A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inquiries for Alex TXA4 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inquiries for Alex TXA4 (long)

I know that Audi of America will allow US buyers to special order any exterior color that is normally unavailable at the buyers request for $3,000 on any Audi model (such as northern blue pearl effect for the S8 that is normally standard for the A8/A8L but is normally unavailable for the S8).

But my questions are:

1a. Will AoA (AoA being Audi of America, of course) allow S8 buyers to special order the amaretto/black interior (with amaretto alcantara headliner, amaretto Valcona leather door panel inserts and monotone amaretto Valcona leather seat upholstery, front and rear) on their S8?

1b. If so, how much more money would it cost?

This interior color is normally standard on the A8/A8L but is normally unavailable on the S8.

2a. Will AoA allow an S8 buyer to special order their S8 with a black alcantara headliner on their S8 with the black interior that has monotone black Valcona leather seat upholstery, front and rear?

2b. If so, how much more money would it cost?

On the S8, black alcantara headliner is normally available as a no cost option for the black interior with the two tone black and silver Valcona leather seat upholstery, front and rear, as well as the black interior with two tone black and espresso brown Valcona leather seat upholstery, again, front and rear.

However, on the S8, the black alcantara headliner is normally unavailable with the black interior with the monotone black Valcona leather seat upholstery, yet again, front and rear.

Depending on what kind of job I land in the next few months, I will most likely buy an S8 instead of the S6 I had my heart set on buying. Here is why I will choose the S8 over the S6:

1. The S8's mandatory adaptive electronic air sport suspension is far more suitable for the extraordinarily blemished roads here in southeastern New York state than the S6's mandatory basic sport suspension.

2. The extraordinary Bang and Olufsen vehicle surround sound stereo system is unavailable on the S6. B&O is far superior to Bose. And, apparently, the optional B&O stereo in the D3 A8/A8L/S8 is far superior to the B&O home stereo system that drive4fun on the C6 A6/S6 forum owns.

3. The gorgeous, elegant, sporty and opulent full leather interior trim option is unavailable on the S6.

4. The four zone climate control is unavailable on the S6.

5. Optional four way power lumbar support for the outboard rear seat positions.

FWIW, since I don't put a lot of stuff in the cargo area of the vehicle that I currently own (a 2006 Toyota RAV4 Limited AWD I4), I am much more than happy and much more than willing to give up the individually lockable 60/40 split folding rear seat backrest that is mandatory on the S6 and unavailable on the S8 for the S8's standard and optional features mentioned above that are all unavailable for the S6.

I am also willing to live with the mandatory crummy space save spare wheel and tire on the S8 (vs. the excellent full size spare tire with matching alloy wheel on the S6) to have the S8's standard and optional features mentioned above that are all unavailable on the S6.

Also, FWIW, I love the S8's sport seats almost as much as I love the S6's sport seats and almost as much as I love the B6/B7 S4/B7 RS 4 Recaro seats.

IMO, Valcona leather (which is what is in the S8) is almost as wonderful (and extraordinary) to look at and touch as Silk Nappa leather (which is what is in the S6).

Also, IMO, both Valcona leather and Silk Nappa leather are the best textures of vehicular leather on Earth by far.

And, IMO, the S8 has nicer exterior and interior styling/design than the S6. However, both the S6 and S8 have incredibly gorgeous and excellent exterior and interior styling/design, IMO.

Oh, what size (diameter and width for the wheels and diameter, treadband width and sidewall height for the tires) would be needed for a set of four wheels with V rated winter performance tires on the S8?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One other thing

Even though it will most likely be a year or so before I buy an S8 (if I even buy an S8 at all, that is; remember, it all depends on what kind of job I land in the next few months), the sooner I get answers to my inquiries, the better. Thank you dearly in advance Alex TX A4!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Since the spare is 18inch, you can use 18, 19 or 20's. I suspect the ..

18's give very little clearance for the brake rotors I suggest you not go lower than 19 inch.
The Audi Germany website gives these options:

1. 8 J x 19 16-Spoke Design with 235/45 R 19's

or

2. 8,5 J x 19 S Design with 255/40 R 19's

I ran Quatro GmbH 20 inch 9 spokes with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 275/35 20's through the winter. They worked really well even in heavy snow

As for your other questions, I have no idea!
hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where do you live, geordie?

I live in New York on Long Island and we have had a lot of tough winters here over the past seven years.

BTW, how is the following on the S8 with the 275/30YR20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S UHP (ultra high performance) tires: handling, grip, braking and steering in the dry, handling, traction, steering and braking in the rain, steering and braking in the snow, ride comfort and quietness and noise/vibration/harshness in all conditions?

