A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is It Just A Quattro Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is It Just A Quattro Thing?

Has anyone ever heard or felt this happen? From a Standing Still Positon, turn the Wheels Fully to either the Left of Right and start to take off. Do you hear a sound coming from your wheels or feel anything while taking off? It won't happen if the wheels aren't turned fully, but only when turned all the way. I was told that it is a Quattro Transfer of Power to the Wheels and not to be worried and it is Normal. Is this true? Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 11-20-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, quite common
Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Good!

Originally Posted by Satch0922
Yes, quite common
Everyone talked about the Wheel Bearing issue, but described it as a Clicking Sound. I thought that this was the Issue, but it's not Clicking it's more like a Rumble/Rub. Thanks for clearing it up. Laters,
Old 11-20-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't worry, be happy

It's quite normal. It's the "Quattro Shuffle". Every Audi (quattro) I've had does it. Only at full steering lock when starting out sharply. It lets you know the quattro system is working

It's more of a rumble or vibration... defiantly not 'clicking, screeching, scraping or clanking'. Those sounds would be BAD!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikeNSX
It's quite normal. It's the "Quattro Shuffle". Every Audi (quattro) I've had does it. Only at full steering lock when starting out sharply. It lets you know the quattro system is working

It's more of a rumble or vibration... defiantly not 'clicking, screeching, scraping or clanking'. Those sounds would be BAD!
I can see clearly now the rain is gone! lol Thanks and laters,
Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I believe that noise is AKA: Tire Scrub
Old 11-20-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hmm!

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I believe that noise is AKA: Tire Scrub
That would seem a little Suspect for me Since I'm Running Spacers (20mm Rear/15mm Front) pushing my Tires away from any Suspension Parts. I would go on to say that most are probably not running spacers and are hearing/feeling the exact same thing. IDK, if you've experienced it, but check it out and let me know. Thanks & laters,
Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default here's what's happening...

Originally Posted by williebone
That would seem a little Suspect for me Since I'm Running Spacers (20mm Rear/15mm Front) pushing my Tires away from any Suspension Parts. I would go on to say that most are probably now running spacers and are hearing/feeling the exact same thing. IDK, if you've experienced it, but check it out and let me know. Thanks & laters,
Audi designed the Quattro system to lock all differentials for the first 3-5mph, so that as you accelerate from a stopped position you will have maximum traction incase the road surface has very slippery conditions.

If you are taking off in a straight line you do not notice anything different. Or if you are turning after exceding the lock-up mph you won't experience anything. But,if you are turning a corner as you are accelerating from a stopped position the outer wheel/tire is no longer able to free wheel which it needs to do because it needs to turn much faster than the inside wheel/tire in order to travel the extra distance relative to the distance the inner wheel/tire has to travel ; the outside tire/wheel has to cover its required distance regardless of the fact that it can not roll fast enough to keep up (it can only turn at the same rate as the inside wheel/tire because the axles are lockede together as one by the diff)so the outside tire gets dragged/pushed ie. 'scrubs' through its arc of the turn.

Last edited by awdinut; 11-20-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bravo!

Originally Posted by awdinut
Audi designed the Quattro system to lock all differentials for the first 3-5mph, so that as you accelerate from a stopped position you will have maximum traction incase the road surface has very slippery conditions.

If you are taking off in a straight line you do not notice anything diferent. Or if you are turning after exceding the loch-up mph you won't experience anything. But,if you are turning a corner as you are accelerating from a stopped position the outer wheel/tire is no longer able to free wheel to hide the fact that it is turning much faster than the inside wheel/tire ; the outside tire/wheel has to cover its required distance regardless of the fact that it can not roll fast enough to keep up (it can only turn at the same rate as the inside wheel/tire because the axles are lockede together as one by the diff)so the outside tire gets dragged/pushed ie. 'scrubs' through its arc of the turn.
That's about as Technical As It Gets! How in the Hell did you find that Tid Bit Of Info? Thanks and laters,
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, be aware that the term "scrub" is referring to the tires scrubbing the pavement, not rubbing on any suspension components. It isn't noise as much as a feeling. It's the inside tire scrubbing the pavement because it is turning at the same speed of the outside tire, but covering a shorter distance.

You can really experience this in something like a Grand Cherokee with Command-Trac (Jeep's full-time 4-wheel drive). Mom's turn the wheels to lock, trying to pull into a parking space, and complain about the car "lurching" through the turn. It's really quite pronounced!

I think Audi really does an amazing job of smoothing out a tight turn while using a fully mechanical full-time, all wheel drive, drive train.

Anyway, for what it's worth...

Quick Reply: Is It Just A Quattro Thing?