A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension

Car suddenly started going down on the front suspension and the back stays normal. As I go the car starts bouncing from the from. Only options I have are automatic and comfort mode. The green light is flashing and the yellow light is lit. The compressor is working. I jacked up the car from the passenger side to view the bag and I heard no leak aswell it started working fine like normal while it was jacked up because I heard it lifting as I pressed the lift mode and the driver side went up too. I jacked up the driver side and it was still doing the same as in failing. Any advice or ideas of what it could be?
Old 09-01-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

If you don't want to shotgun parts, start reading and diagnose correctly, here is how i fixed mine with $200 bag
Cheers,
Louis
Old 09-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
If you don't want to shotgun parts, start reading and diagnose correctly, here is how i fixed mine with $200 bag
Cheers,
Louis
Thank you but now my pump will not even turn on and the relay is good, the fuse on the right side is ok for the air suspension level, it is not on jack mode I know that. I currently have it jacked up and the bags are ok no leak. I have vag com and it says something about sensor for compressor. I have another pump and tried switching it and that wont work because I thought it was the pump.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheers,
Louis
Also the blinking light stopped flashing
Old 09-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cheers,
Louis
update the compressor does run but still wont budge to pull up the front bags
Old 09-02-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, if it's leaking, you are a lot more liable to hear it when its on the ground. Up in the air, it isn't under load and the pressure is lower. Besides, you don't always hear the leak if there is one. Had two struts fail, neither made a sound.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Neiko

Default Suspension troubleshoot

Hi there,
i had a few d3s with suspension issues, 1 you need to find which is the bad side as it might be just one that is shot.
lift up the car on one side, and start the car(be safe and use jack stands. As these cars have level sensors, if one side is bad the other one drops too(left to rigght,not front to back)
if your jacked side is the only bad side,the other one will lift up and it will think that the jacked up side is already pumped up.
If no luck with the first side,try the other side in the same mode.
You might also have a bad compressor, making sound is not necessary meaning it builds enough pressure. The wabcos have a thermal protection so if they run continuously they shut down before overheating.
Rebuild kit is 20$ and well worth it(if needed). I actually have a spare one in my garage from the last rebuild i did a month ago.
If you have 2 bad struts neither side will lift up with the method above, it can also be a block issue or a bad line. Check Louis troubleshooting instructions in the first reply.
There are 200 bads(and cheaper too) if need be and it is not hard at all to switch them(pinch bolt is a bitch if you are in area with winter climate like me).

You can also disconnect the air suple line at the strut and pump the strut with shop compressor(no more than 200 psi is my understanding)This can tell you if your issue is in the strut or no.

Good luck and keep us updated

Svetlin
Old 09-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jose Arriaga Jr.
Car suddenly started going down on the front suspension and the back stays normal. As I go the car starts bouncing from the from. Only options I have are automatic and comfort mode. The green light is flashing and the yellow light is lit. The compressor is working. I jacked up the car from the passenger side to view the bag and I heard no leak aswell it started working fine like normal while it was jacked up because I heard it lifting as I pressed the lift mode and the driver side went up too. I jacked up the driver side and it was still doing the same as in failing. Any advice or ideas of what it could be?
how did you fix that issue because I’m having the same problem
Old 09-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check for any leaks on your struts and check your leveling sensors but what I did was jacked up one side and my green light stopped flashing so that jacked up side was the problem which was my strut it had a small leak. Basically when you jack up a side and it starts working normal its that jacked up side you basically take off the pressure once up in the air.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:02 AM
Neiko

Sometimes you might have slow leak in both sides. I replaced FR strut this summer and a week into it had to replace FL. Good test to do it to put car in Lift and jack mode and let sit overnight. If cant do Lift mode,jacknup one side(suspected bad) and test the other and next day jack the other side.Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension