A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glovebox vibration driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glovebox vibration driving me crazy

When driving I am getting this vibration coming from around the glove compartment, its driving me up the wall.

I read somewhere else someone had this too on a brand new A8. I cant find the thread, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas of what the problem is.

Did something go loose? Do I need to lube something? Any suggestions on what I might try to eliminate it?

Right now, if I fold a piece of paper into the seam it stops.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone? Cant just be me.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, I have the same problem when driving on the freeway but i just learned to look the other way, it doesn't happen every day, I took it to the dealer and they put some kind of soft tape but it didn't work I wonder if there is some type of plastic lubricant, while moving if i push it in a bit it will stop but as soon as I let go it starts again.
My car is an 2009 L so I guess it's the same glove box shape as yours.
Sorry that i can not be of any help but i feel your pain.
Cheers
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys may try adding a bit to those little rubber bumpers. That would make latch holding the lid tighter. Tin plastic and the drop of silicon should do the trick.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 AM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Going to start this weekend by stripping the area around the glove box and tightening every bolt and screw I see down and see if taht solves it.

I will try a bit of oil as well.

If that doesnt work, I will have to add some rubber as mentioned above. I want to avoid tightening the space since it will just get loose again over time.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM
idf
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idf
Going to start this weekend by stripping the area around the glove box and tightening every bolt and screw I see down and see if taht solves it.

I will try a bit of oil as well.

If that doesnt work, I will have to add some rubber as mentioned above. I want to avoid tightening the space since it will just get loose again over time.

So I pulled the glove box:
  • 2 bolts after you remove the right panel that holds the fuses
    • 1 bolt under the globe box right next to the center panel
    • 2 bolts in the glove box at the back, pop off the plastic pieces

Its a pretty large hunk once you get it out. I inspected it, tightened a few bolts sticking out, nothing seemed the problem. I noticed a piece of duct tape on the right side of the glove box which seemed odd, couldnt picture some German in the factory using duct tape. This thing has been opened before.

My guess is the car was in before I bought it and some tape was added to a spot to stop the very same vibration I am experiencing. I bought the car when it was barely 2 years old so it must have happened from the beginning.

So I inspected that spot and the tape looked to be there to stop this piston looking structure from vibrating. The piston is on the right side. If you open and close the door of the glovebox, you'll see the piece that moves. The tape was dry and old, so the area was moving around. I put a twist tie in the gap where it was moving and some better quality tape to pin down the wire which seems to remove the movement.

I'm pretty sure this is the reason these glove boxes vibrate, it looks like a standard part that just wasnt though thru too well and explains why many people have this.

I'll drive the car in the next few days and see if it happens again.

Last edited by idf; 05-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Old 05-12-2012, 04:31 PM
    AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nice job...

Keep us posted please. any pictures?

K9

Originally Posted by idf
    So I pulled the glove box:
    • 2 bolts after you remove the right panel that holds the fuses
      • 1 bolt under the globe box right next to the center panel
      • 2 bolts in the glove box at the back, pop off the plastic pieces

Its a pretty large hunk once you get it out. I inspected it, tightened a few bolts sticking out, nothing seemed the problem. I noticed a piece of duct tape on the right side of the glove box which seemed odd, couldnt picture some German in the factory using duct tape. This thing has been opened before.

My guess is the car was in before I bought it and some tape was added to a spot to stop the very same vibration I am experiencing. I bought the car when it was barely 2 years old so it must have happened from the beginning.

So I inspected that spot and the tape looked to be there to stop this piston looking structure from vibrating. If you open and close the door of the glovebox, you'll see the piece that moves. The tape was dry and old, so the area was moving around. I put a twist tie in the gap where it was moving and some better quality tape to pin down the wire which seems to remove the movement.

I'm pretty sure this is the reason these glove boxes vibrate, it looks like a standard part that just wasnt though thru too well and explains why many people have this.

I'll drive the car in the next few days and see if it happens again.
      Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 PM
      AudiWorld Member

Duct tape is an Audi favorite on the A8. This is a factory thing...
      Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 AM
      AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bangerla
      Duct tape is an Audi favorite on the A8. This is a factory thing...
      Fine German duct tape. All kidding aside, I had an '80 VW Scirocco S (two of them, as a matter of fact) made my Karmann and they had there share of tape (back then we called it *carpet* tape.
      Old 05-13-2012, 04:30 AM
      idf
      Audiworld Junior Member

If thats the case, then the vibration was a known issue... this was the solution? Come on.

Quick Reply: Glovebox vibration driving me crazy