A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I heard a "Woot" today from accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mishar, thank you very much. I will give this some thought and probably do the middle option you mentioned. Hopefully it is not too late.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For $600, I had my local shop (that specializes in German & Audi vehicles) drop the pan and flush 3x times (and change the filter) using the LiquiMoly Top Tec 1800 fluid. Prior to the change, I contacted LiquiMoly directly and confirmed that this fluid Is spec'd for out ZF trans. I did have the "hoot" periodically prior to this...and it has since disappeared. I haven't put a ton of miles on it since the change, but so far so good.

Fluid details here:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3687.html?Opendocument&land=DE&vcmstemplate=mob ile&redirect=1
Old 09-28-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I haven't read anywhere that explain the "root cause" of

these 'hooting' sounds, if the fix is true, Audi should have a recall for this "fix". Did anyone contact Audi about this problem?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-28-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
these 'hooting' sounds, if the fix is true, Audi should have a recall for this "fix". Did anyone contact Audi about this problem?
TSB info from my service records file:

I think I heard a "Woot" today from accelerating-jgzf1is.jpg
I think I heard a "Woot" today from accelerating-5y1wvfi.jpg

Saw a post by Misha about Friction Fighter the other day, and noticed it was added a year later to my D3

I think I heard a "Woot" today from accelerating-o7q6x1j.jpg
Old 09-28-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hooting sound comes from one of the clutches. While engaging smoothly discs are sliding and creating that sound. Fresh ATF has additives that prevents it (sound not sliding), but over time additives wear out. Flushing ATF with about 75% (6 liters) of a new fluid is the fix.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jakematic you lucked out, the previous owner of my car must not have noticed or known about that. Louis, I feel like Audi should cover it. They probably won't since car is 10 years old. They wouldn't replace the rear tail lights after they cracked in the heat outside one day. Mishar, I will just get the transmission flushed out with 6 qts of the ZF gold like you said. I won't worry about the filter. From what I read, I bet there is just a drain plug for it. Though I don't understand how to refill it if there is only one plug. I will take it to a European auto shop.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default if it's a defect and it was fixed for free, then Audi should

owe everyone who hasn't had it done.
I'll email AOA to see if they're going to do anything, although I can't hear anything for weeks.
If it ever comes back and happens often, then I'll contact AOA, but other people, try to contact AOA if yours are bad.
Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-28-2014, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Good luck w/ that. Let me know when the proverbial pigs fly...

TSB fixes are different than recalls. TSB's are fixed during the warranty period for the car upon the owner noticing the symptoms during the warranty period, reporting them, and dealer service confirming, plus to alert service personnel generally for fixes for known recurring issues. With the cars being older now and since it doesn't typically leave owners stranded or with a suddenly dying or otherwise unsafe car in everyday use, it is hard for me to imagine years later they (or NHTSA) would have any interest in further action.

The underlying issue is really a ZF issue, not specifically Audi. It likely affects all of the ZF 6 speeds, at least the ones used in the heavier vehicles. You can find essentially the same TSB for both BMW's and Jaguar's with the RWD version of basically the same tranny for starters--in their format--and much the same discussion here and there on the web or their forums. None of the companies have done any kind of recall AFAIK, and the hoot issue apparently doesn't happen w/ a lot of the vehicles subject to the given manufacturer's TSB.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
owe everyone who hasn't had it done.
I'll email AOA to see if they're going to do anything, although I can't hear anything for weeks.
If it ever comes back and happens often, then I'll contact AOA, but other people, try to contact AOA if yours are bad.
Cheers,

Louis
Good luck with that exercise in futility.

ZF themselves recommend a fluid change at around 80k to ensure longevity in heavy duty applications, however it's merely a recommendation rather than a must do maintenance item, so CYA all round for the OEM's.

Bottom line is, our cars are well out of warranty so you're in your own. Also, even with the occasional hoot from the box there's many many 1000's of miles left in it. It's not a sign that it's about to self distruct any time soon like the old 5 speeders, just that it could do with a fluid change.