A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed AMI but now says tv/dvd player not installed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed AMI but now says tv/dvd player not installed?

so i took out my cd changer and replaced it with Audi Music Interface unit, now it says CD/dvd player not installed do i have a a Bad AMI unit?does ipod need to be plugged in?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OMG this is driving me nuts!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did not experience that. When I unhooked the Cd changer and plugged in the AMI it came up on the screen as interface. It was simple plug and play for me. I dont know if you have bad unit or not but it sounds like the car is not seeing the AMI.

I think I read something before that you might have to tell the car that the AMI is there via Vag-Com or dealership program. Good luck
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

can anyone confirm this i have an 07 a8l with newest software, please let me know so i can file a paypal claim against the ebay seller it was a used AMI
Old 12-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The ipod charges and says connected but mmi is not reading.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

any ideas?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Are you using VAG-COM to set the current configuration?

My sense is not, since you don't mention it. Telling the system what components you have installed (via VAG-COM) is part of the AMI installation instructions as I recall. They only focus on the CD player and the AMI unit, but there are other elements of the configuration. Some have posted they installed AMI w/out VAG COM, though I'm not sure. When I did mine (which has factory DVD/video in the rear as a W12), I followed those instructions and all went fine.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so it does need vagcom plugged in and then what?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got a brand new audi music interface kit shipped from uk with the most splitter and power splitter for 523 shipped...however I got everything plugged in, ipod shows audi on the screen, but I can't get MMI to recognize the unit???I even tried plugging the unit in directly still would recognize it, any ideas???do I have to reset something for mmi to read it???
Old 12-24-2010, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 2007 W12 was built with the MP3 CD changer but not with AMI. I was on MMI S/W version 3360 when I bought the AMI kit that came with the MOST and power splitters. My AMI unit was recognized without needing to update anything with VAGCOM but I don't know why some others needed to. Perhaps the previous owner of my W12 had done so and took the AMI out to put in another D3, maybe an newer model or an S8, when he went to sell the W12. Maybe at the time my W12 was built, the engineers had started enabling for AMI but the cars didn't ship with them yet.

Can you see "Source" menu item in the upper right while in the CD/AUX section of the MMI? I can't remember if the menu item was there when I only had the CD Changer installed.

Pressing the upper right corner button to select "Source" takes you to a screen where you can select between CD changer and AMI. Also, pressing the CD/AUX button repeatedly toggles between the sources in that screen. For those in Europe (and for the few who have modded accordingly in the US), it also includes TV Tuner/Aux inputs 1 & 2, as well as DAB if installed in the toggle list.

If you don't see a source menu then perhaps you do need to enable the additional component via VAGCOM. Unfortunately I don't have experience with that so I can't contribute but I believe it is detailed in MP4.2+6.0's original AMI self install thread. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Installed AMI but now says tv/dvd player not installed?