A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map rarely displays

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Map rarely displays

All indicators display, but the map in the nav system rarely does. If it does diaplay, it can't keep up with the moving car. (It doesn't scroll). Most of the time though, I just get the turn indicators and distance indicator, but no map. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 610 Likes on 509 Posts
Default Antenna?

Not keeping up sounds maybe like an antenna problem, where it is then forced to try to dead reckon from the last reading it had. Definitely not right.

Originally Posted by Kebabian
All indicators display, but the map in the nav system rarely does. If it does diaplay, it can't keep up with the moving car. (It doesn't scroll). Most of the time though, I just get the turn indicators and distance indicator, but no map. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thought that might be a possibility but what is strange is I can be stationary and see that the GPS has 7 or satellites and know what road I'm on. But no map. The voice instructions work perfectly too so the antenna must be working somewhat. Turned the car on not long ago, waited 5 minutes no map, but could calculate routes and show me the routes, but no maps.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check for codes as next step?

With a VAG-COM if you have one or know someone who does.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've got one on order should have it soon. Will try then.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Waiting for Vag-Com arrival

I know this may sound strange, but could it be heat related? The map displays in the morning and even starts moving, after a few minutes, it becomes jerky and inconsistent, after 10 minutes, barely updates and after 20 stops displaying new map areas. Just an arrow indicating the car.

Leaving work, no map at all, just an arrow indicating the car. (The car has been out in the sun and is hot inside)
Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got the Vag-Com. Shows no issues with the Navigation System. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Need more info:

1. What year car (looks like 2004 in your profile)?
2. What MMI software rev?
3. What Nav DVD map disk rev.?
4. What display mode is the Nav in? (if it is in "overview", try switching it)
5. Any issues at all with the radio/sat--stations jumping around, station memory getting lost, etc.)
6. Did you run a comprehensive scan with VAG COM to go through all the modules in the car? (w/out looking at it again, I can't be sure, but you would be looking for any related subsystem--antennas, MMI control, Nav, etc. It takes 15 or 20 minutes, but it gives the whole car an "electronic physical"; I usually save mine then print to review more carefully)
7. Any history of spilled liquids on the MMI control console?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Answers to yuor Questions

First of all, thanks very much for all your help with this. It's been driving me crazy.

Answers:

1. 2004
2. It's running 4140 (Was running 0600. I upgraded to try and get rid of the problem, but no change)
3. 2008/2009
4. Have tried all modes. When I have current position and leave the car overnight, I'll get the map in the morning 90% of the time. But it won't keep up with my position and eventually the map disappears. (Goes grey) Just the arrow indicating the car, the compass, the distance to the destination and the scale. (If I change the scale) still shows blank/grey map.
5. No problems with the Radio. I don't have Sat Radio.
6. Full Vag-Com scan is attached.
7. When I bought the car two weeks ago, the MMI would power on, but after a few seconds, it would shut down. I took it apart and cleaned it all with Q-Tips and alcohol. (There was some brown residue on the PCB) Everything worked fine. Maps displayed for a few days too.
Attached Files
Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ran some tests today. One thing I noticed was when looking at the Measured Value Blocks for the Navigation System, the "direction of travel" on Block 04 showed invalid when stationary, which I believe is correct. Reverse, when I reversed and nothing when moving forward.(Just a hyphen) Could I be onto something?

Quick Reply: Map rarely displays