A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Fog Light Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default HID Fog Light Alternative

Hey guys,
After retrofitting LED's just about everywhere I can in the A8 I still have my stock yellowish fogs. Was contemplating going the route of a slim HID ballast with the error cancelling kit from DDM tuning for the HID route.

Then... I scanned audi forums and everything showing that they do in fact work in both the 35w and 55w variants, it is just quite a bit more detailed to cut and install the HIDs into the fog light housing.

Then I saw these 4000k plug and play swap bulbs that just simply replace the factory bulb. They also run on the factory wattages. I was skeptical at first but after seeing pictures and reviews they seem really nice. They are right around the exact same price as the HID's though just much less effort involved. For my 05 A8 I am pretty sure it requires the H11 bulb where 06+ uses an H7

Here are the xenonmatch bulbs
http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

If the ad is true, it's a no brainer to install these Hoen bulbs.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default I've used these for years...

Discussed on forum off and on over the years. They are a pretty close color match to the HID's. Yes, just install and done. I have used them for five years with zero issues or bulb burn outs (though I am not a believer in driving around w/ fog lights incessantly--they get used in rain and actual fog). Good light output.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-14-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The Hoen site also shows their ENDURANCE line of yellow foglamps. When I changed fogs I went with yellow bulbs; the whiter the light the more it scatters due to rain/fog/snow and reflects back into the drivers eyes. And my main criteria for fogs is their functionality. I'm guessing that's also why the ALMS cars and the like use yellow.

I did not use the Hoen bulbs however. I used yellow H9 headlight bulbs for a large increase in output...with a small modification to the base H9s fit my 04 fog light sockets. Have not had any problems.

Last edited by awdinut; 04-15-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a slim ballast kit on my 05 and have absolutely no error codes. Problem is that they will turn off by themselves. I end up just playing with them (turning them on and off) until they warm up and stay on without any problems. Takes about 3 times. Kind of annoying but I get over it really, something to keep me occupied while I let the car warm up slightly. I fitted mine with the 3000k kit, giving it a nice yellowish look which I think looks great IMO, highly recommend it.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What is the easiest way to get into there to replace them? Tilt the wheel sideways and gain access through the wheel well, or take off the bottom plastic protection just like you were changing the oil and get in there that way? Never opened it up.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
What is the easiest way to get into there to replace them? Tilt the wheel sideways and gain access through the wheel well, or take off the bottom plastic protection just like you were changing the oil and get in there that way? Never opened it up.
I've got updated bumper but I think changing fogs is about the same. You need to remove the trim in front of the fog light (make sure you open the clips that hold the trim place with a screwdriver or else you might damage the bumper) and then you'll see screws holding fog light in place. There should be about 4 screws but 3 of them actually hold the fog light in place if I remember correctly. After removing the screws you have to turn the fog light a bit to get it out (you'll see why and how) and then just open the fog light casing (which is the hardest part IMO. Opening is easier than closing it up tho).
There should be some topics around that have pictures and more detailed description but it isn't very hard to do.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found the DIY link here, not exactly the same but gives the general idea. Couldn't find a better one atm:
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-...og-lights.html

some fog light trim latches are in bit different places, but number 3 should be at the shown place.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Yes, it is done...

by removing the fog light surround trim, then the fog light. Easy. As mentioned in the above posts, just have to master the retaining plastic tabs. \

Unfortunately as I've learned on my C5, the occasional cheap a** low life older Audi "owners" (or ebay "resellers"??)) have mastered the method too. Had to wire tie my replacement set in to slow them down.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah as posted in the DIY and posts above its a really easy job. If you're looking for a spot to leave the ballast, I used heavy duty double sided tape and just stuck them onto the plastic fog light cover you originally pull off. Would highly recommend the slim ballast kit though.

Quick Reply: HID Fog Light Alternative