A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI 1070->4610 upgrade & NAV v4->v8 Complete! No issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46.10 install instructions

Originally Posted by AudiOx
I guess there was some 'winging' involved, but I proceeded methodically and assured that any process the MMI was doing was fully complete before moving on.

The disks did not come with instructions. I read on the forums for a couple of hours to get the process down. However there wasn't a lot on the specifics of the 2-disk set that comes with 46.1.0.

-The Cleanup Disk does list CD#1 on the disk and CD#2 for the other, therefore I started with CD#1.
-I did the install of CD#1 per instructions on this forum, and just made sure it finished. You know when it's done because the MMI screen returns to what it looked like before you started except that it allows you to reboot the MMI, which I did.
-Then I took out CD#1, put in CD#2 and repeated the methodical process exactly.

Somewhere on the forums I read that it may take multiple times (I think a quote from the TSB). I also read that the cleanup disk includes the telephone stuff. Considering it only ran for 7 minutes before, I remember it only getting to 8%, and my issues were only related to the phone, it kind of clued me in that I should reran CD#1 again.

It would be nice if when you click "Software Upgrade" on the MMI that it stated "Insert Disk #1-Cleaner Disk" and then stepped you through it. As long as the download process returns to the original screen, then you are good to do whatever. You just don't want to interfere halfway through a disk-download due to a battery dying, or fiddling with electical gadgets during the process.
I'm glad that things eventually worked out for you, but for others reading this forum I would strongly recommend against winging MMI upgrades. In this case there are instructions referenced in other threads (RVU - Repairing telephone preparation TSB). It specifically instructs the user to run CD#1 twice, once to update the bluetooth module firmware and a second time to update the BT software (I assume this is code running in the MMI). CD#2 is then used to update other MMI components.

And while it would be nice if the update process were simpler, one should remember that Audi designed this process to be performed by trained service technicians, not owners.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Btw I still have the ability to turn off tire pressure monitor after upgrading. What about you, guys?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subit0
I'm glad that things eventually worked out for you, but for others reading this forum I would strongly recommend against winging MMI upgrades. In this case there are instructions referenced in other threads (RVU - Repairing telephone preparation TSB). It specifically instructs the user to run CD#1 twice, once to update the bluetooth module firmware and a second time to update the BT software (I assume this is code running in the MMI). CD#2 is then used to update other MMI components.

And while it would be nice if the update process were simpler, one should remember that Audi designed this process to be performed by trained service technicians, not owners.
Fair enough. I read through the instructions on the MMI upgrade TSB (not the one you mentioned for tel. prep.) and it didn't mention order or multiple installs. Part of why I wrote this procedure, was the complete info is not easy to find on AW. There are bits and pieces scattered over dozens of threads, and you can search for hours and not settle your confusion.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Through...

the MMI screen, or via VAG COM?

Always exists as an option in VAG COM, but in my case it was lost as an on screen MMI option along the way at the dealer somehow. I didn't notice it closely enough to various work to back track to how/what caused it. Could have been the update the dealer did to 33.xx, or a Nav disk they had to replace (which sometimes seem to have MMI code with them), or a patch for the angle sensor, or various other things. Some have it in MMI, some don't (and none in later years IIRC), but no one seems to know exactly what triggers it going away as an option like happened to mine.