A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Replace Headlight Range Control Module? 2004 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Replace Headlight Range Control Module? 2004 Audi A8

Hi I have been struggling with this headlight range control defective code for months now. It will occasionally go off, but it typically stays on. I have a module ready to replace it with but I have no Idea where it is and how you install it. I have seen that it may be located behind the dash gauges but I am not sure.

Can anyone give me a step by step on how to replace this? I haven't seen any useful threads on this that have helped at all. I will try to update later with my VAG COM readings of the code. It instantly comes back when I clear the DTC code so something needs to be done unless there is a way to disable it in the VAG COM?.

Please Help,
Thanks
Old 08-22-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ayeight
Hi I have been struggling with this headlight range control defective code for months now. It will occasionally go off, but it typically stays on. I have a module ready to replace it with but I have no Idea where it is and how you install it. I have seen that it may be located behind the dash gauges but I am not sure.

Can anyone give me a step by step on how to replace this? I haven't seen any useful threads on this that have helped at all. I will try to update later with my VAG COM readings of the code. It instantly comes back when I clear the DTC code so something needs to be done unless there is a way to disable it in the VAG COM?.

Please Help,
Thanks
When I got the same fault on the instrument panel display, the diagnostic scan told me which headlight module was"defective". The module ( two of them) is part of each headlight assembly.

Just because you get an error listing a defective module; don't assume it is bad. A fuse supplying power could have opened due to a chaffed wire or other problem. A connector could have fallen off or have corroded contacts etc.

Please read the posting/Thread Sticky titled "New Posters to this Forum; PLEASE READ THIS" at the very top of the D3 A8 Thread on AudiWorld.
Link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/

As the sticky above mentions, let us know your location. For all we know, you could be in Bohemia. And, depending if it were the city on Long Island in New York or the region in the Czech Republic, the headlight range control may work completely different.

I only got the error when it was very humid/raining. Turns out I did not properly replace the back cover when I previously replaced a lamp a month earlier. Properly sealing/installing the cover cured the problem in my case.

To replace, remove headlight assembly, open back cover, remove headlight range control assembly. Install new headlight range control assembly, properly connect everything, properly replace covers, replace headlight assembly.
Observe standard automotive safety and repair procedures.

For more detail, I would use the proper service manual. I purchased mine from Robert Bentley Publishers within a week of buying my A8. This was over 9 1/2 years ago. I've got my money's worth out of it. You will too if you do your own maintenance and just some repairs.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 08-22-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like Bally says you need to check on the basics, there is a module behind the cluster, one in each headlight and the level sensors can cause problems too.

Really need to see your VCDS scan,

For the location of the module behind the cluster you may find the following link useful

Retrofit: Radio Controlled Clock - A8 Parts Forum
Old 08-24-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default VCDS Results for xenon range control module

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
When I got the same fault on the instrument panel display, the diagnostic scan told me which headlight module was"defective". The module ( two of them) is part of each headlight assembly.

Just because you get an error listing a defective module; don't assume it is bad. A fuse supplying power could have opened due to a chaffed wire or other problem. A connector could have fallen off or have corroded contacts etc.

Please read the posting/Thread Sticky titled "New Posters to this Forum; PLEASE READ THIS" at the very top of the D3 A8 Thread on AudiWorld.
Link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/

As the sticky above mentions, let us know your location. For all we know, you could be in Bohemia. And, depending if it were the city on Long Island in New York or the region in the Czech Republic, the headlight range control may work completely different.

I only got the error when it was very humid/raining. Turns out I did not properly replace the back cover when I previously replaced a lamp a month earlier. Properly sealing/installing the cover cured the problem in my case.

To replace, remove headlight assembly, open back cover, remove headlight range control assembly. Install new headlight range control assembly, properly connect everything, properly replace covers, replace headlight assembly.
Observe standard automotive safety and repair procedures.

For more detail, I would use the proper service manual. I purchased mine from Robert Bentley Publishers within a week of buying my A8. This was over 9 1/2 years ago. I've got my money's worth out of it. You will too if you do your own maintenance and just some repairs.
Address 55: Xenon Range
1 Fault Found:
01310 - Level Control System Control Module (J197)
013 - Check DTC Memory - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101101
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 239
Mileage: 171400 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.08.19
Time: 13:52:04

I dont have the range control for the headlight I have just the module that controls them ( at least that is what I think) . But i would like to add that it first started when hitting a hard bump. I can also occasionally lightly kick the under panel of the driver side and it will momentarily go off. So I am not sure if it is a wiring issue or what. I am also located in Rocky Mount, VA. I have been trying to consider all the different possibilities it could be. I will be getting a manual soon. I have put it off too long. Thanks for any help
Old 08-24-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Ross-Tech doesn't even list that code. I guess if you have the module put it in and see what happens. Haggis says it's behind the cluster and he is usually correct.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why we need scan data,

J197 is the level control module for the Adaptive air suspension, Now you said if you kick the driver side of the car you can make the fault come and go.

If I were you I would be looking to check the driver side level sensor wiring , wiggle test with car running to see if there is a break in the wiring causing intermittent issues or check the sensor data using VCDS and lift and lower the car to see if the values scale smoothly or jump around.

Can you post up a full scan from the car, I suspect you will have errors in module 34 too.

Originally Posted by ayeight
Address 55: Xenon Range
1 Fault Found:
01310 - Level Control System Control Module (J197)
013 - Check DTC Memory - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101101
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 239
Mileage: 171400 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.08.19
Time: 13:52:04
Old 08-25-2015, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No Faults in address 34

The level sensor light comes on with the the control module fault they come on at the same time always. And I think it could be a wiring issue but I'm not sure where the wires are so that I can check them. And it goes off intermittently when I kicked the under panel inside under the dashboard on the drivers side I am Not sure if I am taking a wire that is making it go off and on. I order the manual today so maybe that will help

Originally Posted by haggisuk
This is why we need scan data,

J197 is the level control module for the Adaptive air suspension, Now you said if you kick the driver side of the car you can make the fault come and go.

If I were you I would be looking to check the driver side level sensor wiring , wiggle test with car running to see if there is a break in the wiring causing intermittent issues or check the sensor data using VCDS and lift and lower the car to see if the values scale smoothly or jump around.

Can you post up a full scan from the car, I suspect you will have errors in module 34 too.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Post a complete scan. Also is this a USA car or ROW?
Old 08-01-2020, 03:27 PM
Smackster72

So where does the module go? I have everything pulled apart now , done headlight bulbs , ballastt , level sensor , tested motors , so all I have left is to replace the headlight module and I have it in hand , can someone please tell me where this goes? !!

Thanks , ZAC