A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with climate control

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issue with climate control

Looked at an 04 today, only issue was that as soon as you start the car, the climate control went on and then shut off shortly after and none of the controls on it would work. Seller told me that he thought it needed to be reprogramed due to the battery going dead recently. ANyone know if this is a costly repair? Also sunroof control would not operate as well as two of the controls on passenger seat would not work. Car had only 54K on it. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 A8L. I disconnected my battery in order to swap out my steering wheel and not accidentally deploy the airbag. When I reconnected the battery, some of the options in the MMI had reset to their defaults but nothing in the car required "reprogramming". Car batteries die. I'm sure Audi is aware of this and doesn't build a vehicle that requires a trip to the dealer because of a dead battery. I suspect something is wrong with the climate control on the car you are looking at.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I replaced the battery on my A8 last year and nothing had to be reprogrammed. I would be careful of this car.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 AM
PAC
AudiWorld Member

In the ErWin Audi A8 repair Manual there are a list of steps to follow when the battery is changed/removed. It is best to put the battery in "Support Mode" and maintain power to the battery connections (car) during the whole process. If you don't, once new is installed, apparently you have to:
Deactivate Service Mode of Telematic Control (04 w/ onstar)
Activate automatic Open/ close function of electric window lifters. Refer to owners manual.
Turn ignition key lock once to left as far as it will go.
Synchronize secondary and additional keys to insure remote control operation.
Check DTC memories of all control modules and erase "undervoltage DTC if necessary.
ABS may illuminate but will go out after a few miles of driving.
If battery was replaced, Energy Control Module must be coded anew.

I can't copy the pages. copyrighted.

Research this more. Apparently it is not a simple to just change a battery and reconnect.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default All interesting, but all quite contrary to my actual experience

I pulled the battery out of mine about 5 times (literally) to deal with some wiring mods I was doing--there are some controllers directly underneath the battery of all things. In two cases the battery was out of the car for up to a day.

Basically, nothing needed resetting. Certainly not the keys, nor any warning lights, nor anything needing VAG COM (which I have). Maybe the clock/time and that was it. Maybe the first time you use the windows, they don't one touch drop or raise too. But you just use them and if self re-calibrates. And yes, technically it stores a battery under voltage in the system, but having read the codes about a hundred times now, that is probably the number one code this car generates. Happens any time you leave the lights on a while, run the radio or MMI for a while after shutting off the car, even when cleaning the inside for a long time with the doors and thus inside lights on. And it has no lasting effect or turns on any warning lights.

Don't know about OnStar on a 2006 (only through the mid 2005's until bluettooth arrived), but that's now just an ET warm fuzzy glow light anyway since the analog service was DOA a few years back now.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know what the issue is. Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to repair? ballpark? It will come on when u start car and then shut off after about 5-7 seconds and nothing on the climate control panel will work after that.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 AM
PAC
AudiWorld Member

You really need to run a scan of the modules to best proceed.