A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI 4140 Update Problem Resolved - Dealer has a solution...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM
PAC
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally MMI back up and running with NO issues, now I don't

feel so bad seeing what others have gone thru.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that might not even be supported. typically, older revs have required multiple steps.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah it failed on one of the interim updates
Old 04-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're supposed to call AoA helpline first for that version. what's the status of it now?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Up to date and all set..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have also fried the Interface and need the display module 07 replaced. I am trying out a copy called Naviservice in Poland, they say the can program the Interface for my car and have shipped it out for $400. Will post after installing if they have a solution to my fried MMI Interface.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
PAC
AudiWorld Member

Default you may be able to have your old one fixed for a spare

two years ago when I fried mine, I asked the dealer for the old module and they said there was a $250 core fee for it...so I declined
Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default MARCH 2010 WARNING--"DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME"

I see the post is back after a two year rest. I posted to this back then as well per what is in the earlier message string. It takes a while to sort through, but bottom line if you try to upgrade MMI past 3360 (i.e. to the current revs in the 4000 series) and you are starting from before 3360, you will generate a $2000 fix. As sure as the sun will rise.

This part of the car is user upgradable, but only with A LOT of care. Important for current owners to know, especially as the AudiWorld D3 board shifts more and more to second owners as I have been seeing the past year or two. It is not a simple download, slam bam, walk away, it's done, nor something to go try to get a pirated disk somewhere (that costs less than $15 at the dealer anyway) and try it. Literally, people who have walked away from the car have had things like the battery run down before it's done and also locked it up permanently.

If you don't follow the steps exactly, all of which have been documented, it's a big mistake, that is too tempting for many. To me, $2,000 for unfortunate user error/lack of experience is the ultimate nightmare. Plus, the embarrassment factor of trying to tell the dealer the story of how exactly it actually happened...and, it's hard to invent a story around this one.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-26-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I see the post is back after a two year rest. I posted to this back then as well per what is in the earlier message string. It takes a while to sort through, but bottom line if you try to upgrade MMI past 3360 (i.e. to the current revs in the 4000 series) and you are starting from before 3360, you will generate a $2000 fix. As sure as the sun will rise.

This part of the car is user upgradable, but only with A LOT of care. Important for current owners to know, especially as the AudiWorld D3 board shifts more and more to second owners as I have been seeing the past year or two. It is not a simple download, slam bam, walk away, it's done, nor something to go try to get a pirated disk somewhere (that costs less than $15 at the dealer anyway) and try it. Literally, people who have walked away from the car have had things like the battery run down before it's done and also locked it up permanently.

If you don't follow the steps exactly, all of which have been documented, it's a big mistake, that is too tempting for many. To me, $2,000 for unfortunate user error/lack of experience is the ultimate nightmare. Plus, the embarrassment factor of trying to tell the dealer the story of how exactly it actually happened...and, it's hard to invent a story around this one.
I agree with you that an unfortunate user error/lack of experience is the ultimate nightmare. I might have found a significantly less costing fix than the dealers $2000 charge. I have been doing much research and talking to my local Audi dealer's top technician. These modules are all programable. They are like hard drives basically. So after much research I found a company called NAVISERVICE in Poland who specializes in Audi/VW navigation systems. After speaking to them over the phone they explained to me that they have the same programming that the dealer has, and that they have Interfaces (J523 Module) available to program to my cars options. I sent them a list of my cars options and VIN number. I am giving them a shot for $400 shipped they programmed and shipped me out a new Interface/Display Module/J523 Module part number 4F0 910 729. I am going to either have the dealer install it or speak to the technician i made friends with and see if he would do it as a Sunday job. I will post back on if it worked out as an alternative solution.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Hopefully that does work out

My experience with AMI is that the system clearly sees both the CD and the AMI control unit as drives as well. I would have guessed the MMI controller might have been akin to the CPU for the system. The Audi Self Study Publication says it is the master control unit for the infotainment system. It is behind the glove box by the way.

In any case, good luck on your attempt here. Similarly, I have noticed on ebay some of the AMI stuff as well as older RNS-E (Euro Nav for the D2 or C5) does seem to source from Poland and Lithuania, often advertised as rebuilt.

From prior posts the MMI software does seem different from the US to Europe, so hopefully again they get that programmed right. A post or two from our Euro D3 brethren struck me that maybe the 3rd and fourth digits of the version are different. Like we have 3360 (33.60), and that "60" part seemed to vary. Might have been 50 for example. Thus, I think the first two digits are probably the basic rev/version, while the next two may have to do w/ the localization.

If that doesn't work, you could try to get a box from a US junkyard. There must be totaled D3's, and very unlikely the box would be damaged given it is deep inside--unless the car was flooded, like a Katrina nightmare. But, the yards probably have little idea exactly what or where it is.

Quick Reply: MMI 4140 Update Problem Resolved - Dealer has a solution...