I see that the S8's handling and traction in the snow with these Michelins are excellent.

However, I would think that studless winter performance tires (V rated only on a car of the S8's caliber) would be needed on any vehicle (S8 is most likely no exception to this) for excellent handling, traction, steering and braking on sleet and especially on ice.

FWIW, I do know that exterior colors that are normally unavailable can be special ordered for $3K.

Hopefully, if I do buy the 2008 or 2009 S8 next year, I can special order the amaretto/black interior like I described in my first post.

Or, perhaps, I can hopefully special order a black alcanatara headliner with the monotone black seat upholstery like I described in the first post.

Again, I do not know that I will be able to do a special order like this for the interior on the S8. I am just hope AoA will allow me to do so.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default NW burbs of Chicago with a weekly commute to Central Illinois. This winter ..

we had plenty of snow with drifting so I got to test the capability of this car in pretty harsh conditions.
I ran the Michelins from November through April. I was very, very happy with them. Given that we are talking about winter conditions, in practical use, the car lost nothing in moving to the A/S tire.
The car was noticeably quieter and the ride more compliant on the Michelins yet the car lost none of its responsiveness.
Grip in winter conditions changed completely. The 20 inch 9 spokes were originally shod with Dunlop summer tires (10k on them). I swapped the OEM rims for the quattros and Dunlops and then took the car to the shop to swap to the Michelin A/S tires. That was scary! It was cold, and icy and the car simply wouldn't do anything. Sure it would get going in a hurry but try to turn or stop - no way! With the Michelins in place, grip returned and with it steering response and braking. In snow, with all the electronics in place the car was as stable as could be with bags of grip and control. If you want to have fun, turn the electronics off and go for some power slides! With 450 hp available it is a blast!
I now have the Pirellis back on and clearly a summer tire is the right choice for the season. The car is "sharper" on these, I would not run this car on the A/S option all year.
Hope this helps
Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thank you, geordie

In that case, if I buy the 2008 or 2009 S8 next year, I will be sure to not have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires in any size on the aftermarket wheels that I will purchase for this car.

The aftermarket wheels I will put on the S8 if I buy it are a set of four 20 X 9.5 inch HRE 890R wheels with a chrome plated lip (first choice) or a high polished aluminum lip (second choice if first choice is unavailable), chrome plated center and Audi four rings logo centercaps identical to the ones used for the original equipment 19 X 9 inch wheels on the S6.

Of course, these gorgeous wheels would only be on the S8 every year from the first Saturday in May through the last Saturday in October.

Also, if I buy the S8, I will purchase a set of four of whatever Audi original equipment accessory or aftermarket wheels in the 19 X 8.5 inch size that are available in the United States of America will fit the D3 (2007+) S8 with 255/40VR19 Bridgestone LM22 with UNI-T (whatever UNI-T is) winter performance tires. If I go with an aftermarket 19 X 8.5 inch wheel for the winter time, it would have whatever Audi four rings logo will fit and a plain silver finish.

Of course, the far less gorgeous winter wheels and tires would only be on the S8 every year from the last Saturday in October through the first Saturday in May.

According to the Yokohama website, the Yokohama Advan Sport summer tires (which are either ultra high performance tires, maximum high performance tires or extreme sport performance tires) in the 265/35YR20XL are the original equipment tires for the D3 (2007+) S8, where they are non-run flats).

On the Tire Rack website, these Yokohama tires have the best reviews of any tires on any website by a large margin.

According to the Tire Rack, the non-run flat Yokohama Advan Sport tires (regardless of specification in the non-run flat form) have excellent handling/grip, steering and braking in the dry when the outside temperatures are a minimum of 40F degrees, excellent handling/traction, steering and braking in the rain when the outside temperatures are a minimum of 40F degrees, excellent ride quality and comfort, even or the poorest roads and extremely low levels of noise/vibration/harshness, even on the poorest roads.

The handling/traction, steering and braking in the snow, sleet and ice with these Yokohama tires, run-flat (if run flat is even available for the Yokohama Advan Sport tires) and non-run flat is dangerously poor, regardless of specifications), according to the Tire Rack website.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What size are the Pirelli's that you use for the summer on your S8, geordie?

And, do you use the OE S8 wheels or aftermarket wheels in the summer? Also, which wheels do you use on your S8 in the winter?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Winter wheels are shown on the signature photo - quattro GmbH 20 inch shod with..

Michelin A/S Pilot Sport 275/35's
Summers are the OEM 20 inch "S" wheel (see the pictures in my account) shod with OEM 265/35 Pirelli P Zero rubber. These are on now.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Thank you, geordie

what snow tire would you buy a s8 2007?