A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full hydraulic fluid change amount

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full hydraulic fluid change amount

How many liters would it take to replace my Hydraulic fluid? I only have one liter and I'm not sure if that's enough. 2004 A8 L quattro
Old 06-24-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I assume this is power steering. I used the dilution method.
Vacuum the reservoir and refill with fresh fluid. Drive a day and do again. After three drain and fill cycles it looks like new fluid. Smells like fresh fluid also. Changed to Febi brand fluid. Way cheaper than the Pentosin used previously.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And how much did you use total?
Old 06-24-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

A liter will do twice. You will need more to flush three times.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
A liter will do twice. You will need more to flush three times.
+1. I did the same, although my fluid was in very poor shape and smelt very burnt so I did a flush with plain old PS fluid first. A liter of that and a $5 fluid pump from autozone, followed by a liter of the specced (pricey) Pentosin stuff.

Did it a year ago now, all good.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Ah, I have a lot of Pentosin left over from doing a suspension fluid flush when I had the Merc, maybe I should do the same for the Audi's power steering, since I have it anyway. I use a turkey baster for it.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by Jack88
Ah, I have a lot of Pentosin left over from doing a suspension fluid flush when I had the Merc, maybe I should do the same for the Audi's power steering, since I have it anyway. I use a turkey baster for it.
it’s probably never been done (mine never was as far as I could tell) so it will be in a right state. Mine was jet black and very burnt smelling so in desperate need!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave

it’s probably never been done (mine never was as far as I could tell) so it will be in a right state. Mine was jet black and very burnt smelling so in desperate need!
Remember, this was Mishar's old car. Pretty sure he did it. I know he changed out the diff fluid.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Originally Posted by Jack88
Remember, this was Mishar's old car. Pretty sure he did it. I know he changed out the diff fluid.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You know what they say about assumptions.
It’s easy to tell if it was changed or not.....you just have to look.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave

+1. I did the same, although my fluid was in very poor shape and smelt very burnt so I did a flush with plain old PS fluid first. A liter of that and a $5 fluid pump from autozone, followed by a liter of the specced (pricey) Pentosin stuff.

Did it a year ago now, all good.
Plain old PS fluid can be the kiss of death to many of the steering system internals. I remember my '84 5000, previous owner had used plain old PS fluid killed the seals in the pump and rack, had a bad effect on the hydraulic lines as well. I learned a lot about Audi's from that experience. Changing out pumps, snapping banjo bolts, and replacing the lines and rack. Things might not be so severe using it as sort of a flush as you made mention of, personally though I'd never let a drop of plain old PS fluid enter my reservoir. $15 or so dollars is not worth the savings considering the unintended possible costs.

Quick Reply: Full hydraulic fluid change amount