A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone/iOS 4.1 update seems to break Pandora over iPod AMI

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Homa
Go into the iPod app on your phone (it will say that it in accessory mode or something), next you want to kill the iPod app by holding down the “Sleep/Wake” button until you get the “Power Off” slider now hold down the “Home” button until the app exits, now you can start the Pandora (or any other internet radio app) and listen to the streaming music of your choice.
Seems like a lot of work for something that was working perfectly in version 4.0
I'll try out this method, but really want Apple to fix it in 4.2 (due in November)

If anyone else is having this issue where other music apps (pandora, last.fm, NPR) cant play thru the Audi AMI, please let Apple know here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the same problem with my IPhone4. When I select Pandora it plays initially but immediately the volume drops and it goes to pause. If I hit play again it does the same thing plays, volume drops and then goes into pause mode.

The really interesting thing is my wife's IPhone 3G does not do this. I can select Pandora, the ipod pauses and the Pandora plays fine. The 3G has been updated to the latest 4.1 version. Any chance there is a setting that would make this work on the IPhone4?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Bluetooth Audio on 3G MMI

The ipod adapter works great when you are using an ipod. But, keeping your iphone in the glove box is a major hassle. The real question is when will Audi provide the software update to enable Bluetooth audio on the 3G MMI? The bluetooth adapter dongle only works with 2G versions and according to articles I have read, the 3G MMI comes equipped with the necessary hardware and only requires a software update. I have inquired at my local dealer and am waiting on a response. Anyone hear anything?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aross
The ipod adapter works great when you are using an ipod. But, keeping your iphone in the glove box is a major hassle. The real question is when will Audi provide the software update to enable Bluetooth audio on the 3G MMI? The bluetooth adapter dongle only works with 2G versions and according to articles I have read, the 3G MMI comes equipped with the necessary hardware and only requires a software update. I have inquired at my local dealer and am waiting on a response. Anyone hear anything?
For the 2G MMI system to play music over bluetooth you must either get the bluetooth dongle adapter $200! or the x-car link option. Bluetooth works best as it integrates into the MMI smoothly, and the x-car link slows down the MMI bootup when the car starts up. Just a tad though. Either way I'm still using CD's; saving my money for future repairs.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Streaming BlueTooth

I tried the poor man's streaming adapter and it works great. I picked up a Bluetooth adapter from eBay for about $17 (eBay item id 250628743246) and picked up a 3.5mm AMI cable. This allows me to stream Pandora/Ipod over AMI. When a phone call comes in it mutes all and works fine. Only drawback is that the Iphone now is the display unit, as the MMI just display "Connected". This whole solution costs about $65.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
I tried the poor man's streaming adapter and it works great. I picked up a Bluetooth adapter from eBay for about $17 (eBay item id 250628743246) and picked up a 3.5mm AMI cable. This allows me to stream Pandora/Ipod over AMI. When a phone call comes in it mutes all and works fine. Only drawback is that the Iphone now is the display unit, as the MMI just display "Connected". This whole solution costs about $65.
Thanks for sharing a lower cost alternative to the absurdly expensive Audi OEM bluetooth adapter. The downside is Since it's going through the 3.5mm jack, you don't have track advance and rewind via MMI buttons. Since it's outputing to analog, there is a loss in quality, although if that's perceivable is up for debate.

Can someone with Audi OEM bluetooth adapter confirm that you can advance and rewind tracks on Pandora via the MMI buttons? I've read that you can for sure when streaming from the iPod app.

Also, I've submitted comments with apple via the previously linked page so we can at least hope they fix the bug. However, being an owner of various Apple products for the last decade, I would wager this issue will never be addressed and might even be intentional.

Last edited by ModestW12; 10-05-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Confirmed and persistent with 4.2.1 An Audi MMI update for iPhones would be GREATLY appreciated. Does anyone know if Audi intends to update the MMI software at some point?

Originally Posted by ModestW12
Prior to updating a few hours ago I was able to listen to Pandora over my W12's B&O system via my iPhone 4 connected using the AMI iPod cable.

Specifically, I would plug in the iPhone, select Audi Music Interface in the MMI, upon which it would start playing the first track of the first alphabetical artist, and I would then app switch the iPhone to Pandora which would stop the iPod app and start playing Pandora music over the car's audio system.

After completing the update, I tried the same procedure and now after Pandora audio starts playing, it stops after 4 or 5 seconds and switches back to iPod app audio. This keeps happening no matter how many times I app switch back to Pandora.

Please let me know if you have updated to iOS 4.1 and are experiencing the same issue. I may have to restore from backup if this is a confirmed issue.