A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought a lemon...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I bought a lemon...

Allow me to vent for a moment. I have a buddy who's an Audi mechanic. He assured me these cars were solid. Either I bought someone else's turd or he's mistaken. I can appreciate that used vehicles will have problems but I've owned plenty of used vehicles and can say pretty definitively that not only is this the worst used car I've ever purchased, but for lack of a better word: it's an all out turd.

Don't get me wrong. I love the way the car looks, love the way it drives and overall love the fit and finish but the line is drawn there. I'm coming from a 2002 Infiniti Q45. The Q had nearly all the features of the A8 and more horsepower. It just lacked the "prestige" of the Audi. Nonetheless, the Q was an easy car to maintain. I put a ball joint on it and did regular oil changes and the car ran flawlessly. I've owned my 2004 A8 for 1 month now. It has "just" 88,000 miles on it and the following is what I've experienced:
  • Upper Engine noise when starting
  • Transmission Issues - See my other recent post
  • Climate Control Fan speed intermittently uncontrollable
  • Noisy and sometimes inoperable air suspension compressor
  • intermittent check engine light (for loose intake manifold - now fixed)
  • intermittent Traction Control Light - need to scan
  • Occasional failure of the Nav DVD drive to read

This is entirely too much stuff to be failing on a car this age and it's not as if it's exotic Audi parts that are failing. The parts that are failing are failing because they're garbage and/ or poorly designed. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd feel better about it if it was the high tech stuff failing and not just the basic car stuff. To me this is inexcusable for a car that demands the price tag that this car did.

I realize it's par for the course and I can afford to own/ maintain/ fix the car but my plan was to give this car to my wife eventually and buy myself a newer S8. Short of someone telling me that my car is just a straight up lemon and that this many problems are unheard of, I'm considering skipping Audi altogether for any future purchase. Is "crap" what's now considered acceptable?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_k
I've owned my 2004 A8 for 1 month now. It has "just" 88,000 miles on it and the following is what I've experienced:
  • Upper Engine noise when starting
  • Transmission Issues - See my other recent post
  • Climate Control Fan speed intermittently uncontrollable
  • Noisy and sometimes inoperable air suspension compressor
  • intermittent check engine light (for loose intake manifold - now fixed)
  • intermittent Traction Control Light - need to scan
  • Occasional failure of the Nav DVD drive to read
This is entirely too much stuff to be failing on a car this age and it's not as if it's exotic Audi parts that are failing. The parts that are failing are failing because they're garbage and/ or poorly designed. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd feel better about it if it was the high tech stuff failing and not just the basic car stuff. To me this is inexcusable for a car that demands the price tag that this car did.
  • Upper Engine noise when starting (Use BG MOA & BG 44K to Flush & Oil Change) BG Pricey but Priceless! Maybe Owner Neglect, but Not Lemon Related !
  • Transmission Issues - See my other recent post (Follow previous Tranny suggestion and Add Lubegard Red) Not Lemon Related, but a correctable Flaw!
  • Climate Control Fan speed intermittently uncontrollable (Clear DTCs and Run Output Test should free Up Motor)
  • Noisy and sometimes inoperable air suspension compressor (Use Dynamic or Comfort Mode not Automatic) Buy Used Compressor w/1 Year Waranty if/when it goes. Not Lemon Related, but Compressor has/is reaching end of Life! Easy DIY!
  • intermittent check engine light (for loose intake manifold - now fixed) Quite Common, but not Lemon Related!
  • intermittent Traction Control Light - need to scan (Will trigger on Wet, Snow, Sand & Ice Pavement) Not Lemon Related & Drivetrain is Rock Solid! How's Your Rubber?
  • Occasional failure of the Nav DVD drive to read (Remove It and have it Professionly Cleaned, but use an Optical Loop to Bypass Unit while servicing). Also DVDs can be/go Bad!
Sometimes it's Worth While to Research Forums before Car Purchase to see Owner Related Issues. Your Issues are Not Uncommon! You should Visit Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infinity the Car Forums to see how many issues they have. The '04 & '05 A8s are Common for Air Ride Compressor, 07 Control Head (MMI), Screen Motor (MMI), and Trunk Issues. Outside of those things, it boils down to Luck of The Draw and/or Owner Neglect! It's best to know what to look for so that you can Negotiate Purchase Price and know how much to set aside for Repairs. Once these things are addressed then you should have a Rock Solid Car! Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 12-18-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to Willie's list:

- Ignition coils will start to go bad soon after 90K miles. There's a TSB out for that and I'd contact a dealer to see if Audi will cover under warranty.
- Check your car's service history to make sure that the timing belt service has been performed. If not, it needs to be done asap.

l8r)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Listen & Learn As We Did!

Originally Posted by ludikraut
To add to Willie's list:

- Ignition coils will start to go bad soon after 90K miles. There's a TSB out for that and I'd contact a dealer to see if Audi will cover under warranty.
- Check your car's service history to make sure that the timing belt service has been performed. If not, it needs to be done asap.

l8r)
As was Stated by ludidraut here's a quick way to check: Go to Audi Of America (Audi USA) and enter your VIN# and see what comes up! As for Service: Whenever Audi Perform any Service on an Audi, it is usually Uploaded to Carfax! So, I would run a Carfax Report to see what was the History on the Car including any Accidents. Hope these tips help! Laters,
Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

(Use Dynamic or Comfort Mode not Automatic) Buy Used Compressor w/1 Year Waranty if/when it goes. Not Lemon Related, but Compressor has/is reaching end of Life! Easy DIY!
I always do. I've only noticed the issue when it's really cold outside. I know it's an easy repair, just annoying when you pile it on top of everything else.

