A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green Suspension Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:10 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Compressor won't run with the ignition off unless the relay is stuck.
... or in test mode with VCDS.

It also usually won't run until you hit 25mph, unless you are raising it, or the accumulator is empty. My compressor will usually cycle 2x when starting out, if it's been sitting for awhile. The 2nd time is usually just for a couple of seconds. It will also cycle when getting off of a highway, once I've slowed down on the exit ramp and it's lifting the 5mm to normal dynamic height.
My green light only comes on for a brief period after starting when the suspension is in dynamic, as a reminder it's low. I think I'm at ver 3.360. It will come on anytime it's 65mm below "normal" level, per Audi air suspension study manual.
A simple test for checking sags is after putting it in jack mode, so that it won't try to adjust heights, then tautly put masking tape from each wheel to fender. If you get slack in the tape, that corner has sagged.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this all is confusing me a bit, just going to schedule an appointment with dealership. When my car sits overnight or long periods of time it noticeably lowers in the front end. As I get close to my car and in range of the key, it raises itself to normal height. I use Automatic. As I start my car, the amber and green lights flash and will remain flashing until the car is fully at normal height, then they stop flashing and I drive away (per manual). Everyone is saying this is not normal operation, correct??
Old 12-02-2015, 09:08 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct, this is not normal. You most likely have a leak in the front strut(s). The dealership will want to replace with new ($$$$). Rebuilt units (air portion of strut) are available through Arnott or Rebuild Master Tech.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 audi a8 air suspension issue

Ok so I come out to my car and the front end is sitting super low and the rear high. I've never switched any modes in my car. I have a yellow and green car symbol that is lit up sometimes the green blinks while the yellow stays lit and sometimes neither are blinking. I cant get to the suspension screen on the mmi. Please help! How can I fix this
Old 07-03-2023, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

If I had to guess, one of your front strut air bags died, i.e. has a leak. You have to troubleshoot, but the first thing is to scan with VCDS, if the compressor turned off due to over temperature, sometimes it won't start up again until the fault is cleared. Don't drive the car until this is fixed as you can have other issues such as the compressor burning out, ripping CV boots due to them being over extended, cutting holes in the wheel liners with your tires, etc.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

+1, classic symptoms of a leak in one of the front struts. When that happened to me I had the car towed because I could not drive it. Replaced both front struts with Arnotts, and all was well again.
Old 07-03-2023, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

The comments about not being able to drive it with a collapsed front strut are curious. When one of mine went, it blew and would not hold any air whatsoever. Completely collapsed, I could still drive the car without any rubbing or subsequent damage. Ok I didn’t drive it far, maybe 5 miles to the shop at around 20 mph, but did it without consequence. No rubbing, no grounding out, no torn CV boots etc.

I have standard factory wheels and tires, (18” fat fives) but do have 12mm spacers on the front (20mm back), being the only non standard item.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
The comments about not being able to drive it with a collapsed front strut are curious. When one of mine went, it blew and would not hold any air whatsoever. Completely collapsed, I could still drive the car without any rubbing or subsequent damage. Ok I didn’t drive it far, maybe 5 miles to the shop at around 20 mph, but did it without consequence. No rubbing, no grounding out, no torn CV boots etc.

I have standard factory wheels and tires, (18” fat fives) but do have 12mm spacers on the front (20mm back), being the only non standard item.
Dave-

After getting my 08, then installing the new parts, I bet the people who owned the car drove it for some time with the issues, I'm going to say 100 miles plus. That is why I cited those things. Both inner wheel well liners have holes on the front of them due to the tire rubbing (probably didn't help that they did not have the belly pan installed, but at least I have it), the right side inner CV boot was torn and grease everywhere and unfortunately the left side had a very small tear, but grease was being let out. I can't help but think that came from driving it with the front end down for extended periods. The compressor is 95% dead (bought a replacement one) and the control arms were shot, but I'm sure driving with the suspension down put them over the edge.

I'm in Forest Park now (I see you are from Chicago, I don't think we have met previously) but going back to FL in a week and will tackle the oil cooler, install the new compressor and a bunch of cooling work because it will be in the service position. I hate that I always want to catch up on maintenance. I have to do the rear brakes and bleed the fluid and new tires and alignment will be last. Hopefully. Then tint the windows......