A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low-Oil MIL On, but Oil Levels ok?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 AM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Low-Oil MIL On, but Oil Levels ok?

I have been sporadically receiving a low oil MIL on the dash. When I check the oil on the dipstick when the engine is hot, the oil is barely sticking to the minimum fill level mark on the stick; however, when I check it cold, it is sitting thick all the way up to the "full" mark on the stick.

Are the oil sensors on these cars known to have issues? I don't want to add any oil and risk over-filling but of course I don't want to be running with low oil. I do smell an oil burn from the engine every time I drive it so losing oil is a possibility. I don't see oil spots on the driveway, however, probably because of that highway sound-insulating piece under the engine. I got the oil changed by Audi about 2,000 miles ago or so.

Thanks

Naudi Guy
Old 06-28-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same problem here, sporadic Check Oil notification in dash. Mostly i get it after drivng continously hunreds of kilometers, never with like 100-200km at a time. And yes, I can drive for 30-35h in two days, from southern europe to Finland.

Do you have V8 4,2 or W12? Mine is a W12. My ex 2006 W12 also had the same problem. The problem mainly persists after prolonged HIGHWAY HIGH SPEED driving. like 4-5hours of 100-200km/h on autobahn.

I suspect either the oil level sensor OR my faulty PCV membranes (replaced them recently so haven't been driving long distance yet). And if it's the membranes, they probably cause a high-vacuum situation under the valve cover, that attracts big amounts of oil under the valve covers and the oil then drains back when the engine cools down.

I also noticed that the oil dipstick can vary, if i get the message then i stop, it shows like full. Next stop it shows half way and then minimum. And this goes on as long as i drive. If i let it sit for a while the oil drains back to the sump to max level.

And a normal problem is a valve cover gasket leak, leaks oil onto the exhaust manifolds or behind the engine or other places. Mine does not have this problem, and this is of course distingushed by a oil burn smell.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:33 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
Same problem here, sporadic Check Oil notification in dash. Mostly i get it after drivng continously hunreds of kilometers, never with like 100-200km at a time. And yes, I can drive for 30-35h in two days, from southern europe to Finland.

Do you have V8 4,2 or W12? Mine is a W12. My ex 2006 W12 also had the same problem. The problem mainly persists after prolonged HIGHWAY HIGH SPEED driving. like 4-5hours of 100-200km/h on autobahn.
I've got the 4.2 V8. I'm getting it immediately after turning the vehicle on in some cases, even when cold. Otherwise, it's when hot and kicks on every time. I just went down to the car a few minutes ago - it's been sitting for like 18 hours and is totally cold - and the oil is at the max on the dipstick (will upload photos shortly). But, once I drive it a bit and its gets hot (and the car gets hot fast, and stays hot, but the temp gauge never exceeds anything greater than the half-way mark; the Audi tech says the cars run at 210F+).

The MIL has been kicking on immediately after start more often lately, when previously it was doing it when it was hot only.

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
I suspect either the oil level sensor OR my faulty PCV membranes (replaced them recently so haven't been driving long distance yet). And if it's the membranes, they probably cause a high-vacuum situation under the valve cover, that attracts big amounts of oil under the valve covers and the oil then drains back when the engine cools down.

I also noticed that the oil dipstick can vary, if i get the message then i stop, it shows like full. Next stop it shows half way and then minimum. And this goes on as long as i drive. If i let it sit for a while the oil drains back to the sump to max level.

And a normal problem is a valve cover gasket leak, leaks oil onto the exhaust manifolds or behind the engine or other places. Mine does not have this problem, and this is of course distingushed by a oil burn smell.
I heard the same from the Audi tech regarding the valve cover gasket leak. I am going to have to replace the drive belt soon as it's wearing down (it's been on there for 7 years) and, when they're in there, I may have them replace the valve cover gaskets. I smell an oil burn every time I drive the vehicle and, hopefully, this is where that oil is coming from.

Anyway - think it's something to be worried about? It's very annoying, and alarming and confusing at the same time since the oil levels appear fine on the stick only when stone cold. There are no codes being brought up in VCDS related to the oil MIL even when the MIL is on and I have the vag-com plugged in.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

When you say drive belt, do you mean timing belt or serpentine belt? The serpentine belt is in no way on the way to doing valve cover gaskets, but given it's about 3 minutes labor, probably would only add the cost of the belt. If it's timing belt you are talking about, there is still very little overlapping labor, but given how much is involved in that, no harm in throwing in valve cover gaskets as well, I suppose! Just look for signs of oil residue, particularly up by the firewall or the front bottom corner, no point in replacing it if it isn't broken.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Relatively cheap and easy to eliminate the oil level sensor. Pick one up now and swap out the old one the next time change oil. Since it's bolted to the bottom of your oil pan, it makes sense to do it with the oil drained out. What usually happens is an internal leak in the sensor causing a false "lo" reading. If the plug in part is all oily, that is an indication of an internal leak.

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/a...l-level-sensor