A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Range Control Defective warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Range Control Defective warning

Havent been on here in over a year but I still own the same 2005 Audi A8L 4.2l. Been a very reliable car but new issue came up today. Both to work this morning and from work my car chimes at me with the message Headlight Range Control Defective. And it kept going away on its own and then chiming again. It would stay off and on for random intervals but continued to go back and forth. Very annoying and couldn’t find anything in this forum for how to fix on our A8s just a bunch of A4s. Is the air suspension leveling sensor also the headlight range sensor? However I’m not having any issues with my air suspension so if that’s the case is it possible to stop working for one and be fine with the other?
I appreciate any help up front. I’ve never ponies up for the VCDS system and definitely won’t be now as I intend to sell my car this coming summer but I’m trying to get it in tip top shape. Again thank you in advance! -Drew
Old 09-20-2022, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello mate.
Have you fixed headlight range sensor problem?
I've been going through the same issue.
Would be glad to hear from you.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amiko Tsanava
Hello mate.
Have you fixed headlight range sensor problem?
I've been going through the same issue.
Would be glad to hear from you.
I thankfully sold the car a last summer now lol but I just got an email that someone responded to my thread. After further research I realized that the only way to fix it was to replace the whole headlight assembly because the board that controls the leveling is inside of the light. With the risk of buying one with the same issue, and the fact you have to remove the front bumper to change out the assembly’s I ultimately decided it was something I would just live with. By the end it would pop up on the dash as soon as I got in the car and stay on. Supposedly you can change just the board but that requires opening up the light. Sorry I didn’t have any good news. Good luck. -Drew
Old 09-24-2022, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same thing with my right headlight for a long while. Last spring I got a vertical 2010 grille for my W12 and when I had the bumper off to change the grille I removed the head light and fixed the problem. And the problem on them is that the insulation has fallen off many of the wires. With a soldering iron, liquid tape, and a lot of patience and time you can fix the wires.

At the same time I examined the left light and all looked good inside, so I put the car back together. Unfortunately the left light started tripping the dash light and chime about a month later ! I am still living with it.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you guys.
Thise were some good tips.

Wondering, which wires exactly could be damaged that causes fault related to headlight range regulator?
I have no clue, after taking off the headlight and fixing it back on though.