A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leather repair

Any insight on this? I was just shopping for straight up replacements but I've got the amaretto interior which makes finding a replacement seat a difficult adventure.

The seats aren't in bad shape. In fact, they're in really good shape. I'm just **** retentive. The driver's seat has a 2 inch long crease that almost looks like a cut but it isn't. The passenger seat has a 1/2" tear that I just discovered, on the front bolster.

So has anyone had this stuff repaired? Once repaired, can they dye it to match the stock color? I'd love to just have the seats repaired and re-dyed.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It can be done with amazing results depending on the person who is doing the job, ask your friendly Audi dealer, they know for sure somebody.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default In the small world dept...

I was on Craigslist for greater SF Bay Area last night. By chance some guy has a set of D3 amaretto seats he bought for a project that he is now trying to sell. Had a few cosmetic things, but maybe different/less than yours. Caught my eye only because I have amaretto--I was looking for unrelated stuff. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/2305508730.html

Suspect the market for D3 upholstery in general is really thin, so you may be a near only buyer beyond kids with A4's or VW's. No idea where you are, so there is shipping and all that too.

Originally Posted by Mike_k
Any insight on this? I was just shopping for straight up replacements but I've got the amaretto interior which makes finding a replacement seat a difficult adventure.

The seats aren't in bad shape. In fact, they're in really good shape. I'm just **** retentive. The driver's seat has a 2 inch long crease that almost looks like a cut but it isn't. The passenger seat has a 1/2" tear that I just discovered, on the front bolster.

So has anyone had this stuff repaired? Once repaired, can they dye it to match the stock color? I'd love to just have the seats repaired and re-dyed.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to work for a very high end furniture manufacturer and that gave me an idea.

Perhaps call around to the highest end furniture dealers near you and inquire about leather repair.
Note I said dealer, not retailer.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default the odds are not good...

Originally Posted by tx170754
It can be done with amazing results depending on the person who is doing the job, ask your friendly Audi dealer, they know for sure somebody.
As you can see in the photo, I have a set of tray tables in my 04 that has an Amaretto interior. They were purchased used from Germany and neither were Amaretto, so I had to make the search for someone who could mix a batch of Amaretto paint.

I had three different local auto paint stores try, but to no match. I had a paint expert at a local restoration shop try. I contacted the SEM paint company (they market a line of auto interior paints) and they agreed to have their lab try,but no match. Then SEM put me in contact with their largest retailer because that store has a lot of experience in matching paint,but no match.

All of those sources had one of my headrests to use as a target. I am the most **** MF on the planet, but I had run out of ideas and had spent a lot of money, so I had to pick one of those results. As you can see in the photo the tray shells are not the same color as the leather of the seats.

But, the original seat backs were not the same shade as the leather either. So, the trays are just a different color that is different than the original (trim)different color.

Point being, I think you will have to paint both front seats entirely because the paint you get will not, in all probability match well enought to do one pannel here and there. If you do happen to find a match pleas let me know, and I do wish you better luck than I had !

By the way, the headrests are obviously not OEM (different shape than RSE headrests) but they ARE ,amazingly, Amaretto. The Vizualogic company that makes the monitor/DVD players also makes the headrests for them and the company has some connection to the Audi leather supplier.
Attached Images