A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issue with memory seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issue with memory seat

Hi guys,

The memory seat on the driver's side when i press the buttons do all the adjustments for the back of the seat but it does not move the seat forward or backwards. I have to use the appropriate button from the side of the seat to move the whole seat front or back.
Is there something I should check? maybe a loose connection?
Any ideas?

Thank you
Jim
Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup, sounds like a either flaky connection or a bad module. I had something similar happen with my passenger seat. Try disconecting the battery and see if a hard reset works.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4canada
Yup, sounds like a either flaky connection or a bad module. I had something similar happen with my passenger seat. Try disconecting the battery and see if a hard reset works.
Thank you.. I will try that the next couple of days and see if i have any luck
Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got the same problems with my 2006 A8L. The memory works some of the seat functions, but not forwards and backwards on the drivers side.

Does just disconnecting the battery do the "hard reset", or is there something else that needs to be done when it is reconnected?

Can disconnecting the battery cause other problems?

Many thanks,
Karl
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, does the hard reset effect the service schedule reminder?

Regards,
Karl
Old 01-26-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

disconnecting/reconnecting the battery will 'reset' most of the modules in the A8. Nothing else needs to be done. It will not cause any additional problems, trip the alarm/immobilizer, trigger warning lights, or wipe the transmission memory and such. It also has no effect on the service schedule reminder, those values are stored in the ECU and must be actively reset.

There will be a record the event (time and voltage level), but really its just another note in a long list of codes retrievable only when you or the dealer logs into the car.

if that doesn't work than you can try re-seating or swapping the the memory connector from the passenger side...
Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great, I'll have a go and report back!

Jim - have you had any luck yet?

Cheers,
Karl
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kabre
Great, I'll have a go and report back!

Jim - have you had any luck yet?

Cheers,
Karl
well went to pick up the car and it was not working. They were playing with it for 45 minutes out in the freezing cold and i felt sorry for them. they concluded that there was something wrong with the memory module.
As I was pulling out the driveway the memory seat started functioning again.... go figure... i guess i will have to keep my fingers crossed and it will stay that way

Last edited by hellenicboy; 02-01-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4canada
disconnecting/reconnecting the battery will 'reset' most of the modules in the A8. Nothing else needs to be done. It will not cause any additional problems, trip the alarm/immobilizer, trigger warning lights, or wipe the transmission memory and such. It also has no effect on the service schedule reminder, those values are stored in the ECU and must be actively reset.

There will be a record the event (time and voltage level), but really its just another note in a long list of codes retrievable only when you or the dealer logs into the car.

if that doesn't work than you can try re-seating or swapping the the memory connector from the passenger side...

"if that doesn't work than you can try re-seating or swapping the the memory connector from the passenger side."

HOw do i do that? and where is it located?
Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

there are several, behind the memory switch itself in the door and where it plugs into the ECU; the MMI seat symmetry function uses the same module. Seat commands are sent to the controller on the side of the seat with a data link. You can look for that cable under the seat, it should stand out as a thinner gauge set.