A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massaging and vetillated seats.. am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massaging and vetillated seats.. am I missing something?

The massage part seems to be just the lumbar moving in and out.

The ventilation does nothing to cool you in hot weather. The air it blows through the seat has much less force than a sleeping baby's breath, and it isn't cooled air. With all the great features of Audi, I'm disappointed with this feature.

Do other cars with these features do it better.... like having air conditioned cool air pumped into the seat, or having a massage unit that was actually made for the purpose?

My car came with it, but I'd be mad as hell if I would have paid $1800 for this option.

Comments?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I believe the massaging moves the lumbar supprt assembly up and down as well as out and in using two motors. The ventilated seats blow ambient air through the seat vent holes. Whatever the air temp is is the air temp that comes through the hundred thousand holes in the leather seat cover. Set air temperature lower and you get cooler air through the seats.

Personally, I notice a big difference using the ventilated seats on hot days. No sweat at all versus some where I contact the seat surface if I don't have the feature turned on. Not much airflow, but a big difference in seat temperature. There are two fans, very similar to computer fans in each front seat. One for the seat bottom, one for the back. The bottom picks up floor air and the backrest has an intake on the inside edge of each seat.

I use the massage function maybe six times a year. Just a gimmick IMO but I'd still get is if I was buying new since you may as well get everything you can with these overpriced sewing machines.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes. Too bad it doesn't duct air conditioned air to the seats. I wonder if other cars do that features 'cooled seats'?

Where I find them ineffective is when I leave work after the car sat in the sun all day and is 120 degrees inside. I still keep them turned on at about a setting of 4.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Other manufacturers have fans that draw the air down through the seat rather than blowing it up. I found them to work well.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine work pretty well. If I'm sweaty after walking to class or if I just got done playing a sport and go for a ride I don't notice the seats until about 5 minutes have passed then they are just fine.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah, I notice the ventilation here and there. More so after I've been out doing something, when I move around in the seat, or when i have my golfing dri-fit shirts on. As for the massaging, it's pretty good in my car. Drove a buddy around that had his mind set on a Mercedes S550 and now he's not so sure as I guess it's not that common and plus he loved my interior room and design even though I have a SWB model.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Mister Bally describes correctly

After about 30 seconds I find I get more sense the massage part has some value; takes a littl time to realize its rhythm.

Yes, air flow is subtle too. Basically from Spring to fall I put both seats in about position 4 and call it good. Above that and you can start to hear the fan a bit of audio is quiet. Heated seats override the fan feature too, though if you do heated seat first, then fan, you can get a bit of hot air movement briefly.

As other posters said, it doesn't cool your behind like sitting on an ice block or anything remotely like that. Yes, some others do. Instead, just helps your shirt and the like not sweating up and sticking to seat like w/ many regular leather (or fake) seats. Audi alays says Piech insisted on no drafts in car, whether that's for real or just the party line for excuses.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Only other cars I tried with the vent option are a 2008 S63 and a 2009 S350 and I would say that my A8 is doing a better job than both those MBs.

Haven't tried the massage option in other cars but I rarely use it in my ride. I'd rather have a dynamic side support option like MB and others than a massage seat. Esp when not having alcantara seat inserts.