A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at new A8 at dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked at new A8 at dealer today

I just picked up an S4 for my wife 3 weeks ago. I was at the dealer today and sat in an A8. I was very impressed. Currently I drive a 2003 CLK 500 and the lease is up in 14 months. I was going to consider the new CLS 500 that is being released soon but I am leaning towards the A8. My CLK is fun to drive but scheduling a service appt. can take up to 6 weeks if you want a loaner car. Also Mercedes Benz is doing away with the free scheduled maintenance.I will also be considering a BMW 645. I just want some feedback regarding the A8.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CLK 500 was one of the cars I considered before buying the A8

I also considered the 645, but frankly both are very different cars to the A8. I drove the CLK500 but didn't find it "special enough" (no offense). I didn't drive the 645 (but judging by the 545 I drove, it would out-perform the CLK500). I discounted the both BMWs because of the appalling I-Drive, and the poor interior materials - plus I wasn't thrilled with the design of either (though 645 is way better than 545).

I considered other cars, more expensive than the A8 also, but eventually the A8 proved to have the best balance of virtues important to me, namely: fun to DRIVE, good design, quality of workmanship and materials, comfort, space and stealthy prestige.

I almost bought the E55, but then the thought of my wife or kids occassonally driving the beast and getting into trouble worried me, so I passed on it.

If you want a coupe, the A8 won't do it for you, but if you need a 4 door - you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: CLK 500 was one of the cars I considered before buying the A8

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Looked at new A8 at dealer today

Rocky, your scenario sounds like exactly like mine. I bought my wife an A4 Cab one month ago, I was so impressed with it I'm considering A8L for me. I have driven 9 MB's and currently driving 02 S430, good car but no excitement. I too am considering cls500. My lease expires in June and I soon have to order a car for delivery for when the lease is up. I have driven the A8L, drives nice, roomy, and has all the luxury of the benz, but my one problem is $80M and it's an Audi, not a MB. Maybe I have had to many benzes to long to switch even though it maybe the more exciting car to drive. I read everyones comments every day trying to be convinced this ought to be my next car. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I read your comment about it is an Audi and not a MB, I am not that overly impressed with Mercedes Benz unless I am driving a SL65 like my boss drives. I think the A8 blows away the S500. At breakfast last week I was talking to some associates and they said the same thing about it's an Audi not a Benz. Who cares? I would take an A8 over the S500 any day. The car I really want is the Bentley Continental GT.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Exactly.

The three pointed star tells everyone you can afford to buy the best car out there. The four rings tell everyone you know better.
Why is the MB, which is inferior to the Audi in almost every way, more expensive? MARKETING.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:56 PM

My impression is that you already like the A8 and you are wrestling with what others will think when they see you in a non-MB automobile.
It is undeniable that the new A8 is better than the MB you are looking at in every way except 2:
- it is a 4 door and not a coupe
- it does not have the MB star on the hood
Personally I prefer the stealth luxury symbol that Audi represents.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:12 PM

Default You know what they say - "Intelligent and confident people drive Audis,

Huge egos drive BMWs, and arthritis with a lot of money drive Benzes" May be overly simplistic, but the truth is somewhere there..
Old 12-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Don't let the dollars throw you -

I've found the Audi leases to be much more attractive than MB - we've had a couple of Mercedes (my wife is currently driving an '04 E series) - the lease numbers for the E were disproportionately close to the A8 numbers although the stickers on the two cars are very different. And, don't forget to add back the maintenance...
Old 12-11-2004, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uh oh Gus, I just discovered Arthritis in my big toe.

Do I have to sell the car?? BTW, MBs are almost everywhere and are not as exclusive as they used to be. While Audi has climbed to the top of the heap, MB is on a gradual decline.

Quick Reply: Looked at new A8 at dealer today