A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friday night out with the A8.....(longish, grab your morning cup before reading)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Friday night out with the A8.....(longish, grab your morning cup before reading)

Kelly and I decided to head out for a little dinner in Oreland, PA where she grew up. Also had to drop off paperwork for her accountant etc.

We get into town and on our way to her accountant's house I see a chocolate lab going down the side walk alone. (its pretty dark out) Kelly didn't see him at first. Kelly jumps out to approach the dog. I turn around and park in the adjacent train station parking lot. He has a collar but no tags. Sweetest dog in the world. Takes commands on demand, just licking the two of us to death. I noticed his coat was still really warm so he couldn't have been walking very long.

Lucky for us a cop pulls up like a minute or two later. Rare moment in life a cop is around when we need one. He calls it in, and checks with SPCA. Nothing. Being that both of us are dog lovers (we have a pug) we couldn't bring him to the SPCA. Since we didn't have a leash we decided we would drop off Kelly's paper work and drive around and check with random strangers in the residential area. If we didn't find the owner we'd take him home and craigslist lost and found and hope to find the owner. Then put up signs around the area where we found him saying that we found him etc.

Luckily I had some spare blankets in the trunk and we put them across the back seat, and lab just jumped right in. He sat down was nice and calm, like he was our very own dog. Drop off the paper work, check with her neighbors, no one knows of anyone that has a chocolate lab around there. (this was like 2 blocks from where we found the dog)

I go into a local dive bar a block in the other direction hoping to find a PA system to try to put the word out. No luck. Then our last attempt further up the street from where we found the dog, we decided to knock on a door of a person that Kelly's parents were friends with. An older guy, didn't even recognize Kelly. She asks, and <i>great success</i> the owner lives two doors down.

Irony here is this dog seems to be an escape artist and his name is Jake, same name as our pug! We get him home, some teenager answers the door, Kelly checks to see if they're missing a chocolate lab. Teenager didn't even realize his house was short a dog. (we had the dog at this point for like a half hour) Kid didn't even act like he cared that we brought him back. Kelly lets Jake out of the car and he runs right in the house.

We went to dinner and celebrated a little. The A8 is a great car for a big dog. He loved laying out across the back seat. He could have sat there with a passenger and still had plenty of space.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:08 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a fellow animal lover thanks for caring....not enough people seeem to care these days..
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: Friday night out with the A8.....(longish, grab your morning cup before reading)

And if it was really cold, you could have kicked on the heated seats.... unless you had a S8!

Great read, by the way. Oh, and most teenage kids are that way. Most improve in their mid- twenties when they realize that they don't know everything and that the world really doesn't revolve around them.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Friday night out with the A8.....(longish, grab your morning cup before reading)

Our Golden likes to ride on the arm rest between the front seats. We cover the entire back seat with an old comforter and put a few pillows on the hump, etc., to give support
I actually think she likes the A4 better though, as the seat are closer together and hold her in place better when cornering. What's amazing is she seems to know to lean into a curve, even before we get to it.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Actually I have to get a fabric measuring tape....

I am going to take some mearsurements and have my mom (retired interior decorator with tons of sewing machines etc) make a custom back seat cover that can go from the head rests all the way down to the foot well and over the center hump and armrest. Make it out of a canvas like material and put some rubber strips on the backside to stop the cover from sliding around.

Pug loves to ride in the A8, he sits in the footwell behind the passenger seat and then props up on the center footwell hump and puts his chin on the armrests.