A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody had to battle an insurance company....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anybody had to battle an insurance company....

to have repairs done by an Audi certified body shop ?

In a nutshell, I was hit by a guy running a red light, thankfully injuries were nil and damage fairly light. The front passenger fender needs replacing, a 19" turbine wheel needs either replacing or refinishing and the ACC got knocked out of alignment.

The other driver admitted liability so I'm going through his insurance co. They're trying to steer me to a regular body shop by refusing to pay the additional hourly rate charged by the certified bodyshop. They're also contesting realignment of the ACC radar saying they'll only pay if the car needs a rear wheel thrust alignment.

GRRRRRRRRR

Oh and my auto trunk is playing silly sods, but thats a separate thread.....
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was rear ended a few weeks ago. I went thru my insurance company who will recover from the other guy's company. They approved the Audi-recommended body shop immediately. However, their appraiser's estimate was less than half what the body shop's was. It's in the shop now and I already told the insurance company that I will accept nothing less than a perfect repair. They said it will be. Time will tell. They also assured me I will have no out of pocket costs. In the meantime, I'm driving a Kia rental!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hit a deer at around 35 mph. Pushed the right front bumper in about 1 cm, dented the hood and cracked the grill. Took it to the certified Audi dealer and they handled everything with insurance company - State Farm. Simple with no issues. Replaced hood and grill with new Audi OEM parts and realigned front bumper. Cost for repairs $2,500.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info guys,

i heard a rumor that having a non certified shop work on the body would invalidate the lifetime anti corrosion warranty. Does that sound right ?

cheers
Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In my opinion, any shop that works on the car needs to know how to repair an aluminum body car. Most cars are not made out of aluminum and shops are not familiar with the repair. All correct fasteners, repair parts and training play an important part in repair service life on aluminum body repairs. You will typically have the best results taking your vehicle to an authorized Audi aluminum repair facility.

The limited warranty is 12 years in the U.S. - no mileage restriction:

"This warranty does not cover corrosion perforation due to failure to perform repairs in accordance with Audi's specified repair proceedures, including use of non-aluminum alloy parts."

"Should your Audi A8 suffer collision damage and you choose to have your vehicle repaired by one of Audi's authorized aluminum body repair facilities, and your Audi A8 is still within the 4 years / 50,000 mile period of the warranty, Audi will transport your Audi A8 from your selling/servicing dealer, at Audi's expense.......and return it at Audi's expense.....

Sounds pretty important to me - straight from the warranty book. Hope that helps.