A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Coolant Leak

Hello again, I have a massive coolant leak that began today. This evening, I noticed a huge puddle of coolant that dumped on the ground. When I looked on the underside of the engine, it came from the passenger side. It seemed as if it only dumped that much coolant when I turned the engine on. When I turned it off, it stopped the huge coolant lost but dropped slightly. I
checked the car for codes and there are none, but there is the low coolant indicator on the dash. I also noticed that when I turned the heat all the way up to high, it wasn't blowing any hot air at all. Even though last week the heat worked just fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Front Passenger side while engine running.

Last edited by Junius; 10-03-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At first I was thinking it may be an alternator o-ring failure, but with that volume it has to be a hose somewhere hidden. I don't complain though with the cooling systems on these cars. They are pretty solid, compared to my 2001 740il. The 2001 7 has a notorious saying: the car was designed by engineers, but the cooling system was designed by an artist! Just make sure when you find and fix the problem, to dilute the coolant to proper specs. Im not entirely sure with Audi but most german cars usually run 50 coolant/50 distilled water or 60/40.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

There are many things that can leak coolant. The radiator and immediate hoses are out, wrong location. Heater core and associated hoses could be the source. A little out of my forte, here.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Heater core and associated hoses could be the source.
X2
Old 10-03-2015, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully its just a hose that came loose..... Its weird because in the last month, after the timing belt and associated parts were replaced, the car ran fine, no leaks of any kind, then today, the HUGE coolant leak from the passenger side while running and NO cabin heat whatsoever. I doubt it, but could this be a oil cooler problem?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Junius
Hopefully its just a hose that came loose..... Its weird because in the last month, after the timing belt and associated parts were replaced, the car ran fine, no leaks of any kind, then today, the HUGE coolant leak from the passenger side while running and NO cabin heat whatsoever. I doubt it, but could this be a oil cooler problem?
Thought the oil cooler is located on the driver side?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jlbell
Thought the oil cooler is located on the driver side?
I'm not exactly sure
Old 10-04-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

The heater will not work if you are low on coolant or have a air bubble in the system, so that is why the heater is not working.

As far as the leak goes check your radiator connections. the quick release could have popped off, also check your other hose connections. Symptoms lead to a hose clamp that failed or was never tightened and after driving the hose came loose, or you had a dry rotted hose that failed. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sbcrazy
The heater will not work if you are low on coolant or have a air bubble in the system, so that is why the heater is not working.

As far as the leak goes check your radiator connections. the quick release could have popped off, also check your other hose connections. Symptoms lead to a hose clamp that failed or was never tightened and after driving the hose came loose, or you had a dry rotted hose that failed. Good luck.
Ok I will do that. I don't think it is a heater core because this morning, I went in the car to check the carpet to see if it was wet and was completely dry. I also never smelled any coolant in the cabin whatsoever. My air condition worked perfectly earlier yesterday on a 60 mile trip.

Quick Reply: Massive Coolant Leak