A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher revs and slight power loss

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Higher revs and slight power loss

07 A8L with 96,000 miles. Right after getting my synthetic oil change and having my maf sensor cleaned from my indy mechanic, I'm experiencing higher revs than before with throttle input. No CEL light though. Two different brands of gas same thing. What could this be? Does something need to be reset?
Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it might take a little time for the computer to relearn with the different input quality you are getting after having cleaned the MAF, assuming it was very dirty. I wouldn't worry unless it persists.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I think it might take a little time for the computer to relearn with the different input quality you are getting after having cleaned the MAF, assuming it was very dirty. I wouldn't worry unless it persists.
Thanks. How long should it take for the computer to relearn? It has been about 5 days and 200 miles.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've always heard 500 miles for adaption, but I can't really say with the A8. A VCDS scan couldn't hurt, see if any codes are being thrown. CEL doesn't always come on for every code. What do you mean higher revs than before with throttle input? It revs more before shifting, touchier throttle, higher idle..?
Old 11-15-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you mean higher revs than before with throttle input? It revs more before shifting, touchier throttle, higher idle..?
That would be my question too. Also what abut "slight power loss" from the title?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've always heard 500 miles for adaption, but I can't really say with the A8. A VCDS scan couldn't hurt, see if any codes are being thrown. CEL doesn't always come on for every code. What do you mean higher revs than before with throttle input? It revs more before shifting, touchier throttle, higher idle..?
An example, it seems like it revs to about 3000 before shifting where before it would rev to 2500 before shifting with the same throttle input. Something seems off . Even when crusing, the tach seems higher than it was before. I guess it's not really a power loss. Just seems to take more revs and throttle input to get the same amount of power as before.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

I wonder if the MAF is going bad. With VCDS you can try monitoring it. Need to do a test drive while recording data on a laptop during a couple of acceleration runs.

Otherwise, you could try a throttle adaptation (in VCDS somewhere as I recall, used to do it on my C5 4.2) and/or a tranny adaptation. But since part in common seems to be MAF I would wonder if it is working (reading) correctly. A failing MAF can feel like power loss and less responsiveness in general. It is tightly coupled with both ECU and TCU as well, so can make shifting feel rougher or not quite right.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there any chance that in cleaning it he damaged it? Using the wrong solvents can cause issues.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all of the input. Talked to the Indy shop and will bring it back tomorrow. Will report back.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie111
An example, it seems like it revs to about 3000 before shifting where before it would rev to 2500 before shifting with the same throttle input. Something seems off . Even when crusing, the tach seems higher than it was before. I guess it's not really a power loss. Just seems to take more revs and throttle input to get the same amount of power as before.
They say that A8 learns and adjust to the drivers stile. I don't know how exactly that works, but I think it varies pedal/throttle rate. So if one mostly accelerates slowly it would open less throttle with more pedal in the beginning and than open it faster to the full throttle. That makes smooth acceleration better controlled. Frequent fast accelerations would make faster throttle response at the beginning creating even better feeling. That said, by cleaning MAF you changed input data a bit so she acts a bit different. Or the clue is in that "it seams". I would just drive a bit longer. That would give both of you more time to learn each other.

Quick Reply: Higher revs and slight power loss