A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by seattlematt
Oh, that's interesting, seems that I would hear some of that coming...?
Sometimes. Sometimes they go from quiet and OK to seized it less than a second. Then the belt is gone before you can shut it off.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay now it's time for questions, why are the mirrors so small on a car so big my B 6 is mirrors are much larger. Also why is the right mirror tinted orange did the previous owner replace it with some aftermarket thing or is that on purpose it tinted to the point where it's hard to see.

My wipers also seem to not park correctly they go all the way down to be hidden and then they come back about a quarter inch is that normal or is there some problem there
Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I can answer about your mirrors. No, they do not come tinted orange, that was the previous owner probably replacing a lost mirror with a cheap aftermarket one. They are smaller because larger mirrors increase drag, costing you fuel and increasing interior noise. Adjusted appropriately, you'll get used to it and notice no deficiency in visibility.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by seattlematt
Okay now it's time for questions, why are the mirrors so small on a car so big my B 6 is mirrors are much larger. Also why is the right mirror tinted orange did the previous owner replace it with some aftermarket thing or is that on purpose it tinted to the point where it's hard to see.

My wipers also seem to not park correctly they go all the way down to be hidden and then they come back about a quarter inch is that normal or is there some problem there
Mirrors are larger on later models. Orange tint, sounds like a cheap replacement. Does it dim at night like the other mirrors do? If not, then previous owner cheaped out and bought a non LCD glass. They are heated too so you might want to check that function also on the mirror in question.

The wipers park themselves in a slightly different position each time. It's to stop the wiper blades deforming and developing a "memory". Means they last longer and work better right away.

Timing belt, it will probably look fine as modern EPDM belts don't deteriorate like the old neoprene ones used to. They don't crack and perish so it's not immediately obvious it's on it's way out unless you have a tooth wear measuring tool. However much more likely is one of the rolling components suddenly fails, and that's what causes the belt to let go. In other words, if in doubt, change the belt, rollers, tensioner, water pump and thermostat asap. You can take your chances, but consider a failure will total the car in repair costs.

ATF change is nowhere near $600. More like $200 all in with ATF, filter and gasket. You don't have to use ZF LG6 fluid as cheaper but equally as good alternatives have been found (search this forum). I used Redline D6 ATF at $10-12 a quart in mine, and along with a filter change, it was back to shifting smooth as silk and noticeably quicker. No need to dick around with the hassle of adaptions, or the expense of trying to get Audi to update the software, as you have to change the oil anyway as part of that process. ATF change is pretty much now at a cost level where it's a no brainier preventative maintenance item.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 09-24-2015 at 08:28 AM.