A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a new 4.0TDI for a couple of days, some slight MMI/DIS changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a new 4.0TDI for a couple of days, some slight MMI/DIS changes

A couple of things I noticed that appear to be new on recent models (this was a couple of months old at most):

The DIS shows the current gear when in D or S modes, the PRNDS display is shifted left to make room for the gear number on the right.

The range indicator has a little fuel pump icon on it.

The two trip computers are now on separate 'screens' in the DIS and the display swapping with the reset button now goes Nav -> Trip1 -> Trip2. Page flipping with the up and down buttons on the end of the wiper stalk only goes round the current trip computer.

The CD player now announces 'CD being loaded' when swapping CDs, this being replicated in DIS.

The radio function now has a last 5 station list at the top of the station listing.

The CD -> sound -> setup -> setup display bug (screen not refreshed to reflect button state) is fixed.

The CD Text not appearing in DIS until MMI CD screen displayed bug is fixed.

The navigation map automatic orientation not working in current location map with intersection zoom enabled bug is fixed.

The 1st/3rd turning voice prompt mixup on roundabouts is fixed.

The good news is that some of the issues I had with MMI got me a new nav DVD and MMI update under warranty. I was hoping that I'd get the new DIS functionality as well, but sadly not. I do have all the MMI fixes though, but I still have the SIM card entries with Nokia hidden characters missing in the phone dispay in MMI, and there's a small display bug introduced in the CD screen where the sound -> setup bug was fixed.

Oh well, slightly nearer to perfect is better than nothing. ;-)
Old 09-08-2005, 07:11 AM

That is all great news but....HOW DOES THE 4.0TDI feel?????
Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I'd probably have one over the 4.2 petrol engine, as I love torqey engines

It's obviously a diesel on startup, but soon settles down to a fair V8 rumble with that slight diesel jackhammer undertone once it warms up a bit. It is flat for a fraction of a second on standing starts, but once the turbos spool up, if you keep the accelerator pushed, it just keeps going and going.

It has great in-gear acceleration, and I prefer keeping it in Tip mode to let it use it's torque - it's redline is low enough that it's smoother to just let it pull in the gear it's in, rather than letting the box kick down and try to rev it up.

It's also great on fuel economy on steady speed cruses.

I can't wait to see what the new 4.2 TDI will be like.

However, I did miss the extreme linearity and smooth, flat torque curve of the W12, and the extra couple of hundred horses make for much faster progress on single-carriage roads. I really missed the W12's overtaking prowess, a lot.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save the torqey engines for Thanksgiving!!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Indeed, the 4.2 TDI is amazing

I had the opportunity to drive an A8 4.2 TDI quattro pre-series vehicle for a hundred miles (the car was out of the factory in April but it had the '06 nose as well as straight exhaust tips as opposed to curved ones usually seen on diesels).

I haven't had the chance to hear the 4.0TDI in action but I suppose the 4.2TDI to be even more petrol-like when it comes to the engine sounds. It only sounds like a diesel when listened on the outside of the car on startup on a hard surface (that makes the engine sounds echo from the under of the car).

While accelerating it sounds like a proper V8, although not so loud (natural for a car like A8). Overtaking is like a walk in the park even on the narrow and winding two-lane highways here in Finland. It easily averages 31 mpg (US)/ 37 mpg (UK) on the highway and 0-100km/h acceleration has been in the tests of german car magazines even better than with the 4.2 petrol V8, although the diesel has a 100kg (220lbs) more weight on it.

Long distance driving was remarkably easy with adaptive cruise control and that much torque. BTW, a finnish magazine drove 820 miles with a single tank of diesel in the A8 4.0TDI (and Jeremy Clarkson in Top Gear managed to drive from London to Edinburgh and back, equals 800 miles) while the 4.2TDI is even more economical according to Audi. All in all, I'd definitively take the 4.2tdi over the petrol.