A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

instrument cluster keeps turning off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine can be all dark when i start the car in the morning, then start working after 10 minutes, and going dark again 10 minutes later - however it seems more likely to happen if its cold/damp weahter.

Clearing the codes doesnt seem to matter.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 AM
vmk
Audiworld Junior Member

By going dark do you mean the needles drop to 0 as well?

Mine works at all times but it 'reboots' sometimes over and over and over until i clear the DTC.

Do you lose clock settings? Does it go back to 0:00?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My symtoms is much like yours.
When it goes dark, my instrument cluster and all interior lighting except MMI and gear lever lighting goes dark. All dials turn to 0. Car functions normally.

It can be dark in the morning when i start up and be like that for 10 minutes, then start functioning and function for the rest of the trip. It can be working ok in the morning but go dark after aprox 10 minutes and start functioning again like nothing was ever wrong, 10 minutes later.

I dont know about my clock. I use radio-clock so its auto back to the right time it seems.

I've just started working on this problem. Im storing the car in a warm and dry garage over the weekend.
Now i've taken of alot of interior covers, looking for any damp places but not finding any. Haven found any signs of coroded wires or connectors. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00668

All my fuses seems fine but to eliminate problems im gonna swap em all today. Im also charging the battery, gonna tell the car it has a new one and enter a new serial into the battery management module - also to eliminate problems.http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ry_Replacement

What different things have you tried?
How long does your car stay dark before it all returns?
How often does this happen? Does it seem like weather affects it at all?

Any tips on what to try next? Anyone? (i dont like the idea of spending alot on new control modules or instrument cluster if i dont KNOW thats the source)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

It does sound like an ignition switch problem. A bad switch can affect many electrical devices.
Use vcds to see what problems registered.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

My instrument cluster was dark with no gauges working after my car was transported (cold winter, took a few days). After getting the car looked at by 3 audi dealers, it was discovered that this can happened because of low battery charge... as the car turns off certain functions to save charge and keep more critical functions working (like the engine running) to get you to safety. But my instrument cluster was the only item effected, all other lights worked fine. After letting the battery reach full charge again... I have had no problems in 10 months. I have to say, the 1st dealer was all ready to pull the cluster and replace it for a like $4K, glad i got another opinion. These cars are so complex not even the dealer knows what going on some times.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My fault occured again, while driving. Much like PAC described in a previous post. Voltage when engine running is 14.4V and not running 12.6V. My battery is about one year old and should be good.

Så after driving about 7 minutes with no faults, needles died and all possible alarms went off. The alarms was chiming for a bit, then the instrument cluster all went dark and stayed dark for the rest of that trip. When the instrument cluster goes dark, the MMI buttons and AC/heater control panel also goes dark.(car driving lights, MMI with all functions, ceiling-light was all working like normal) When i parked it was still dark, but when i activated the parking brake, the parking brake light on the instrument cluster came on as the only light in the dark dark night.

I'll post fault-kodes after i get home from work today.
Maybe my fault isnt related to the one vmk describes. Should i make a seperate post?

PAC: Did it help to just replace the instrument cluster, that was the right fix?

Originally Posted by PAC
my cluster was replaced during the first 3000 miles of ownership. 06 A8L,
the needles were shuttering and the cluster went off completely...with all the associated alarms chiming! apparently had to be ordered specific for the car. You may want to attempt to find out if the tech has taken one out before as it's easy to break the plastic vents and mark up the opening to the right and left of the cluster when removing it. best of luck!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Instead of hi-jacking this old thread I've posted a new one with better information:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2856490