totally knew it was obvious but I just wanted to point it out to all. Two points, this was on cars.com and secondly you were correct as some of these listings are in my view a potential lowering of pricing expectations in the market. Have a look at ebay for instance. Hopefully the crowd here has the wherewithall to spot fraudulent listings.

Cheers,
Greg
I set a bad tone for responses to this thread... I usually play much nicer!

Quick Reply: Fraudulent listing!