A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI 1070->4610 upgrade & NAV v4->v8 Complete! No issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI 1070->4610 upgrade & NAV v4->v8 Complete! No issues!

For reference, I have a late 2005 with Bluetooth. The sticker in the doorwell shows a 3/05 mfr date.
This should provide another datapoint for folks who are upgrading.

I ordered the original 2008/2009 Nav upgrade from eBay and the 4610 MMI upgrade "kit" from genuineaudiparts (PN 4F0 998 961, 9/2008 date, SVM-Code: MMIUSK864). No burned copies.

NAV UPGRADE
I did the Nav upgrade first and it took maybe 2 minutes not including locating the Nav unit and loading the CD. After it completed, the streets in my subdivision were immediately visible unlike before. I didn't have to drive to some recognizable street as the instructions stated might be required.

MMI UPGRADE
I then did the MMI upgrade 1070 straight to 4610 (no 3360 intermediate step). It took 38 minutes total for both discs including rebooting the MMI after the cleanup disc plus a couple of minutes of thinking through the process prior to each step.

Details:
-Rather than mess with all the battery chargers, I just left the car running for the whole process.
-I stayed in the car (passenger seat), but left the front windows down in case I had to leave via Dukes of Hazard style.
-All doors and trunk were closed.
-The automatic headlights were turned off.
-The interior lights were turned off.
-The A/C was turned off.
-The radio volume was muted.
-All CDs were removed from the changer.
-Pressed and held RETURN while holding SETUP for maybe 2 seconds before the hidden menu was accessed.
-The bottom right button to the MMI **** accessed the Software Upgrade section. There are a couple of clicks on OK and such as precautions, but then it started. The process was the same for both disks.

I ran the cleaner disk first. It took 7 minutes, and then I clicked the MMI REBOOT setting.
Then I ejected the cleanup disk and installed the upgrade disk (both in slot 1), and it ran for the remainder of the 38 minutes including rebooting the MMI afterwards as before.

EDIT
Fortunately I had a picture of my previous MMI version on my phone so I was able to post both: (10.7.0 on the left is the before, and 46.1.0 on the right being the new one)
Attached Images   

Last edited by AudiOx; 03-11-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, first time upgrading to 3360 I did with charger, but second time going to 4610 I did exactly the same way as you did.
Did not notice a difference though since I dont have AMI yet
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

That's the way it should be done. May be with battery charger but that's not really important.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, one issue found, but now fixed.

I went to make a phone call this evening and it stated "telephone not installed". Uh oh.

So tonight when I got back home, I reinstalled the Cleanup Disk which supposedly has the phone upgrade stuff. Sure enough, whereas before it took 7 minutes for the first disk and only got through 8% as I recall, this time it took just under 30 minutes and got through the whole 100%.
After rebooting the MMI, I checked the Telephone mode, and it was working. The Bluetooth paired to my iPhone right away too.

I verified the HVAC settings do not display on the MMI screen when being adjusted as others have pointed out. I kind of like that better anyway. Also the speed settings and battery level are gone as others have reported.
I'll turn those back on with VagCom tomorrow.

So if it the Cleanup Disk would have loaded correctly the first time, the total for both disks would have been right at 1 hour.

Last edited by AudiOx; 03-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When I upgraded mine the same thing happened. I think it was because I forgot to turn off bluetooth on my phone the first time, so it was still connected to the car doh!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default question on the version #, I'm looking at an '05 also with BT

which shows - "6346 10.7.0 0437" in the MMI menu. I think that's version "10" but I haven't seen a version 10 listed until I saw your post. If I go ahead with the car, I might use this as part of the negotiation. Your upgrade for both the MMI and Map data seem pretty straight foward so maybe I won't make it a big deal.

Is this version pretty stable?

thanks
Bob

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by AudiOx
For reference, I have a late 2005 with Bluetooth. The sticker in the doorwell shows a 3/05 mfr date.
This should provide another datapoint for folks who are upgrading.

