A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost keys follow up for those with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost keys follow up for those with questions...

I'll review what happened again because I didn't do it well in the original post.

1. My A8 was in the shop again. It was just there 2 weeks before and 2 weeks before that also. It has been there every 3 weeks since the day I bought it 2.5 years ago. I have written letters to AOA and they were actually involved with the car being in the shop this time. But for all the problems with the car, I wouldn't need a loaner in the first place.

2. I drop the car right in front of the loaner managers desk and leave the keys on the roof like I have done for the last 2.5 years. The loaner manager and my service manager see me do this. I have to check in with them to get my car back. They know I'm there. The car wasn't left in some obscure back lot. It's also a high traffic area. It couldn't sit there more than a couple minutes due to all the other loaners coming in. The guy that moves the loaners is back and forth moving cars constantly. Seems like leaving the keys on the roof would be helpful even though I know I should have turned them in.

3. My Service Adviser calls me 3 days later asking if I have the keys. I tell him I left them on the roof. He's says they'll give another look. That was November 11.

4. November 29th the Loaner Manager (not my Service Advisor) calls and leaves a message on my cell phone that he's charging my AMEX $180.00 for the missing key. He doesn't call to discuss it. He doesn't ask if it's ok. He just calls and tells me how it's gonna be.

If the key wasn't $180.00 I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. If he didn't demand the money I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. The same key is on Ebay for $50.00. So you know the dealer buys it for less than that.

The things that happened this week are just the "straw that broke the camels back" again. I have had problem after problem with my car and with the people that work for Audi. If this were a first time incident I probably would handle it better than I am. I know I didn't explain that well in my original post.

The problems I've had with the car are:

1.MMI not working again and again
2.TPMS failure again and again and again.
3.Recall after recall for everything from trunk hinges to airbags to seatbelts.
4.Faulty therostat (this one left me stranded and took Audi roadside 2 days to get my car off the side of the road)

My Audi is leased and the lease is up in a few more months. I'm shopping cars right now. I've asked AOA to just get me into another 3 year lease on a 2007 and out of the 2004. They said no... Lease is up in June 2007.

It's not just 4 incidents. It's these 4 over and over and over. I know other 2004 owners can relate. Everyone in that dealership knows me by name because I'm in there all the time.

I started my own business 11 years ago. Now it's a multi million dollar company. I treat my customers like gold. I don't care what the problem is or whose fault it is, I'll fix it. I didn't get to where I am by nickel dime'ing my customers over stupid stuff. If I did to one of my customers what Audi did to me I'd have been dumped.

As for feeling bad for dealers because of their problems with loaners...You gotta be kidding me. If it's such a bad business, don't do it. I have things in my business that are labeled "Cost of doing business". **** happens and there isn't a chance in hell I'm gonna call any of my customers and ask them to pay me $180.00 for anything. They can replace that key for next to nothing and all of you know it.

I apologize for coming off like a dick to some of you in my original post.

Jason
Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you intending to buy another car from this dealership?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

fwiw, make sure to call amex to contest the charge.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Unfortunately, dealers hire folks who may be knowledgable about the mechanics of doing...

...the job---But more often than not, they often lack an understanding of customer relations---with the exception of most MB and Lexus stores. Heck, my dealer must be a real small-fry---no loaner manager; all handled by service staff.

If you plan on another Audi (a big if, I suppose), I certainly would not return to this dealer. I'd wonder what response you'd get from the sales manager if you asked him for reasons why you should continue to do business at his store after your recent experience with the loaner manager. Would love to hear that response.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jason, you last paragraph sums it up very well.

This is why Im leaving Audi. 5 days and counting!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I would tell AMEX to reverse the charge

*uck them, it doesn't cost them $180 for a key. At least they should pass it along to you at cost.

And they let weeks go by.

You leased the car and got a lemon so you have lived with it.....I feel for you.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As they say in the red light district...F'em!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Poor example of a dealer...

Who is it anyway?

I would say, worst case, they should only charge you for their cost for the key and eat the labor charges. The key itself I believe retails for around $65, so their cost is probably lower. The actual labor to program the key is like 10 minutes, but they usually charge 1 hour.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would say, worst case(for Audi), Jason leaves the fold!!!!

Is it written anywhere that the keys must NOT be left on a cars roof? Ask the service mgr. if hes got room in his butt for both sets PLUS that nice, long valet key!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry, Greenie, no room with his head there ;^)

Tell that dealer and AoA to pound sand.

Go get an LS460L and forget about it.

Any car you buy, make them do a "We Owe" in the deal with pick-up and drop off for service...they pick up your car, leave loaner, and swap out when done. Even my Ferrari dealer picks up and delivers, no loaners though. Bastages.

Good luck. You too Greenie.

Quick Reply: Lost keys follow up for those with questions...