A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the market for a '08 S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for a '08 S8

and found this jewel:

http://www.advantagecertified.com/in...entory_id=2646

Only problem is the history of an accident (no amount of damage stated in the carfax). I've never seen an A8/S8 with red stitching. Car is an exclusive edition (specially ordered). Looks amazing. Spending a few extra grand to get a CPO isn't a big deal, I just LOVE the color combo on this car. Just worried about the history. Any suggestions? It's 400 miles away so it's not worth it to drive it to inspect it! ;p

Also, I found it USED to be listed here:

http://elite-auto-group.ebizautos.co...d-6081432.html

Here is a link to the carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=COO_0

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and btw, the seller states the vehicle was only in a minor collision. (I noticed the V10 badge is missing from the passenger fender, which is where the seller said the damage was).
Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love the color combination too. Too bad it doesn't have the B&O. But, I'd really be concerned about the accident damage. I guess you could call the dealer up in NY that serviced the car. Perhaps they were involved in the repair and could give you some details. I also noticed that the service after the accident report included a laundry list of items. Could these be the result of accident damage that wasn't noticed right away? I think I'd be nervous about owning this car without a CPO.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've read some mixed reviews on the B/O system. I hear it's not too great with compressed audio when compared with the Bose system. And to be honest, I've had my 2005 A8 for about 3 years and the Bose system sounds nice. I'm sure the B/O system is wonderful, just not a deal breaker for me.

EDIT: The car does still have a 20k mile warranty on it, which is somewhat comforting. I'm going to call that dealership this morning and see if they know anything.

EDIT 2: Grrr... dealership did not service this vehicle.

Last edited by Sccpmusc26; 03-07-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find the B&O system to be a huge improvement over the Bose on uncompressed (lossless) mp3 off the ipod via AMI and via CD, and, surprisingly, a pretty big improvement on FM radio. The only feed that doesn't make much difference is the crappy satellite radio.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder why this car went through three wholesale auction sales in four months. Strikes me as unusual for an otherwise high-demand car.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daf999999
I wonder why this car went through three wholesale auction sales in four months. Strikes me as unusual for an otherwise high-demand car.
It's not a good sign either. This is why you don't buy vehicles on emotion. That kind of action in a 4 month window would have me passing, despite the car being absolutely stunning.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Love my S8, but its in the shop monthly.

B&O is great, but dont let it be a deal breaker. the accident could be a deal breaker on an all alum car.

B
Originally Posted by Sccpmusc26
and found this jewel:

http://www.advantagecertified.com/in...entory_id=2646

Only problem is the history of an accident (no amount of damage stated in the carfax). I've never seen an A8/S8 with red stitching. Car is an exclusive edition (specially ordered). Looks amazing. Spending a few extra grand to get a CPO isn't a big deal, I just LOVE the color combo on this car. Just worried about the history. Any suggestions? It's 400 miles away so it's not worth it to drive it to inspect it! ;p

Also, I found it USED to be listed here:

http://elite-auto-group.ebizautos.co...d-6081432.html

Here is a link to the carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=COO_0

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and btw, the seller states the vehicle was only in a minor collision. (I noticed the V10 badge is missing from the passenger fender, which is where the seller said the damage was).
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmm...

That's a pretty large gap between the passenger fender and the hood. Between that and the missing V10 emblem on the passenger fender, I wonder just what the quality was on the work performed? Is it just a lack of attention to detail, or are there bigger issues lurking deeper?

I couldn't pull the trigger at that price and take a chance. I can spend similar money and get one that hasn't been in an accident.

Regarding the repeated wholesale transfers, it's a bit much but not unheard of. I wouldn't worry about that as much as I would worry about the price on a previously damaged vehicle.

Mike_k is right, don't get emotional about this one. This one just isn't right...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

You guys are right, I'm just being impatient. My buddy/tenant is the general sales manager for McDaniels Acura (which is connected to McDaniels Audi) right here in Charleston. Last week he told me he had a guy interested in a Porsche Panarama and he was trading in his 2008 S8 with 41k miles. Vehicle is suppose to be cherry black with black interior and have the B/O system. CPO'd for 60k. I asked him about it yesterday and he says the deal is 90%. Guess I just hate waiting, but I've honestly been looking for "the one" for about a month now.

Thanks for pointing out the gap. I noticed it yesterday when I was relooking at the pics. It's a great looking car but could turn out to be a major headache after 50k miles when the warranty goes up.

I'll continue waiting to snag up the perfect S8 and will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sccpmusc26
Guess I just hate waiting, but I've honestly been looking for "the one" for about a month now.

I searched for just over four months before I found my Precious. Then I flew, one-way, to drive it and look it over.

The plan was that if everything checked out (I did my own on-site mechanical inspection), I would be driving the car home. If not, I would be needing a ride back to the airport so I could buy another one-way ticket home.

No joke! You'll find similar stories if you surf these forums enough.

Take your time, don't be impetuous or emotional, and stick to your wish list! Your Pretty will reveal herself soon enough (or not!) BUT DO NOT COMPROMISE!!

By the way, airfare was $487 out, and would have been another $487 back, but the car turned out to be "The One" and I drove it home. I would not have hesitated to spend the money on a return flight if the car wasn't up to snuff after my inspection.

No, I'm not rich. I'm another one of those "demographic rejects," as another frequent poster calls himself. But in order to find the perfect ride, I was willing to do what it took. She wasn't going to just leap into my lap! (Or, maybe I have that lap thing backwards!)

Good luck, shop smartly, and be patient!

Quick Reply: In the market for a '08 S8