A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to demount front door covers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to demount front door covers?

Can anyone hint me on how to demount my front door covers?

I am not able to run the passenger window from the drivers control, must demount this covers to see if the wires is connected.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I now found the correct word for it

What I mean is how to dismount the door trim on the front doors?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Haven't actually done a D3 but Bentley and other experience say...

lots of prior Audi experience on door trim.

Per Bentley this one is yet again different than a C5 where my most recent Audi experience is, and that was the next generation design after the D2. Basically on the D3 it says you take off the wood trim. Behind it is a screw toward the mirror area apparently. It also says there is a screw near the center of the large door pocket (near the top). After that it is apparently just a bunch of plastic push pin clips and you pull outward. I was surprised there were no screws at the front or back upper edges like they used for years, but those would typically be visible. After that you basically need to deal with wires and cables as you take it off, which usually don't leave a lot of slack. I try to have a big box or something handy of about door sill height to set it on top of and relieve the weight from the things still attached.

A few things to note. From experience with those plastic clips. They WILL break. Perhaps 50% of them. Bentley says there are 8. Buy some at dealer before you start if you actually plan to do this or remove similar body panels in the future. Otherwise you will need to get them mid job, or you may get rattles. They are cheap, like dollar or sub dollar each. Bentley picture looks like they are the same as the ones used for trunk trim, the trim by the doors and carpeting, and up at the center rear trim above the back window, all where I have seen the same part. One small piece like a button with some prongs that go through a hole, whitish plastic. It's a disposible part so you don't end up breaking the door panel itself.

More importantly, unless the door has been taken apart before and you have specific reason to suspect a wiring problem, my advice is you are almost certainly wasting your time on that front. Audi connectors are light years ahead of where they were 20 years ago; they just don't come off unless you really work on them. In fact, many have little tricks on how they unlatch, and if you don't know them they can get broken. I know this from D3 specific work. Given what you say so far, if the window works at the passenger door switch but not from the drivers door console, like 98% chance it is the window switch module on the driver's door. I think that is all one module now, not with separate switches like it was years ago. My C5 vintage 2000 already had that newer single module set up, and I think even my 96 did (which is similar to a D2). Common Audi failure point in the 5-10 year timeframe from experience if you use the window switches a lot. Bentley says you have to take the door trim off to get it out, but figure that is most likely your problem. Up to you to decide how many trips to dealer or # of times you want to open up door. I tend to buy the likely parts ahead of time and minimize labor hassle and risk I will break something else every time I have to disassemble.

By the way, of course if the window doesn't go up or down at the passenger door itself with EITHER the driver's switch OR the switch at the affected door (or the remote if you happened to program window movement w/ VAG COM), it more likely it has to do with the window motor assembly at that door. But, I read your post as the window is working, just not the driver door switch control of it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-08-2009 at 08:57 AM.