A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass BT - I'm finally going to replace my rear window

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass BT - I'm finally going to replace my rear window

With the change in seasons, the crack in my rear window has finally sprung upward and has gotten much larger in the past week. I guess I can't put it off any longer and need to get this taken care of.

Since I have the dual-pane windows, I'm wondering if this is something I can have replaced by a standard auto glass repair shop, or do I need to take my car to the dealer to have this replaced? Thank goodness my deductible is fairly low, I can only imagine how much that big window is going to cost...

The good news... last week I spent an entire evening hand washing my car, getting every nook and cranny and I was so happy that after two years of driving I only have one tiny, miniscule paint chip next to my headlight, and not one door ding! Yeah =)
Old 05-22-2006, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just replace the pane that's cracked! :-)

Me too - 2 years, no dings yet. :-)
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You might want to start with the dealer in getting a quote

and then talk to a "reputable" glass shop and see what they say. Good thing that the rear glass doesnt need wipers!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

=P
Old 05-22-2006, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This was what I was thinking too...

I guess when my A/C parts come in I can ask them for a quote on my window.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:42 PM

Default This works even better. . . . these are dual pane windows. . . just

put the cracked pane on the outside.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which A/C parts g?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: This works even better. . .

I am in pane - great minds think alike :-)
Old 05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

<groan> I'm in a different kind of pain...
Old 05-23-2006, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They are replacing the stinky ones =)

Took my car in and my new service advisor was awesome. I explained to him that I've brought my car in with this same complaint four or five times and I'm still dealing with the problem. I then explained that when I run the a/c my car doesn't drip any water from the condenser, EVER. Also, I had recently noticed that when making a sharp right turn or stopping short I could trigger the smell! To me, this tells me that there's water trapped somewhere in the system that's causing the smell.

So, after explaining all of this to my S/A he went to bat with AOA for me and convinced them to replace my evaporator system. He tried to explain to me (however, you have to understand that my automobile knowledge is miniscule - I'll do my best to paraphrase his comments). They checked all the drains and didn't find anything plugged up, so he said the problem is obviously inside the evaporator housing where they cannot see what's going on. He said it's possible that there's some foreign object (possibly a parts ID sticker) that could be floating around in the evap housing and settles over the drain and traps water inside of it.

They are replacing the Evaporator, housing, three gaskets, and two seals. He said the parts have to come from Germany, not sure when they will arrive, then installation will take approx. 3 days.

The really good news is that my new SA is wonderful! He really listened to everything I had to say, took good notes, made sure I had a nice loaner, and even checked to see what maintenance items were due on my car - ended up I was due for the brake flush, so I had that taken care of at the same visit. He'll really earn his halo if the evaporator fix takes care of my smelly air problem =)

Quick Reply: Glass BT - I'm finally going to replace my rear window