A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I would not do that either !!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean no disrespect, But no sealer should ever be used in an Audi, this is of course straight from Audi, and being you had some luck with what you did use, I would not push it further, Bars leak is the worst stuff you could use, that crap clogs everything.

Yeah Bars Leak worked for our old crap cars just to get us by for the time being, but no long term fix.

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 07-18-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
I mean no disrespect, But no sealer should ever be used in an Audi, this is of course straight from Audi, and being you had some luck with what you did use, I would not push it further, Barrs leak is the worst stuff you could use, that crap clogs everything.

Yeah Barrs Leak worked for our old crap cars just to get us by for the time being, but no long term fix.
Another vote for not using Bars Leak. I recall it was designed for cast iron blocks, pumps & heads. Just using old faithful green coolant was a costly error on a VW & Audi engine in the early '80's and they had cast iron blocks. But they also have aluminum heads & water pump housings.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"What I have found with sealants is if they seal the leak they can also cause restrictions of flow in other areas of the cooling system, such as the radiator."

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view...-hg-1/comments

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view...-1186/comments
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holding off on anything for awhile till I see if head gasket holds.
Found lots of info on these new products. Surprised it worked.
I thought water pump seal was on outside of pump bearing?
Anyone have more knowledge of water pump design?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by parkrog2
Holding off on anything for awhile till I see if head gasket holds.
Found lots of info on these new products. Surprised it worked.
I thought water pump seal was on outside of pump bearing?
Anyone have more knowledge of water pump design?
I am also surprised that it worked, but let's be optimistic.

Seal is on the inside of bearing, or between water and bearing. Little dripping hole is in between. Bearing is also sealed by itself, but that seal is not really strong. If you get any pressure there coolant will get into the bearing and it wont stand that for a long.

Name:  WaterPump_zps98923bb5.jpg
Views: 3689
Size:  17.0 KB
Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
I am also surprised that it worked, but let's be optimistic.

Seal is on the inside of bearing, or between water and bearing. Little dripping hole is in between. Bearing is also sealed by itself, but that seal is not really strong. If you get any pressure there coolant will get into the bearing and it wont stand that for a long.

Will watch it and schedule replacement. Might try it myself.
Thank you.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It is actually same as timing belt job. Just be sure to do your homework before you decide to do it. Far from not doable, but not really simple either. You need a timing belt tool too.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update at about 1200+ miles!!! The head gasket seal is doing great. No #2 cylinder misfire at starting has not come back!!! Having hot weather here in mountains, 80 to 90+ degrees every day with no cooling problems at all. The $18 head gasket sealer is a miracle!!!
Against others advise I added BARS stop leak to cooling system. IMMEDIATE RESULT is water pump leak stopped completely.(after just 10 miles of driving) It worked so well it's unbelievable! Been over 2 weeks and I have not seen a drop on garage floor, I check every day!!(I have left engine cover off).
I have used BARS with other cars with plastic radiator tanks. Worked on other Audi's and VW's All I can say is water pump seal is better, only time will tell. I was going to drain cooling system to replace with new coolant but now I am thinking of leaving it a while longer.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Rog,
Congrats, I'm glad you got it done, fixed it, but I still have questions about these leak sealer - how does it do it? Can someone explain it to me? I can't imagine this "stuff" flows with the coolant and find the leaks, fills it up (just the leak cracks?), cures itself and seal the leaks. This is amazing to me. How does it know which flow is a leak and which is a valve?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Probably reacts with oxygen

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Failure