A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MICHELIN SUPER SPORT ANYONE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MICHELIN SUPER SPORT ANYONE?

From what I've read this tire only has good review. It a dearly new micheline tire.

Also, does it make sense to put these type of tires for all year round use if I just use car on weekends and when it snows, car never used??

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice tire great grip soft compound. Won't last long at all though. For me I want a tire that lasts longer.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The Pilot Super Sport does come with a 30K mileage warranty. I ran a set of PS2 and they were very nice handling tires. The PSS are suppose to be better in every category. I ultimately went with the Sport Pilot A/S because they come with a 45K mileage warranty. I know I gave up some handling for the slightly longer wear.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default How about all year round use for a summer performance tire in NY? No snow use.

Are summer performance tires OK to be use in NY all year round if car isn't use in snow? SUV for those conditions.

Are low temperatures during winter affect the way summer tire performs?

I put about 10k a year on the A8, so the Super Sport will last me a few years. Good for me.

Super Sport should handle the rain without a problem.

On my last vehicle(LS460) I used Pilots Plus A/S and tranformed car's handling/comfort.

If the Super Sports are better handlingwise, it must drasticly transform the experience of driving an A8.

So, is it wise for all year round use?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Can't wait to get some Pilot Super Sports

These are sweet sweet tires. I test drove these on a controlled experiment the week they were released. We used a series of test cars (BMWs) and had two identical cars (same pads, pad wear, mileage, etc) with two sets of tires-- the Super Sports and the same equivalent tire from Continental. The grip was amazingly better, the braking was shorter, they did well on wet, and the tire wear was MUCH better. Part of the underlying reason is the contact patch. The Michelin contact patch is the best in class. These are performance tires and perfect for our cars. They are actually the standard build on Ferrari and a number of super cars. The tires speak for themselves. Worth every penny.

The tires do not last as long as regular (non-sticky) tires. But these last much longer than the competing comparable tire. They are quiet and smooth on the highway. The sidewall is firm and gives accurate and confident steering response.

I drove a slalom and the difference was clear against the competing tire. The most noticeable thing was the wear. The competing Contis were eaten up to shreds while the Michelins held up well.
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to mention...after the experiment we took an R8 onto the track with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. Mmmmm so good! The handling on the corners was wild. Remember these are sticky tires...similar compounds to racing tires. But with a road contact patch and longer life than racing tires.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You also forgot to mention that you work for Michelin.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This is great and all. But for me at least and I think I can speak for the majority here; we want a nice long lasting tire. Most of us won't be tracking or racing our a8's. to each their own, I'd rather have a higher tread wear and longer lasting tire even if it comes with less performance.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
This is great and all. But for me at least and I think I can speak for the majority here; we want a nice long lasting tire. Most of us won't be tracking or racing our a8's. to each their own, I'd rather have a higher tread wear and longer lasting tire even if it comes with less performance.
Few feet shorter braking may save lives. Everlasting tires just money. Toyota Camry saves money even better.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I expect 60000 miles from my performance tires. Last set of Michelins got 55000 so not bad. I use them in the warm months and Xice tires in the cold. The Xice have about 50000 and are good for another season or two.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 11-10-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Reply: MICHELIN SUPER SPORT ANYONE?