A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green "dynamic mode" suspension light function

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green "dynamic mode" suspension light function

Hi!
From some older threads, I gather that in the earlier D3s (04, 05 maybe) the green suspension light stayed on while the suspension was in dynamic mode. From 06 onwards (and possibly after updating the MMI) the green light only comes on briefly when selecting dynamic mode or when switching on the ignition in dynamic mode.
Is it possible to have this reversed, i.e. have the light on all the time while in dynamic mode (or for that matter when the suspension is lowered to highway mode when automatic is selected)?
I have a VAG COM, so can change it myself if there were some setting to achieve this.
I just would be happier knowing exactly when the suspension is in "low" mode without having to change the MMI screen...
Old 10-08-2008, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: Green "dynamic mode" suspension light function

Do the up/down arrows on the MMI screen show "down" after you've set the suspension in dynamic mode? Maybe the suspension is not really being lowered for some reason? Does the owner's manual for your model year say that the indicator only comes on briefly?

SAE color codes for instrument panel indicators (non-background & non-pointer lighting):

Red-critical warning stop & shut off engine or pay big $$/€/£

Yellow- non-critical warning. OK to drive but something should be corrected when practical. Some feature of the vehicle may not function correctly. Examples: Windshield washer fluid tank empty, differential may not be locked when desired, brake pads past wear limit.

Flashing Yellow-Although non-critical, degraded vehicle performance can be expected. Example: check engine light flashing-one cylinder may not be firing.

Green-Indicates a feature is on or set a particular way. Examples: fog lights on, cruise control on or set, suspension setting etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the arrows show down.
Yes, the manual specifies that the light only comes on briefly.
From the manual:
The indicator lamp in the instrument cluster will light up for *a few seconds* to warn the driver that ground clearance is reduced.
When your vehicle has been parked in the dynamic setting, the indicator lamp will come back on for *a few seconds* when you switch the ignition on again.

I would like to change "for a few seconds" to "continuously" and gather that this is the way it used to function before MY06 (I have MY06).
So, I am hoping some adaptation could revert back to MY04 - MY05 functioning.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I've always wondered why "they" decided in later models to "leave" the green light off..

I'm with you, I use the "green light on" as my indicator to watch myself when pulling into parking spaces and not to get "too" close for fear of the "you know what" occurence of ripping ones bumper cover off and looking like a complete idiot and costing mucho dinero!

I would hate to have to refer to MMI to reassure myself the suspension is set where I thinks it's set.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my late 05 the dash green arrow, or white arrows on the MMI screen come on while the suspension is inflating or deflating. Once it's in position, the arrow turns off. (Green arrow is for down only). It doesn't matter what position it's going to. For example, if going from lift to, comfort, automatic or dynamic, the down arrows will come on.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My late 05 Does the same thing, only on briefly when lowering then shuts off
Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How does the Yellow lowering image function?

Interesting read on the green dynamic mode light; but since i have a sport I've never seen it light up besides on the initial turn on. I suspect this is due to the Sport NOT lowering in the dynamic mode.

However, I was wondering about the yellow icon with the downward arrow, which next to the green one. Has anyone actually seen this activate and if so, under what conditions does it happen?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yellow lowering image function:

From the manual:
The warning lamp <yellow> lights up when the jacking mode has been activated "Jacking mode". This warning lamp also has the following additional functions:

The warning lamp lights up for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on, and should then go out. This signals that the lamp is working properly.
If the lamp lights up continuously, there is a system fault in the adaptive air suspension. A fault in this system can result in impaired ride comfort and reduced ground clearance. The fault should be corrected by a qualified workshop without delay.
If the warning lamp is flashing, you should not drive away immediately . The flashing warning lamp indicates that the suspension is at the extreme high position. The suspension can be raised to an abnormally high position if, for example, a very heavy weight has been unloaded from the vehicle. The warning lamp will stop flashing when the suspension returns to a normal position, and you can start driving.
If the warning lamp flashes together with the <green> warning lamp , do not start driving immediately as this could damage the underside of the vehicle. The two warning lamps flashing together indicate that the suspension is at the extreme low position. An abnormally low position can possibly result if a very heavy weight is being carried in the vehicle. The warning lamps will stop flashing when the suspension returns to a normal position, and you can start driving.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sorry, I see the change was from MY05...

https://forums.audiworld.com/a8d3/msgs/9095.phtml
Quote:
Another thing I noticed Audi changed between my '04 and '05 A8L is the green status suspension indicator light. In the '04 models the green light was on constant whenever you were in Dynmaic mode or the car was lowered at high speeds in automatic mode. In the '05 it is never on in automatic mode even if the care is lowered and it comes on for only a few seconds when you switch to dynamic mode or start the car while in dynamic mode and then goes out.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default The dreaded yellow suspension light

I've seen mine lit when I put the car in jack mode to change the oil, swap wheels &amp; tires and of course, the one time I had a failure as outlined in the linked thread. When you have five minutes, read all of the posts in there.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8d3/msgs/37072.phtml">Air suspension $1500.00 problem</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Green "dynamic mode" suspension light function