A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inoperable Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inoperable Steering Wheel Controls

Just bought a 2005 A8L with 53,000 miles. Great car but I'm really frustrated with the fact that the steering wheel controls aren't working. This is the one feature in all vehicles I have that I use the most.

I've taken the car car to my local dealer TWICE now and each visit was an ALL DAY drop off and they cannot figure it out. BTW, I've been charged over $600 in inspection fees and no remedy.

The service guy said he thinks a 'spring' needs replaced to fix this but if thats not it he mentioned a steering wheel replacement.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

First thing: buy Ross-Tech VCDS. It will pay itself in a no time. Scan the car and post the scan here. Many guys can and will help.

No. This would be the first thing: next to the steering wheel commands is a small button. Have you tried to push it?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
First thing: buy Ross-Tech VCDS. It will pay itself in a no time. Scan the car and post the scan here. Many guys can and will help.

No. This would be the first thing: next to the steering wheel commands is a small button. Have you tried to push it?
Thanks Mishar, I am unclear where this button is that you are referring to. Only button I am aware of is the one behind the steering column directional button that telescopes the wheel.

Btw, my paddles do work, just not the controls on the front of the steering wheel on either side.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default 1: Manual; 2: Scan; 3: Spring?

Given Mishar and you are referencing "the button," I guess I'll start with the obvious: have you read the car manual about the wheel controls yet? The separate one specifically for MMI, not the regular car manual. If not, or you don't have one (and it's not "on line" FYI), that's probably step one.

Scan: As Mishar also says, if you are still struggling and following generally the manual, or already know how to use it from prior Audi specific experience, time to scan. If you were already charged $600, as an example you could have gotten the standard cable we all use (which in turn accesses the software--the real value) for 2/3 of that.

Spring: They are probably referring to what is called in the vernacular the "clock spring"--so called because it's construction tends to be a set of electrical connections which is wound around a center to allow the wheel to turn (like an old fashioned wind up clock or watch), yet have controls on the wheel. Standard stuff for airbags, wheel controls, paddle shifters, etc. It physically sits at the center of the wheel behind the airbag and horn assembly. The scan should show if the signal here is faulty; common experience is if there are known connection problems involving switching on the wheel, it's usually either this or the switch assemblies. But then, as a different scenario if the car has paddles now but didn't originally, it could get into things like the prior owner/installer didn't configure the settings for the wheel correctly and o it "lost" the other wheel control.

Net, manual, scan and proceed to repair in that order. And by the way, if you paid for the diagnostics you should be able to get the dealer scan print out/report too as another idea, though getting the cable is still the right way longer term to save $ quickly on stuff like this. And if the dealer didn't scan it (can't give it to you, can't produce a copy/record, etc.), well at least to me that says they aren't approaching it right for starters.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Given Mishar and you are referencing "the button," I guess I'll start with the obvious: have you read the car manual about the wheel controls yet? The separate one specifically for MMI, not the regular car manual. If not, or you don't have one (and it's not "on line" FYI), that's probably step one.

Scan: As Mishar also says, if you are still struggling and following generally the manual, or already know how to use it from prior Audi specific experience, time to scan. If you were already charged $600, as an example you could have gotten the standard cable we all use (which in turn accesses the software--the real value) for 2/3 of that.

Spring: They are probably referring to what is called in the vernacular the "clock spring"--so called because it's construction tends to be a set of electrical connections which is wound around a center to allow the wheel to turn (like an old fashioned wind up clock or watch), yet have controls on the wheel. Standard stuff for airbags, wheel controls, paddle shifters, etc. It physically sits at the center of the wheel behind the airbag and horn assembly. The scan should show if the signal here is faulty; common experience is if there are known connection problems involving switching on the wheel, it's usually either this or the switch assemblies. But then, as a different scenario if the car has paddles now but didn't originally, it could get into things like the prior owner/installer didn't configure the settings for the wheel correctly and o it "lost" the other wheel control.

Net, manual, scan and proceed to repair in that order. And by the way, if you paid for the diagnostics you should be able to get the dealer scan print out/report too as another idea, though getting the cable is still the right way longer term to save $ quickly on stuff like this. And if the dealer didn't scan it (can't give it to you, can't produce a copy/record, etc.), well at least to me that says they aren't approaching it right for starters.
Wow thanks for putting in the time to respond. I do have the MMI manual and haven't gone into front to back but rather topic by topic depending on where my curiosity drives me. I'm still clueless where this elusive button is so I'm guessing I don't have one.

Mos def will be getting a VCDS now and will ask for reports from stealer. I'm hoping the clock spring they ordered will be the fix.

Pisses me off that they broke the plastic silver bezel surrounding my horn. Anyone know a part number for that?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your steering wheel can't be adjusted. So forget the button.

For the commands on the steering wheel you need VCDS. As far as I remember Multifunction Steering Wheel has to be sett in Installed List under Gateway.

It can be the clockspring too. I hope that performed some diagnostic. Clockspring is fairly expensive since it comes with Steering Angle Sensor.

If they broke your silver ring let them replace it. If not here it is. Be careful with airbag. It may be better to fix it with some glue. I just have no clue what they where doing in order to brake it. You take it out only to replace switches.

Last edited by mishar; 02-12-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought your steering wheel can't be adjusted. So forget the button.

For the commands on the steering wheel you need VCDS. As far as I remember Multifunction Steering Wheel has to be sett in Installed List under Gateway.

It can be the clockspring too. I hope that performed some diagnostic. Clockspring is fairly expensive since it comes with Steering Angle Sensor.

If they broke your silver ring let them replace it. If not here it is. Be careful with airbag. It may be better to fix it with some glue. I just have no clue what they where doing in order to brake it. You take it out only to replace switches.
Thanks mishar for the link to the silver ring. I'm not sure how they broke it either but they sure as hell didn't bother telling me. Do you think this would be something I would be able to replace this myself with basic tools?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you able to replace your brake rotors and pads? If yes than yes.

You need one Torx wrench (can't remember which one) to remove your airbag and 10 mm wrench to disconnect your battery first. If you decide to do it I can help you with more information.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you able to replace your brake rotors and pads? If yes than yes.

You need one Torx wrench (can't remember which one) to remove your airbag and 10 mm wrench to disconnect your battery first. If you decide to do it I can help you with more information.
Actually I've never replaced brake pads or rotors but wish I knew how so I could save money. If the $tealer doesn't end up replacing it for me than I will be taking you up on that offer!

Thanks again for your time, truly
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default UPDATE

Dealer got Audi on the phone and they Audi replaced my complete steering wheel ($1,600) at no cost to me as a peace offering and to show they care. Unreal and very pleased given NO warranty and its an 8 year old car.

Quick Reply: Inoperable Steering Wheel Controls