A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just did 'metal gear' fix to my MMI screen...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Hopefully better than it looks in the pics too

In the pictures it looks almost like an aftermarket afterthought. Not the screen display, but rather the housing, especially in some of the off/side angle pictures. Kind of goes with the Mustang Ranch garish lighting treatment though. Almost like I could find this stuff in the JC Whitney catalog.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I do not know of a 'how to' article, so I had to figure it out. The thing is put together like some ancient mystical puzzle...you know the metal pieces and the plastic pieces were once separate and were assembled ,so there HAS to be a way to dis-assemble them. But I never could figure out the "key" to solve the puzzle.

So, I did the only thing I could see that would to get the gears out of the mechanism. I used a razor knife to slice off a little nub of plastic that acts as a stop for the arc shaped gear that needs to move past the stop in order to reveal the gears. When I re-assembled the mechanism I used a tiny screw to hold a bit of plastic in place to act as a stop.

If anyone has found another way I would still be interested to know how it was done, just out of curiousity.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Almost like I could find this stuff in the JC Whitney catalog.
"Fits most cars....(not yours)" Everything Automotive. JC Whitney hasn't been the same since they moved from Chicago to "Downstate" Illinois.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Problem

After a smooth 45 minute drive last night I arrived home, only to shut off my car and have the MMI screen make a grinding noise when trying to shut. It closed about 50% of the way then got stuck, I manually got it to close and when I try to open it it gets 50% of the way up.

My question is:
Should I just take it to my indy shop to have the gears fixed, because theirs no way I could do it myself.
Or does anyone have a better idea or actually have a metal gear I can give to the indy shop to prolong the life of the replacement, or should the replacement one be improved or set to go for the life of the car.
Thanks !
Rob
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Well...

maybe that's an improvement. There was the set of Audi four cylinder pistons I ordered once. The first three were really cool, German OEM and all. But then the fourth was just a random piston from who knows what. Sent it back and guess what; they never could come up with the full set.

Or, the custom floor carpet for the 56 F100 pickup. Really nice in general, except for the custom part where they forgot the last inch. And no it wasn't an F100"L."

Nonetheless I bet for about $14.95 I can find some neon lighting to approximate that D4 stuff, plus if I look in the Winnebago section I'll find the screen. But, clearly I need to look in my West Marine or Yamaha catalog for parts for that new shifter. Plus, age about another fifteen years to see if this look excites me more.

Seriously, the new techno stuff plus some of the drive and suspension stuff sounds very interesting. But other stuff tries too hard or is already yesteryear like the BMW flame side look that is dime a dozen.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, brought it to an indy shop and was quoted for $675 out the door to have the assembly behind the MMI replaced. $450 or around for the part itself, they order it straight from Audi.
I know I own a luxury car but these minuscule little repairs are becoming a real pain in the ***. Takes the fun out of owning the vehicle and just makes it more of a pain than a pleasure of owning one.

Last edited by Brozee; 02-05-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ordered the gear set I mentioned from eBay for $97. I installed it and everything is working splendidly. It wasnt that differcult to install it, but it was time consuming. From what I replaced, I didnt think it was worth $97 but I'm sure most of the cost went into the legwork to put this compound gearset together. As for the little nub that someone mentioned earlier that keeps the swing arm from moving out of the way to get the gear out, just pry it under the other arm with a small flat blade and you can slide it out of the way.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Post that $97 Link Please!

Originally Posted by hugabone
Well, I ordered the gear set I mentioned from eBay for $97. I installed it and everything is working splendidly. It wasnt that differcult to install it, but it was time consuming. From what I replaced, I didnt think it was worth $97 but I'm sure most of the cost went into the legwork to put this compound gearset together. As for the little nub that someone mentioned earlier that keeps the swing arm from moving out of the way to get the gear out, just pry it under the other arm with a small flat blade and you can slide it out of the way.
The Seller I was working with charged around $160 and I'm interested in knowing who else was providing this service Cheaper than what I was getting it for. Thanks and Laters,

williebone
Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't want to use metal gears as replacements. Audi made them plastic for a reason. Using metal replacements is likely to cause damage either the motor gear or worse the traveler arm gears which will be nearly impossible to replace.

I have worked with a local machine shop to reproduce exact replicas of the plastic gear pairs and have them available for anyone that wants. Please contact me directly by email at jrstokka at gmail dot com.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my MMI gear fix today by a local mechanic for $230 dollars. The gear was bought over the ebay for $127 dollars.

Quick Reply: just did 'metal gear' fix to my MMI screen...