(Use BG MOA & BG 44K to Fluch & Oil Change) BG Pricey but Priceless! Maybe Owner Neglect, but Not Lemon Related !
My buddy swears up and down that it's the tensioners bleeding off pressure and that most the 4.2's he pulls in for service do it in one form or fashion when cold. I just did a fresh change with Mobil One 5w30.

(Follow previous Tranny suggestion and Add Lubegard Red) Not Lemon Related, but a correctable Flaw!
This feels mechanically or like a transmission with low fluid but we're going to check it out further and I'll report back. Either way I'm going to change the fluid and do the reprogram.

(Will trigger on Wet, Snow, Sand & Ice Pavement) Not Lemon Related & Drivetrain is Rock Solid! How's Your Rubber?
I'm not talking about the light blinking when the car is slipping. I'm talking about the light coming on and staying on.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do realize that some of the issues I'm complaining about could be due to maintenance. It's just a little disheartening that it's the basic bread and butter components of the car that appear to be having issues.

I'm a mechanic by trade. I own a company that deals in performance car parts (www.wbodystore.com) for GM V6's. So I'm pretty well versed in the mechanics of things and having a valvetrain make noise on start-up seems like such a basic problem that's it's inexcusable for it to happen.

I'm meticulous with my purchases. I researched A8s and shopped for for one for 3 months before pulling the trigger. I bought this car because it had a service history, new tires, new thermostat and was clearly taken care of. It is in just about mint condition and has other extra details such as a clear bra. The only thing I knew in advance that it needed was a timing belt and I have the entire timing belt "kit" here that's going to go on this weekend.

There was a red flag though. It was a two owner car and the previous owner had the car for just two months. I knew what this meant. Either they had put a lot of money into the car fixing problems and sold it because it was too expensive to own OR they were told it had a lot of problems that would be expensive to fix. Either way, shame on me for pulling the trigger after seeing that on the Carfax.

At any rate, like I said, it's mine now. I'm going to fix what's broken and rock it to till the wheels fall off.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I always do. I've only noticed the issue when it's really cold outside. I know it's an easy repair, just annoying when you pile it on top of everything else.

My buddy swears up and down that it's the tensioners bleeding off pressure and that most the 4.2's he pulls in for service do it in one form or fashion when cold. I just did a fresh change with Mobil One 5w30.

This feels mechanically or like a transmission with low fluid but we're going to check it out further and I'll report back. Either way I'm going to change the fluid and do the reprogram.

I'm not talking about the light blinking when the car is slipping. I'm talking about the light coming on and staying on.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do realize that some of the issues I'm complaining about could be due to maintenance. It's just a little disheartening that it's the basic bread and butter components of the car that appear to be having issues.

I'm a mechanic by trade. I own a company that deals in performance car parts (www.wbodystore.com) for GM V6's. So I'm pretty well versed in the mechanics of things and having a valvetrain make noise on start-up seems like such a basic problem that's it's inexcusable for it to happen.

I'm meticulous with my purchases. I researched A8s and shopped for for one for 3 months before pulling the trigger. I bought this car because it had a service history, new tires, new thermostat and was clearly taken care of. It is in just about mint condition and has other extra details such as a clear bra. The only thing I knew in advance that it needed was a timing belt and I have the entire timing belt "kit" here that's going to go on this weekend.

There was a red flag though. It was a two owner car and the previous owner had the car for just two months. I knew what this meant. Either they had put a lot of money into the car fixing problems and sold it because it was too expensive to own OR they were told it had a lot of problems that would be expensive to fix. Either way, shame on me for pulling the trigger after seeing that on the Carfax.

At any rate, like I said, it's mine now. I'm going to fix what's broken and rock it to till the wheels fall off.
It is a complicated car so lot of stuff will go wrong. The WABCO ECAS air compressor has a finite life. Best to buy a new one as the magnets have been known to separate from the steel cylinder without notice. You can disassemble and epoxy them back into place.

I bought mine used from the Russian Mafia at Luxury Motors. I paid $1k in cash to hold then financed the balance through their bank (Fifth/Third) in case the car turned out to be a lemon. If it was, back to the dealer it would have gone. They could have ruined my credit (BFD-I'm scared) but they wouldn't have got much of my money. After a few months, the car proved fine; I paid it off.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a 6+ year old 90K mile luxury car. I think you made a poor choice if you didn't expect to have to do some repair work. You should have bought a new Honda.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gaspasser19
It's a 6+ year old 90K mile luxury car. I think you made a poor choice if you didn't expect to have to do some repair work. You should have bought a new Honda.
Thanks for your contribution. Clearly you missed my point entirely.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah. I think your issues are quite clearly defined. It would seem that others agree(williebone and ludikraut) that these problems are common to a high mileage top of the line Audi. Again, if you wanted ironclad reliability, you should have gotten a Honda. You may have bought a $15,000 car but you are maintaining a $90,000 car. Why, exactly, did you think it was so cheap after "only" 6 years and 90K miles?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Santa Clause Says Play Nice!

We all understand the Frustrations that come with the A8 and believe me when I say We've Been There Too just like you. I think that GP is a little more Direct than others, but he heard your cry and I'm sure he has just as much compassion! Happy Holidays & laters,

Originally Posted by gaspasser19
Yeah. I think your issues are quite clearly defined. It would seem that others agree(williebone and ludikraut) that these problems are common to a high mileage top of the line Audi. Again, if you wanted ironclad reliability, you should have gotten a Honda. You may have bought a $15,000 car but you are maintaining a $90,000 car. Why, exactly, did you think it was so cheap after "only" 6 years and 90K miles?
GP, Play Nice! lol

Quick Reply: I bought a lemon...