A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak between engine bell housing and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Blimey, I am glad mine is the Tdi and similar design to the later chain drive V8's - I hope there are no little surprises like that awaiting me. Mine is totally dry at just short of 80k - but diesels tend to leak less anyway due to the slightly lower operating temp and generally more rigid block.

S4master1 - you are clearly very knowledgeable on Audi's and I think your posts are often very useful - I think you do tend to purposefully add abrasive comments to generate a reaction. You look at things from a professional point of view as that is your position - virtually everyone else here is not a mechanic or vehicle technician, but simply people who own and try to maintain their cars, at their home. As a result we look at things from a different perspective - it is not fair to continually draw parallels and criticise other methods of working unless they are just wrong.

There are many ways to cook an egg but unless you burn it, it is none are wrong, simply different.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I think you do tend to purposefully add abrasive comments to generate a reaction.
You nailed it and it's called trolling. While our Audi master occasionally contributes with a constructive post, probably so he does not get banned by a moderator, most of the posts are either pure trolling or contain legitimate information sprinkled with inflammatory remarks.

The only proper way to interact with troll commentary is to not respond at all or ignore the inflammatory portion of the post. In other words, don't feed the troll. Anything else, i.e., correcting possible misinformation or pointing out the disruptive commentary, just makes the troll comment succeed by causing the focus to shift to the troll and away from the thread topic.

BTW, feeding the troll can be just as bad as the troll itself to a thread topic. Finally, this was not directed at you Edd W, rather it was intended for our forum community. For more on trolling, check out urban dictionary or wikipedia. With that said, let's get back to the topic of this thread...
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
Really have you done this job before??? If you have done it before you should know you have to replace the rear cover gasket and rear main seal, which is pressed into the cover?? Sounds like you haven't had any experience with this ....Note, Removing the transmission is just as much work if not more than removing the engine. Since you put your 2 cents, I would like to see your photos of the removed transmission for this job and your seal flange replacement to fix this(Not sure what that is exactly). I always like it when comments are just thrown in with no facts to back it up.

Now for facts: Transmission removal was an obvious first choice when we took on the project, but after researching the job including the advice of two 30yr+ Audi techs we chose the engine removal. One of which assisted with the job.(Thanks Jeff).

That being said I would like to see some proof regarding your 2 cents claim on an D3 A8..... If you can show me something I don't already know about the 05 A8 I would gladly take your 2 cents, but please don't just state something without backing it up with facts. I would really like you to show all of us otherwise. I will be waiting to see.

Just facts no cents
since you wanted facts and I have too much free time I checked the entire North America database on the rear main seal and nobody sells it alone.
Either the one you got is an aftermarket part or a dealer is breaking the franchise rules selling non original parts.
as I said this design goes back to 1990 v8. and yes you can buy an aftermarket seal for $5.10 and it comes alone the part number is 077-115-147-a
would be nice to see a copy of the dealer invoice.

Just the facts.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edd AND Modest thanks for your posts. I agree with everything you have said and will take your advice Edd on the trolling. Anyways like I said before I just try to post useful information. It should be noted that I looked and posted about the leak when it initially happened. I couldn't find anyone with the same leak to say, show or post anything of what ended up being wrong with my car. So after I got it all taken care of I figured I would help the next guy out in my shoes. Wish the Audi Master would have shed some of his knowledge on the subject the first time, but there's always room for redemption. Thanks again and I will have more useful pic posts coming.

Last edited by A8nightmare; 05-17-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, A8nightmare.

Posts like yours make these forums an indispensable resource for us all.

It's far better to have the information and real world experience of others than going blind into the dealership.

-Jake

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
It should be noted that I looked and posted about the leak when it initially happened. I couldn't find anyone with the same leak to say, show or post anything of what ended up being wrong with my car. So after I got it all taken care of I figured I would help the next guy out in my shoes.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, this is one of the more valuable threads in this forum! It goes into detail on a specific and unusual issue and includes photos, schematics, and part number information. Thanks to the OP!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ModestW12
I agree, this is one of the more valuable threads in this forum! It goes into detail on a specific and unusual issue and includes photos, schematics, and part number information. Thanks to the OP!
I agree. It would be great help in making decision to live with the leak or try one of those "Stop Leak" products.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for stealing this thread. I have leaking problem with my car and would appreciate if you can give me your thoughts. Thank you in advance. See the attached photo.

The car is not old, year 2016 with only 35000km on the clock (I don't drive a lot daily). When servicing the car two weeks ago, I asked the mechanic to check out the bottom of the engine as it was oily and muddy (See the area where I cleaned up later in the photo). It was not severe at all. The mechanic told me it is the rear main seal leaking, and need to be replaced. He also mentioned if I did not mention they don't even bother. It probably had a few drop leaking then stopped recently. I checked from the top of the engine down to the bottom, no oil leaking elsewhere.

I cleaned the oily area, and made now 350km, both city and high way. When I check the bottom again, it looks fine except point 1 (in red), the area around that bolt is wet (oil). A few points in order: oil stick shows the oil level is not dropped; put a cotton wool stick in hole no. 3 (in green), not wet or no oil; please ignore the oil mark in area pointed by arrow no. 2 (in black). That is the messed up when they replacing oil and oil filter when they serving the car.

Again, sorry for stealing the thread. You guys are too good and I cannot resist to do so.

Thank you!!!
Dave

Old 08-27-2021, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My guess is a bit optimistic: could be the mechanics split oil when serving the car a year ago or even two. Oil eventually run down to the bottom and stayed there, and no one noticed it before. The area around that bolt was still wet could be that I did not clean it properly.

I am thinking to drive for another few hundreds kms and see if the oil/wet returns. If the area around that bolt becomes wet again, what do I do?

Thank you!!!
Dave
Old 08-27-2021, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

This is the A8 D3 forum, 2003-2010 - you should check with a different forum.