A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Upgrade MMI Software On Audi A8.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Upgrade MMI Software On Audi A8.

I know theres a bunch of threads on mmi software upgrade questions, I ordered the update 3360 and 4140 upgrade cd's from audigenuineparts.com, but was wondering if anyone can tell me a step by step on how to do the update where to put the cd in etc, so i can do it myself?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

anybody?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi upgraded mine from 3360 to 4610 so I have no experience. I recall reading on this forum that you have to remove all discs and put the upgrade disc into slot 1 and select it in the CD menu. It should start up from there and be pretty obvious as to what to choose to start the process.

I don't quite understand why you don't just search for the threads that detail it all out?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L Man
anybody?
I'm of no help here. My '04 was upgraded once at no charge when I took the car in for something in early '06. I believe in leaving well enough alone. Besides, I have my TPMS shut off due to a sensor fault. I like the on/off option which I would lose with a newer version. I have no desire to perform an upgrade that, if done incorrectly or a hiccup occurs, I can ruin an expensive sounding module.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had mine upgraded because they did it for dirt cheap. But I dread the day my TPMS sensor goes off and the darn alert won't go away because I can't disable it.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just search the entire AW site - type in "MMI upgrade CD" and see what comes up. May take a while but the info is there with some digging. And you may learn a lot of new information. The answer is in there...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What do you get in the 4610 MMI upgrade?

Originally Posted by ModestW12
Audi upgraded mine from 3360 to 4610...
Does anyone know the specifics on improvements in the 4610 upgrade or was it just to satisfy specific technical issues? If there were fixes for specific issues, does anyone know what they are?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe 4610 is the SW version where you get the 3 line artist/album/title information for the selected/playing track in the MMI. I've read a post stating that the B&O crossover points for low frequencies changed though the post didn't mention Bose or cite any sources. I think there are supposed to be some more improvments/bug fixes as well. Do a forum search.

It's been brought up that 4610 may be the reason why in some of our D3's the vent to the left of the MMI screen no longer blows heat while the other 3 front vents still do (to be more specific, loss of control of the flaps/valves that route heated air to the left MMI vent be the issue).
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thoughs on this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-MMI-HIGH-...item230c84b14c
?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I'm of the mindset that you leave well enough alone. Now, if you've added something the the AMI and an update is needed, then you perform the update or pay a dealer to perform it. That's MHO only. Others believe that you should update everything ASAP and that's fine for them.

The MMI updates, sometimes if performed out of sequence or if there is a glitch, can make the system unuseable. Not fun and something I won't risk.

OT; I had an air strut fail recently while 300 miles from home so I limped it home. Not fun, the dash looked like a pinball machine and I had the bonus of "headlight range system malfunction" alarms every five minutes. When the front of the car is dropped, the headlights can't compensate for it and you get the alarm. Then they recover and then fail again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

The point is I can live with and even compensate for a natural component failure on a car with 128k miles. I don't want to risk inflicting a failure to an electronic system by buying discs from jolly old England for twenty five bucks.

Back to the suspension failure; When fully dropped, I had the tire rub against the fender lip while turning in a parking spot. I have stock size tires & wheels. I can only imagine that if I had monkeyed around and changed to 20" wheels that the car simply would not be driveable. Another reason I won't change from stock settings & components. This car is one of two daily drivers I use all the time.

Quick Reply: How To Upgrade MMI Software On Audi A8.