A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maybe this will solve your trunk closing issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default maybe this will solve your trunk closing issue

I had a deck lid that would close when I pushed the button, but the soft-close motor did not engage and pull the lid till it latched. Instead, when the lid got to the closed position it then reversed itself and returned to the open posotion.

I adjusted the bar in the trunk sill that the latch strikes and holds to a more elevated position. That adjustment allowed the lid to stay closed when the motor closed it. However, the striker being higher meant that the lid no longer fit flush with the body.

So, after looking to see how the lid is adjusted as to position it seemed to me that the key lay in the three bolts that hold the passenger side hinge to the quarter pannel. I loosened the bolts and adjusted the deck lid so that it fits flush with the quarter pannel even with the slightly raised striker position that allows the lid to close via the auto close button. Also ther is an adjustable pad at the back of the hinge...I dont know exactly how it comes into play, but I dialed it all the way down incase it would keep the hinge from getting to its lowest possible position.

The soft close function still does not engage to pull the lid snug...the lid simply closes in one motion, the same as it does by hand. I'm just happy to have the auto-close feature available once again, and I see no need to get the soft-close functioning. I hope this might be an answer for others of you who have the same symptoms i had.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not aware there was a soft close function for the trunk. It just brings it down to the point that the shocks don't support then the trunk lid drops shut. I have an 05 and that's how they work, but I had to adjust mine the same as you for the same problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines an 04 and has the soft close too.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interestingly enough I've got a 07 S8 and no soft close either... Wonder if it's possible to retrofit it somehow... shouldn't be that hard to do...
Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
I was not aware there was a soft close function for the trunk. It just brings it down to the point that the shocks don't support then the trunk lid drops shut. I have an 05 and that's how they work, but I had to adjust mine the same as you for the same problem.
Not sure exactly what it's doing but my 05 does this:
- starts to close and gets very near closed
- engages as though it was by hand, but not hard
- get's sucked down a little more by the motor

My guess is it disengages the motor at the last second to let the lid "slam" shut, then snugs it up.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have soft close on my rear deck lid. It operates similar to jakematic's description.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if that was a seperate option or maybe mine isnt working correctly.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I beleive the 'softclose' function is actually the latch being fully engaged - it suggests to me that your lid is not fully latching even when you close it fully manually.

The softclose motor operates on mine even when closed manually.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Not sure exactly what it's doing but my 05 does this:
- starts to close and gets very near closed
- engages as though it was by hand, but not hard
- get's sucked down a little more by the motor

My guess is it disengages the motor at the last second to let the lid "slam" shut, then snugs it up.
Yep - that's what mine does too.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If your lid is "falling" into place at some point in travel, the gas shocks are most likely approaching the end of their life. My lid is controlled until it's resting about 1/2" above the fender line and then it's pulled in the rest of the way by the latch.

Quick Reply: maybe this will solve your trunk closing issue