I ordered the original 2008/2009 Nav upgrade from eBay and the 4610 MMI upgrade "kit" from genuineaudiparts (PN 4F0 998 961, 9/2008 date, SVM-Code: MMIUSK864). No burned copies.

NAV UPGRADE
I did the Nav upgrade first and it took maybe 2 minutes not including locating the Nav unit and loading the CD. After it completed, the streets in my subdivision were immediately visible unlike before. I didn't have to drive to some recognizable street as the instructions stated might be required.

MMI UPGRADE
I then did the MMI upgrade 1170 straight to 4610 (no 3360 intermmediate step). It took 38 minutes total for both discs including rebooting the MMI after the cleanup disc plus a couple of minutes of thinking through the process prior to each step.

Details:
-Rather than mess with all the battery chargers, I just left the car running for the whole process.
-I stayed in the car (passenger seat), but left the front windows down in case I had to leave via Dukes of Hazard style.
-All doors and trunk were closed.
-The automatic headlights were turned off.
-The interior lights were turned off.
-The A/C was turned off.
-The radio volume was muted.
-All CDs were removed from the changer.
-Pressed SETUP and held RETURN for maybe 2 seconds before the hidden menu was accessed.
-The bottom right button to the MMI **** accessed the Software Upgrade section. There are a couple of clicks on OK and such as precautions, but then it started. The process was the same for both disks.

I ran the cleaner disk first. It took 7 minutes, and then I clicked the MMI REBOOT setting.
Then I ejected the cleanup disk and installed the upgrade disk (both in slot 1), and it ran for the remainder of the 38 minutes including rebooting the MMI afterwards as before.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Upgrade Instructions

Originally Posted by AudiOx
Were you following some sort of Audi instructions or just "winging it?"
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A8CT
which shows - "6346 10.7.0 0437" in the MMI menu. I think that's version "10" but I haven't seen a version 10 listed until I saw your post. If I go ahead with the car, I might use this as part of the negotiation. Your upgrade for both the MMI and Map data seem pretty straight foward so maybe I won't make it a big deal.

Is this version pretty stable?

thanks
Bob

---------------------------------------------------------------------
10.7.0 is your version, just like mine.
So this should be the same process for yours.
I've added pictures of my before/after versions.

EDIT
46.1.0 has been out a little while now (my disks show a 2008 copyright date). That combined with the fact that I haven't read of any complaints with it on here tell me it's pretty stable. Actually I haven't read of any stability issues with any of the versions. I know my surround settings would revert back to default frequently, but otherwise 10.7.0 was solid. It has never locked up on my since buying the car last June.

Last edited by AudiOx; 03-11-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess there was some 'winging' involved, but I proceeded methodically and assured that any process the MMI was doing was fully complete before moving on.

The disks did not come with instructions. I read on the forums for a couple of hours to get the process down. However there wasn't a lot on the specifics of the 2-disk set that comes with 46.1.0.

-The Cleanup Disk does list CD#1 on the disk and CD#2 for the other, therefore I started with CD#1.
-I did the install of CD#1 per instructions on this forum, and just made sure it finished. You know when it's done because the MMI screen returns to what it looked like before you started except that it allows you to reboot the MMI, which I did.
-Then I took out CD#1, put in CD#2 and repeated the methodical process exactly.

Somewhere on the forums I read that it may take multiple times (I think a quote from the TSB). I also read that the cleanup disk includes the telephone stuff. Considering it only ran for 7 minutes before, I remember it only getting to 8%, and my issues were only related to the phone, it kind of clued me in that I should reran CD#1 again.

It would be nice if when you click "Software Upgrade" on the MMI that it stated "Insert Disk #1-Cleaner Disk" and then stepped you through it. As long as the download process returns to the original screen, then you are good to do whatever. You just don't want to interfere halfway through a disk-download due to a battery dying, or fiddling with electical gadgets during the process.

Last edited by AudiOx; 03-11-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 612 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Nice write up!

Process/steps all made good sense to me from prior multiple upgrade experience.

Quick Reply: MMI 1070->4610 upgrade & NAV v4->v8 Complete! No issues!